Sign in to follow this  
dm123

Cross Country Western US Flight Ideas

Hello everyone,

I want to plan a long flight to explore the western US with BlueSkyScenery, and I wanted to know if you had any ideas? I will be flying this in the A2A Cherokee, and hope to fly VFR by mainly following roads. The scenery coverage is: 

BlueSkyScenery%20Coverage_zpsqz0pskj5.pn[alignright][/alignright]

My current plan is to fly from Montana to Arizona through Wyoming and Idaho with each leg of the journey approximately 200-300 miles. Do you have any good places to fly, or interesting scenery to check out? Thanks for your ideas!

Daniel Miller

Not sure if Monument Valley is included in your scenery...might be right on the edge. But if it is included it would be well worth checking out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley

According to their website, it should be there! Definitely looks like something to visit. 

CNY_South3West_2.jpg

(image from their site)

Daniel Miller

Looking at your coverage area and assuming a 120 kt airplane I would probably try a flight between KCNY Canyonlands and KBCE Bryce Canyon for starters. You should see some good photoreal action on that flight. Don't know about following roads but there's a VOR at Bryce Canyon (112.8, 228°) you could use if you're trying to avoid the magenta line, lol.

Looking at your coverage area and assuming a 120 kt airplane I would probably try a flight between KCNY Canyonlands and KBCE Bryce Canyon for starters. You should see some good photoreal action on that flight. Don't know about following roads but there's a VOR at Bryce Canyon (112.8, 228°) you could use if you're trying to avoid the magenta line, lol.

You're probably right. Its likely best to avoid committing myself to a 12 hour adventure before I try out the photoscenery. Avoiding the magenta line is actually exactly the point of this adventure. No GPS allowed!

Daniel Miller

I didn't mean you should do KCNY-KBCE instead of your adventure, to be honest I sorta missed the adventure part of your post until after I'd posted. :unsure:

In that case I think you're gonna miss too much if you do 2-300nm hops. I've always thought 3U7 Benchmark was a cool airport or at least a boring airport in a cool location. You could start your adventure at 49S Babb, MT and fly over the eastern edge of Glacier Park to Benchmark. It'll be a little tough to find without GPS though and I don't think there are any roads to follow. If you get lost you could divert to Great Falls, the VOR is 115.1 about 60nm due east.