Sign in to follow this  
Quink

Problem with frozen virtual cockpit views

For several months now since I first installed my new PMDG 737 all has functioned as expected with few if any problems. 

That came to a screeching halt about four days ago.

Up until that time I had been able to use my Logitech Trackball mouse to move about the various views available in the VC cockpit in the following manner;

• When in VC COCKPIT, I could use my mouse's Trackball to move my pointer to any place on that screen and when hovering above a button, switch or control the pointer would change to the appropriate finger or cupped palm to  activate the button or control beneath it. I could also use my mouse wheel to roll towards or away from the screen.  When I wanted to move my point of view in to different area in the same screen I could tap the SPACE bar and a vertical cross, i.e., PLUS sign ( + ) would appear and using the track ball I could now move my pointer to almost any area in the cockpit with out having to go to the VIRTUAL COCKPIT and select a different viewing area from the drop menu   

The day before yesterday I began to program the buttons on my joystick so as to facilitate the changing of the cockpit views inflight and, when finished, Voila, SNAFU. Almost nothing worked!

• As before, I could select VIRTUAL cockpit and find myself seated in the VC Captain's seat but that was as far as it went. I could now still select another VC view but only by using the MENU dropdown box; not by a button or key. I could use the pointer to activate a button or switch on the VC view panels selected but could not hit the SPACE bar and have the plus sign and have virtually almost no extended view of the entire cockpit as before.     

As it stands now my favorite airplane is virtually unflyable....................................HELP PLEASE :(

My sincere thanks in advance

I think you'll get a better response if you ask this in the FSX forums as it seems to be a problem stemming from your joystick and mouse assignments.

The day before yesterday I began to program the buttons on my joystick so as to facilitate the changing of the cockpit views inflight and, when finished, Voila, SNAFU. Almost nothing worked!

The obvious next step is to delete your button settings.... I have stick controller buttons assigned to step views and lower gear, flaps, etc. and a Kensington trackball.  All working well never a problem.  Sorry, you may have caused the problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

"I think you'll get a better response if you ask this in the FSX forums as it seems to be a problem stemming from your joystick and mouse assignments."

Chris, that was my original thought and I intend to try that but I've been flying Flight Simulator now for quite a few years and in no other aircraft, freeware or payware have I ever seen the method involved in my original posting using the the (+) sign and the SPACE bar until the PMDG 737 NGX.  It was for that reason that felt that it was unique to PMDG and that I posted here first.

Major, I had already deleted all button and key assignments in both FSX and FSUIPC prior to posting.

Any advice as to how to return this manipulation of views in the PMDG 737 it's original default state might solve the problem but I haven't a clue how to do this.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions.

Scroll through the FSX controls setup dialog box and make sure those settings are what you need.  The spacebar keycommand is not PMDG but FSX listed under one of the view commands for pan.

Dan Downs KCRP

Make sure you don't have any of the NGX key commands found in the FMC set as spacebar

Major Dan and Chris,

You were both correct regarding it being FSX and not PMDG and, as my wife says with great frequency, I was wrong.

It took about an hour and a half and a lot of trial and error but all is now squared  away and is functioning as before the above noted problems began,  The specific key that got all working and brought the missing plus sign (+) back was not SPACE bar as had worked before but rather SHIFT+O.

I shall now go eat worms for arguing with the experts.  Thanks again for your help!