My neighbour has a similar setup to mine for FSX. I use 2 monitors, one 24" for the instruments, ATC, etc. and a 27" for the main screen. Both are set to HD and picture quality with MS2 sceneries is excellent. My neighbour however decided on a 40" HD TV as the main screen. He also has a Saphire graphic card and HDMI connection to the TV. But the quality of the picture is really poor as if the definition was distinctly lower. The settings for both Display 0 and Display 1 are 1920x1080x32 just like mine.

My first thought was a problem with the TV itself but other simulators like Dirt3 show a perfecly clear and crisp picture.

Has anybody had a similar problem or have an idea as to what the problem could be?

Very thankful for any help.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I posted it on the FSX because I believe it's related to FSX rather than display/graphic cards but it could usefully be on both

Perfect picture on my Samsung, I also run in DSR mode. There are setup instructions on you tube and the net, just do a search for the TV that he has.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I have a 40" TV set up as a monitor and a 23" monitor.

I used the Control panel to set the resolution of my screens both hooked up to my pc via HD cords.

I have great resolution and no issues.

My settings for my TV are set for playing HD movies.  And I use the Win7 control panel to set the display for monitor #1 and #2.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

From my personal experience as someone who uses both types of setup (TV and monitors) I can say that I've never owned a television that can match the image quality of a dedicated computer monitor.

I play mostly on a 37" Panasonic television (as it's convenient) but it's immediately noticable when switching to a monitor how much clearer everything is (at 1920x1080). Plus you have to remember that 1080p at 40" is going to look worse than 1080p at 24", as you're increasing the size of the picture and not increasing the source resolution.

I find some games look better than others on a TV, games with a lot of post processing such as Dirt3 will make up for the deficiencies of the screen by smoothing everything out. But if you're looking at a mostly static image like the Windows desktop, or a cockpit in FSX which is displaying a lot of fine detail the picture does appear grainy on a televsion screen. At the end of the day televisions were not designed with the sole purpose of displaying computer images, so there's going to be a tradeoff somewhere :-)

Tim Nickerson

Nugat, I agree with you and it's what I told my neighbour. I guess it all comes down to pixel size. They are starting to make monitors larger than 27" now but what I'm most interested in is to find out if the new 4k TVs will work with Microsoft FSX and if that will enable us to have even nicer setups for Flight Simulation. I can imagine a 40 or even 50" curved 4k television as my main monitor, that would certainly beat any of the 3-monitor layouts that some people use...

Guess this should make a good topic for FSX forum

Threw the years I've used just about every conceivable monitor size and configuration.

Finally had to stop simming at a desk. Some setups were quite immersive but terribly uncomfortable.

Nothing beats a 50" or larger 4K TV/Monitor using these new 900 series GPU's .

My 55" was so good I decided to go 78". It's amazing.

2 GTX 970's in SLI does very nicely at a reasonable price. Providing 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz

I prefer TrackIR with 1 large screen rather than multi monitors.

My personal experience of coarse.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Are you referring to FSX as the Flight Sim? In that case this is the confirmation I was looking for that a 4k monitor can be hooked up to FSX. However I will probably have to wait a little for the 4k TVs to drop in price as I will most certainly also need to upgrade my PC, most importantly my video card which is not up to it right now.