Sign in to follow this  
TomEDDW

Question about aerodynamics!

Hey guys!

Just a simple question today for the techfreaks out there...

How can i reduce the fact that an aircraft pitches up while flying a turn?

I know that its the way a real aircraft behaves. But in my specific case i would like to reduce this effect

cause i think it is modelled a bit too exaggerated...

Is there a way to modify the .AIR file (airplane dynamics) that way?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

He must be flying a Fokker Triplane :)

I can't help with the .air file parameters, but are you sure you are dealing with a pitch problem and not a yaw problem? Do you mean the plane pulls into the turn, as if you applied elevator, or that the nose tends to pitch up above the horizon as you bank into the turn, as if you were applying opposite rudder?

Ok, here is what i observe:

Flying level at a constant speed gives me a specific pitch situation. Lets say 5 degrees nose up.

Starting/Flying a turn leads to a loss of lift so the pilot/autopilot needs to pitch up to maintain altitude.

I hope i am right so far...

@G550: I think we were talking about the same thing but i did'nt express the right way...sry for that!

So i would like to reduce the mentioned effect because in my opinion it is too much... :)

Best regards,

Tom

Well, that sounds about right. As you move into the turn, the wing loses lift since its aerodynamic force is being split sideways as well as up, so your nose drops.

So i would like to reduce the mentioned effect because in my opinion it is too much... :)

Are you talking about manually flying or using the AP?

Jay

Well, that sounds about right. As you move into the turn, the wing loses lift since its aerodynamic force is being split sideways as well as up, so your nose drops.

+1

It's well worth revising your vector mathematics when getting serious about aviation physics. Bear in mind as well that the handling characteristics of every aircraft are different. Vagaries such as centre of gravity, centres of aerodynamic pressure/moments and turbulent flow are all fascinating differences between airframes.

I'm talking about Autoflying.

And i'm pretty sure this can be influenced somehow by editing the Aircraft.cfg or the .AIR file but i don't know

which entries to edit!

Tom