Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Delete FSX now that Prepar3D 2.5 is installed?

I am getting desperately low on hard disk space now that I have successfully installed Prepar3D 2.5, PMDG 777s and all sceneries.

Am I now free to delete FSX and therefore all of its child directories? If so, it will release much needed space.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Technically, if you fully migrated, feel free to delete it.  I haven't deleted mine yet, but did not start it once since I got the PMDG 777 for P3D.  I'm glad I resisted buying the 737 all this time and will exclusively get P3D versions from now on.

sig01.png

I am getting desperately low on hard disk space now that I have successfully installed Prepar3D 2.5, PMDG 777s and all sceneries.

Am I now free to delete FSX and therefore all of its child directories? If so, it will release much needed space.

As yourself this question:

Is there any addon/function of FSX that I don't have in P3D that I will want/need?

That is my plan.  With P3D2.5, I just bit the bullet and reloaded my entire system windows and all.  I only installed FSX so I could migrate some aircraft to P3D.  I did take a few flights in FSX and realized how far P3D has moved away from FSX.  For me, I think FSX is dead for all intents and purposes.

Jeff Callender

You may wish to squirrel away some key directories from FSX (effects, fonts, gauges, modules, simobjects, sounds) just in case some freeware item you download next week relies on a file from FSX which is not included with Prepar3D.

You may also wish to set these directories aside if you think you might ever want to bring an FSX default airplane over into Prepar3D.

-Greg

That's what I'm doing Greg.

I have a "Skeleton" FSX with just some of the folder structure left.

I'm hoping my X-Plane will fit on the SSD drive (it's my new toy for when I want to fly instead of tweak).

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Fully deleted my FSXs (MS & SE) last week.  I didn't make the decision lightly and I'm thankful and humbled by the amount of pleasure I've had from FSX over the last 8 years........  but after finally getting P3D2 running as sweet as a whistle, I knew there waas no turning back.

I miss the NGX a little (not going to re-buy for P3D, sorry don't agree with paying the asked price), I never flew the 777 (nothing wrong with it, just find the real airplane uninspiring) and I also miss my F1 GTN750 (not going to pay for that again either..... YET)..... but those are small points compared to the smile I have on my face when I fly the RealAir T-Duke V2, or the Aerosoft Airbuses, or the CAR Citation II, with higher settings than I had in FSX, better smoothness and higher frames.    ....... and those shadows, and generally far superior colouring and lighting.

Loving every second of flying in P3D2.5 and since updating my nVidia drivers from 347.09 to 347.52 it's super stable too.

:smile:

I am very close to moving to P3d but the whole reinstalling everything when a new version comes out is something I need to understand a little more.

This question is open to anyone -- How do you handle this?

How do you handle this?

v2.5 onwards is going to have an entirely new deployment system and should not require new installs.  

As far as 3rd party, there are some add-ons (not all by any means) that go outside the SDK/PDK ... LM will not be responsible for anyone that goes outside the SDK/PDK.  Those 3rd party that do, will always need to update their product whenever P3D updates unless they (3rd party) can get LM to add whatever it is they do to the SDK/PDK ... but that also means such "new" methods would then be available to everyone (which for some 3rd party may not be desirable as they lose a competitive edge).

Richard, be careful ... how low on disk space are you?  You'll want at least 20-40 GB free on your C: drive (regardless of where you install P3D or add-ons).  P3D Will consume a lot of space in the package cache and some 3rd party products don't check for available disk space when loading which can leave you with a partial install even though you may think you have enough free disk space - they don't error out, they just don't install correctly.  A partial install can lead to all kinds of issues ... and this is not just for Flight Sim apps, but anything like VC++ redist, etc. etc. 

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your tips

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

v2.5 onwards is going to have an entirely new deployment system and should not require new installs.

As far as 3rd party, there are some add-ons (not all by any means) that go outside the SDK/PDK ... LM will not be responsible for anyone that goes outside the SDK/PDK. Those 3rd party that do, will always need to update their product whenever P3D updates unless they (3rd party) can get LM to add whatever it is they do to the SDK/PDK ... but that also means such "new" methods would then be available to everyone (which for some 3rd party may not be desirable as they lose a competitive edge).

Rob..I have not heard about the changes to the installer process..good news there!

Thanks