Sign in to follow this  
BillStewart

Anyone using Live ATC Auto Play in 2.5?

Hi, 

Just found out about this program and installed along with the required VLC player, but I'm not able to get it to work.  Supposedly, once you select a frequency on com1 that you have a liveatc.net pls file for, it should open VLC and start playing.  VLC won't open for me.  I contacted the developer but haven't heard back, so I figured I would try here.

Thanks

I do have a registered version of FSUIPC

Also running Win 7 64bit.  Not sure if that is an issue or not.

Hi Bill

Rather than delete the thread it would be better to post the solution to the problem in case anyone else has the same issue.

Also how is it working? Is it worth it? I might give it a go.

Chris

good idea.  I was trying to get it to work in the  carenado b1900d.  realized my radio was using comm2  when the live atc program is defaulted for comm1.  Also, noticed when activating the log file for the live atc program, it was running in the background for  a few mins assigning the pls files that I downloaded for several airports from the site. so maybe I needed to wait a few minutes for it to finish adding everything.    I just tested it briefly at KBUF (After saving the PLS file for that airport via live atc).  It worked and I like it.  It's free, so I certainly recommend it.

Curious, are they recordings you make beforehand to playback as you fly or are they actually "live" ATC as you fly from airport to airport?

thx

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Both. You can access either archived or live streams. The streams change as you change your COM frequency, assuming that you have included the link in LAAP of that live (or archived) stream for that airport and communication type. Most airports do not have public links for their ATC live streams. And the bigger airports have multiple streams for clearance, ground, tower, approach, departure, etc.. Maintaining the LAAP database can get somewhat time consuming.

Also, there is a bug in the most recent version in that the LAAP live stream will "step on" the flight simulator built in ATC audio. The author stated that he is working on a new version to fix that issue .

You can access either archived or live streams. The streams change as you change your COM frequency, assuming that you have included the link in LAAP of that live (or archived) stream for that airport and communication type. Most airports do not have public links for their ATC live streams. And the bigger airports have multiple streams for clearance, ground, tower, approach, departure, etc..

I can't figure out how to access real time, live streams using LAAP. Assuming I can locate such a live stream link, where do I place the link so that LAAP can access it and start broadcasting it in P3D? 

Thanks,

Robert

The LAAP manual is pretty straightforward, but here's a short summary ...

I'm  assuming that you both downloaded either a LAAP freeware or payware license and have Pete Dowson's latest version of the utility MakeRunways installed and run:

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

1. Here's a global map of all the live links:

http://www.liveatc.net/feedmap/feedmap.html

2. Pick out one or more files and download them. Make sure that the pls files are named as described in the LAAP manual and place it in the folder:

<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\LiveATC Freq

(or the equivalent FSX folder)

3. Make sure that the line in the file LAAP.ini points to the correct location of the VLC media player:

VLCFolder = <drive>:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

4. Run the sim, go to the airport that you installed streams and tune in one of the frequencies that you installed.

Jay, thanks for the tutorial. I just started playing around with LAAP with archived files. I had no idea you could download a .pls file that connects you to a live stream. Thanks again for linking to that map page at liveatc.net. It was very helpful. 

Robert

My question: How do I handle an airport such as KALB, which has a single streaming file for 3 different frequencies?

The live link downloaded from the site link provided by Jay is a single file which is apparently for 3 frequencies - Ground, Tower, and Approach. In setting up the proper nomenclature for this file to be used in LAAP, do I create 3 copies and label them GND, TWR and APP, or do I just use one entry? If I use one entry, which do I use?

I suspect that even if I use 3 entries, which seems to make the most sense so that I get audio no matter which of the 3 frequencies I dial in, I will still get the mix of all 3 frequencies. Am I analyzing this correctly?

Thanks,

Robert

Am I analyzing this correctly

Yes, correct. You need to create 3 files with different names (GND, TWR,DEP, etc.). Unfortunately, the KALB live stream is combined and there's nothing LAAP can do about that. With three files, you will hear all three transmission types no matter which of the 3 frequencies that you are tuned to. One thing that I don't understand about the way that LAAP works is how departure and arrival frequencies are assigned via the MakeRunway files. And then there's the issue with ARTCCs. Some of those work and some don't, even if you have a PLS file. It must have something to do with how LAAP interprets the MakeRunways files.

Or .... you could volunteer to monitor and stream the KALB frequencies separately.  :lol:

http://www.liveatc.net/ct/fcontact.php

Jay, thanks for the confirmation. Sorry, but I'm some 3000 miles away from KALB, so I don't think I'm in a position to volunteer. In fact, I just checked and you may be in range. Now, I could help out if you want to suggest KAPC . . .

Thanks again for the help.

Robert