Sign in to follow this  
snapitbik

Is there any Prepar3d 64bit Information?

Hi Simmers and Developers 

Just curios to find some information regarding Upcoming 64bit for Prepar3d,  I  Want to know when prepar3d 64bit released,  how VAS management will be done, likewise normal today prepar3d 32bit  when i load PMDG 777 with Addon Scenery the maximum VAS usage u will have  1.3GB to 1.5GB  at  pre-flight  to  600-700 MB  VAS Memory left when landing with continues flight, so i am just wondering how about in 64bit  what is the maximum it can go with, 

Best Regards

First of all, no one yet knows when (and even if) P3D 64 bit will be there... Secondly, with 64 bit you can stop worrying about VAS because it will be something like 8 TB (yes, terrabyte) and it will take a few years before you can plug that much RAM into your PC... ;) (Current maximum VAS with 32 bit P3D theoretically is 4 GB.)

Actually, VAS isn't limited by the physical memory (RAM or HDD) that is installed on your mobo.

VAS = Virtual Address Space. Quoted from MS; "A virtual address does not represent the actual physical location of an object in memory; instead, the system maintains a page table for each process, which is an internal data structure used to translate virtual addresses into their corresponding physical addresses. Each time a thread references an address, the system translates the virtual address to a physical address." 

Just because we will be able to use more vas, doesn't mean the sim will run that much faster. It will still be limited by your hardware's ability to process the information, and put it on screen.

regards, Jazz

I have edited the topic title to better indicate that this thread is a question, and not any form of an answer!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I would appreciate anyone setting me straight, but 2 things: Would it not be possible to break the program into 2 or more processes, each with their own 4GB of address space? I suppose if it were a viable solution, someone would have done it by now. Second, it seems to me that if there were Terabytes of address space available (64 bit), the program could spend less of its time attempting to avoid an out of memory state and more time processing information. I realize this is a simplistic viewpoint.

I suppose some day, we'll have 8GB processors and motherboards with slots for up to 240GB of RAM running over a 256 bit bus. Of course, we'll have stutters because the VR addon that sends a taxi to my house to take me to the airport, conflicts with the other addon that takes me to the local steak house for victuals, while I'm laid over in Rio.

I would appreciate anyone setting me straight, but 2 things: Would it not be possible to break the program into 2 or more processes, each with their own 4GB of address space?

Yes. This is what Adobe did with some of its Creative Suite (CS) products before they made the jump to 64 bit. Basically, the main executable spawns child executables that handle certain tasks. Unfortunately, coordinating this type of application often has more computational overhead than it is worth. It was just a stopgap measure in the prolonged transition to 64 bit. 

Even now, this is what has been happening to some extent with P3d and FSX-SE. When I run P3d, I have the following 3rd party apps running in parallel and communicating with P3d either via SimConnect or by some alternative method:

• ASN - injects weather
  • AI Traffic Optimizer (Air Traffic Manager) - controls the maximum number of AI aircraft and boats in the user's bubble.
  • Super Traffic Board - Displays information about AI flights, just like a real airport arrival/departure board.
  • TrackIR - handles the viewpoint changes via the hardware controller.
  • VLC media player - plays live ATC streams determined by LAAP.
  • GTN 650/750 GPS units - they work with information provided by the GTN Trainer Lite executable.
  • Couatl.exe - FSDT's scripting app that runs GSX Python code.

EDIT:  Those in total use 0.5 GB.

There are many others available that run in their own 4 GB maximum VAS.

Thanks for the info Jay,

I run many of the same addons (don't have the GPS unit). ASN and SuperTrafficBoard are on a client.