Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Building Model War planes

Just wondering does anybody take an interest in building model airplanes.  Here is the thing though,  the thought of hand painting my finished warplane puts me off,  well because i can't paint and would mess up the finished product.   I don't see the point in spending ages building a fantastic B-17,  Mustang, or Spitfire and then destroying it with blobs of paint every where.

I know some of the cheaper models for children you don't have to paint as they come pre-painted.    I guess what i am looking for is a nice authentic looking warplane that i can build.

I certainly don't mind spending extra money on something i like,  that i don't have to paint  :rolleyes:

Any tips of were you purchased your model airplanes?    Maybe a brand name you recommend? 

These are fantastic but require brushes and paint  :mellow:

I'm very in to building model airliners. I've never built a warbird, but the skills necessary are the same. If you're worried about painting, keep in mind that painting the livery/camoflage of an aircraft does not require manually painting using a brush. Instead, modelers use airbrushes, or even hobby-specific spray cans to paint their models. Of course, some hand-painting is necessary to touch up tiny buts that you missed with the spray can or to paint small parts, but it's quite easy once you get the hang of it. Here's the thing, though... If you've never built a model before, you first one WILL look terrible! However, each one will look much better than the last as you get the hang of it. I'd suggest starting with a cheap kit (there are many single-engine WW2 warbirds that you can find at your hobby store for under $10) and working your way up to building a big B-17 kit or the like. It's a great hobby! In fact, I'd be building a model right now if I could, but I don't think a work bench would fit in my college dorm (and my roommate wouldn't appreciate the glue/paint fumes  :P ).

It's really sort of all or nothing in the scale model area - you can get nicely finished metal miniatures in the same scale and for about the same price as new kits.  They are very nice indeed.  I don't know of any pre-painted kits that require more than a cursory sort of assembly that adds parts that might shake loose in the box.  You can still get relatively inexpensive full kits that will allow you to build them, paint them, and heave them out if you hate the result.  It really isn't that difficult with a bit of practice - I'm 70 years old now and I've been doing scale modeling since I was 8 years old so I've made every mistake that you can make in building and painting and I've actually gotten pretty good over the years.  At any rate for a decent source, take a look here: http://www.historicaviation.com/Models-Kits/departments/136/ where they have a bit of everything.  If you aren't in the US, there is Hannant's in the UK, and a couple of Oz equivalents that I can't think of at the moment, as well as companies in Hong Kong and Taiwan that do international mail order at reasonable prices.

DJ

I think if you handcraft a model aircraft out of brass or balsa wood then the finish look of it is fantastic and you never need to paint it. The look of a Revel model can look great with a proper coating of paint as the plastic finish isn't that great

There are also many plans that can be purchased or downloaded and printed off and you buy your own Balsa, this way saves a tremendous amount of money

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Balsa+Spitfire+plans&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g0byVOnqK8TamAXpwoGQDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955

Edit: 

This one looks pretty sweet 
http://www.guillow.com/b-17gflyingfortress.aspx

Matthew Kane

I´ve got several revell models here: FW-190, Me262, DC-7 Clipper and an 747-400. But I haven´t done anything for ages...

I have quite a large collection of kits, but haven't built anything for about three years now after I had to move to a smaller home and lost the space I used for making kits.

Here's a few of my later builds:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63322-from-russia-with-love/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66365-bristol-beaufighter-mkif-now-with-better-pics/?hl=pielstick

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/72282-butcher-bird/?hl=pielstick

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67742-focke-wulf-ta183a/?hl=pielstick

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913413-tamiya-spitfire-mki/?hl=pielstick

If you're serious about taking up model making as a hobby then invest the money - and most importantly time - in learning to airbrush properly. It's a learning curve for sure and one that can involve a lot of frustration until you know what you're doing (hence use cheaper kits to practice on until you take the airbrush to your latest materpiece), but the results pay dividends when it comes to the finish you can achieve.

If you're worried about painting, keep in mind that painting the livery/camoflage of an aircraft does not require manually painting using a brush. Instead, modelers use airbrushes, or even hobby-specific spray cans to paint their models. Of course, some hand-painting is necessary to touch up tiny buts that you missed with the spray can or to paint small parts, but it's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

It's really sort of all or nothing in the scale model area
Hello Hamoody and DJ, thanks for the reply,  the more i think about it,  im thinking you's are right,  painting your finished creation would be your own personal stamp so im going to try it. 
And yes i have no dought my first one will look a bit wonky  :rolleyes:

I think if you handcraft a model aircraft out of brass or balsa wood then the finish look of it is fantastic and you never need to paint it.
Hey Matthew,  they look great,  deffo will be on my list when i get better. 

I´ve got several revell models here: FW-190
Love the FW-190,  class lookiing

Wow Nick they look fantastic, perfect modeling,  Love the older stuff.

If you're serious about taking up model making as a hobby then invest the money - and most importantly time - in learning to airbrush properly. It's a learning curve for sure and one that can involve a lot of frustration until you know what you're doing (hence use cheaper kits to practice on until you take the airbrush to your latest materpiece), but the results pay dividends when it comes to the finish you can achieve.

Yes your right,  i was a bit nervous about the whole thing but i'm going to jump in.   Thank you Nick for the tips.  I joined up Britmodeller  today,  very happy with myself, great spot altogether,  all the info in one place.

Thank you for all Replys 

I've not been active on Britmodeller for a couple of years now. However, it's a great site with a lot of very talented guys who are only too happy to offer help and advice. Take some time to read through the "in progress" and "tips and techniques" sub fora because they are a treasure trove of information. You'll certainly need their help if you decide to start using an airbrush.

The best advice I can give is don't try and run before you can walk. Take it nice and slow - just get the basic construction and painting techniques down first before you try the more advanced stuff. Stick to basic, easy kits and basic, tidy paint jobs. If you try to do too much too soon it's a recipe for disappointment and frustration.

I'm hoping to move back to a bigger place by the summer and I'll be breaking out the kits again and all my gear.

Hello Nick.  Yes i found myself in my local hobby shop today,  like a child in a sweet shop.   I will be taking your advice and starting slow.   Looking forward to it now.  Thank you for all your tips.  I will post my first one when i complete it   :rolleyes: