Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Simpson

Transition to Prepar3d

Hi folks,

FSX running smooth over 2 machines at steady non stuttering 25-29fps connected to vatsim with ASN, EZDOK, PMDG or Aerosoft A319.  ASN, EFB and Acars all working from second machine.

Feel like taking the plunge to Prepar3d however I have a hunch I will be disapointed.

Dont want to upgrade anything at the moment and the only space I have is on the same SSD as FSX.

Should I or Should I Not is the question?

Thoughts.

S

Stephen Simpson

Systems: Flight System: AMDRyzen7 7800X3D, 32GB DDR, RTX4090,Windows 11.

Utilities System: I7 8700K 4.8Ghz,32GB 3000 DDR4 RAM,1x1TB SSD,Geforce GTX1080ti 11GB,Windows 11.

I love P3D, wish I switched over sooner.  The DX11 makes a difference for me with the shadowing, not sure if you are using DX10 on FSX.

I have an I7 4790K with GTX 970 system and I would get mini stutters in Chicago with Aerosoft Chicago and FSDreamteam KORD, I get no stutters in P3D at all, runs so smooth.

Try the one month license or buy it and you are able to get a full refund once if you do not like it.

One downside is for PMDG aircraft you have to rebuy the license for each platform you are using.

Having made the plunge not even 2 weeks ago, I say you should.

I don't have the multi machine setup you have, but from what I've read the config is not much different than you did to set it up in FSX.

As far as visuals, P3d is awesome!   Just look for my posts in the screenshot forum, I've been flying the Aerosoft Airbus with zero issues (And you'll like their P3d conversion price, hehe).    

The SSD footprint may not be as large as you think, as I've been discovering innovative ways to share scenery between FSX:SE and P3d, so all of my Megascenery and other addons are being used in P3d merely by pointing to them in the config process or post install by modifying the scenery.cfg and other files.

You're going to have to get your hands a little dirty getting everything setup..but nothing like you did when you installed FSX, and all the post install tweaks you've done since.

For me, it flew right out of the box (so to speak), and my 1st add on was the Aerosoft Airbus, which was flawless. 

I was on the fence for a long time as well, with FSX:SE running fine for me.  I jumped in because I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about, and believe this is the train to ride when we get to 64bit (although X-Plane is looking more appealing everyday).

Don't get discouraged if its not perfect when you take your fisrt flight...the 1st thing I noticed was how much darker it appeared.  A simple uncheck of the HDR option fixed that for me (still playing with it, but the forums here will have just about every answer you need...far more others have been blazing the trail before us, hehe)

Good luck if you go for it, and keep us posted on the outcome.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I'm a bit more conservative and would say that you should invest in another HDD/SSD with at least 500MB capacity and install P3D separately.

Then use it, maybe install some 3rd party products into it, and gradually move over.

You'll appreciate it a lot more knowing that your FSX is still there to go back to.

Plus, you'll be able to compare them side-by-side and see how much better P3D really is. :lol:

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I'm glad I did.  I stepped away from Flightsim for a few years.  Frustrated with issues in FSX, and not overly excited about using old faithful FS9 I recently jumped into Prepar3d with version 2.5.  I was absolutely floored with it.

The Addon aircraft I use work well, and the orbx scenery is amazing.  Addon airports work well too.  It is nice being able to jump in without having to spend ages tweaking config files, etc. My setup is an i7 running at 3.8, an GTX 660.  Run a separate computer with ASN, ACARS, and a few other addons for ATC and traffic control.  Setup took a while for the network only  VERY excited as to how well and smooth it was right out of the gate.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I'm glad I did.  I stepped away from Flightsim for a few years.  Frustrated with issues in FSX, and not overly excited about using old faithful FS9 I recently jumped into Prepar3d with version 2.5.  I was absolutely floored with it.

The Addon aircraft I use work well, and the orbx scenery is amazing.  Addon airports work well too.  It is nice being able to jump in without having to spend ages tweaking config files, etc. My setup is an i7 running at 3.8, an GTX 660.  Run a separate computer with ASN, ACARS, and a few other addons for ATC and traffic control.  Setup took a while for the network only  VERY excited as to how well and smooth it was right out of the gate.

Nice, I have pretty much the same specs so I'm probably going to ask you some questions if you don't mind. :)

Is there really a big advantage and performance increase in setting up ASN through the network? Any idea which i7 are you using and would you share your P3D settings? :)

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Is there really a big advantage and performance increase in setting up ASN through the network?

One of the devs or beta testers told me once it doesn't make a difference at all but they keep on offering this option because people want it anyway. I was thinking about using a laptop for this but was advised to not bother with it. It seemed the network activity this method needs might even hurt performance more (ever so slightly) than simply running ASN on the sim-PC itself.

One big advantage of running ASN on a laptop over your network is that you have easy access to all of the data available in ASN.

Of course if you have a second screen on your Sim machine you can just as easily drag it there.

But for those without multiple screens a networked laptop is a great help for moving maps, ASN, and of course keeping an eye on Avsim while in cruise.

I'll dig into my specs for you when I get home.  I ran into a never ending network 'sleep' issue with Windows 8.1 that I couldn't get rid of.  So last night I rolled my PC back to Windows 7 and finished doing all the updates.  Tonight it'll be re installing P3D.

As for my P3D settings, I let it use the defaults right out of the box.  I then just adjusted based on what I liked to see such as detail, etc. and then watched my FPS to see how it hits.  With my 660Ti it is running at or near 100% most of the time, so I am pushing it to its limits.  Someday I'll do an upgrade but for now I'm just very happy with the detail and smoothness at 25FPS..  Even in busy areas when it drops down to 15FPS it is still smooth compared to the jitters FSX had.

I run a second PC for flight planning, ASN, and also ProATC-X.  I also sometimes use SuperTrafficBoard on it to see what I'm flying into at my arrival airport.  It's also nice for browsing as mentioned already.  The only PITA is the networking side and simconnect.  They can be a beast to get working properly sometimes.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Done the move over and initial thoughts are good albeit not done a flight yet as ASN P3D will not speak to P3D through the network.

Anyone successfully installed ASN3PD network option and would like to share procedure.

Thanks

S

Stephen Simpson

Utilities System: I7 8700K 4.8Ghz,32GB 3000 DDR4 RAM,1x1TB SSD,Geforce GTX1080ti 11GB,Windows 11.

Done the move over and initial thoughts are good albeit not done a flight yet as ASN P3D will not speak to P3D through the network.

Anyone successfully installed ASN3PD network option and would like to share procedure.

Thanks

S

Make sure you have the simconnect.xml with the correct IP information in \Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

I didn't realize this wasn't there after I first installed P3D then spent days trying to get ASN, Dash 8 Q400 & Airbus series working. They all require simconnect to be setup correctly

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I got in. Was on wrong version of ASN. Schoolboy error.

Stephen Simpson

I network ASN, EFB and vPilot.  A tip for simconnect, I keep a copy of the latest simconnect.xml file in another drive just in case a reinstall is necessary.  AS king as you keep a static Ip address on your P3D machine, it all goes back together pretty easily.  

I meant to type "as long as you keep a static ip....." 

Jeff Callender

Does ASN and vpilot on another machine increase performance that much? I have a second comouter laying around however, it has Windows XP on it, will this work or should I update it?

Vpilot tends to slow me down but i cant tell if it is the program or the planes in the sim it is placing.

Back to the OP questions, i have a i7 4790k and gtx770 and im not that happy with prepar3d. Looks good but i get lots of stutters while my FSX is smooth as butter with everything I throw at it. I also get the same autogen and light popping that prepar3d was supposed to eliminate.

I really don't know about a performance comparison, as I have used them as networked for as long as I can remember.  It is more the data presentation and ease of use eliminating window switching.  I fly with two screens on the main PC-one set to the VC cockpit and one set to a spot view, generally.  I think the autogen and light popping is really dependent upon individual setups and tweaking.  With 2.5, I am getting the feeling that "less is more" when it comes to the tweaking.  

Jeff Callender