Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Installing FSX and FSX:SE Updates

All,

After seeing much of the feedback here on the forum, I would recommend that everyone install via a full uninstall/reinstall. This will ensure that there aren't any bits and pieces left behind from the previous install, which can show in odd ways.

The following is written for both the NGX and the 777 because the procedure is the same. Chose one or the other and follow the procedure for that version. Items in bold are the minimum steps required. Other items can be used to ensure no pieces from the old install are left behind (good in the case you detect there might be an issue, or just in case you want to be absolutely sure). Accomplishing the extra steps, however, will remove hours and settings files.

• Uninstall the 737-600/700 or 777-300ER from the Control Panel
  • Uninstall the 737-800/900 or 777-200LR/F from the Control Panel
  • Delete any references to the NGX or 777 in the [sim]\PMDG folder
  • Delete any references to the NGX or777 in the [sim]\SimObjects folder (where [sim] is your FSX or FSX:SE directory)
  • Delete any references to the NGX or 777 in the %AppData%\Roaming\[Developer]\[sim]\SimObjects folder *
  • Install the 737-800/900 or 777-200LR/F
  • Install the 737-600/700 or 777-300ER

If you believe that your current install is fine. You can safely ignore this message. If you believe that your install might be missing something (weather radar is not working, the P-8 is not in the sim, etc.), then follow this procedure.

*If you open a Windows Explorer window and type %APPDATA%, it will bring you right to the AppData folder. No need to go unhiding folders and so on. From there, you should be able to navigate to the appropriate directory.

Updated: 14MAY15 - Added conditional steps and information about deleting files.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

I understand how to navigate in Windows... just unclear what folder / sub-folders you're referencing for the "%AppData%\[Developer]\[sim]\SimObjects folder". 

Are you talking about the NGX and 777 references in the Ops Center in the Roaming folder? If so, all references including liveries?  I run FSX.

Thanks so much.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I understand how to navigate in Windows... just unclear what folder / sub-folders you're referencing for the "%AppData%\[Developer]\[sim]\SimObjects folder". 

Sorry - my dev stuff isn't on my sim comp so I was doing it all off of memory. I've updated the main post to include the right folder. Regardless, the only folder you're going to find PMDG stuff in is the folder you'd have to take it out of (in other words, you're not going to wind up in a spot where deleting an NGX reference would cause trouble, provided you remember which sim you're trying to delete it from).

Are you talking about the NGX and 777 references in the Ops Center in the Roaming folder? If so, all references including liveries?  I run FSX.

You can safely leave the Ops Center alone. It's its own program that works with all sim platforms. When you're removing the NGX and 777, you're trying to remove it from a specific sim. That's the aim of the above post.

Kyle Rodgers

I've updated the main post

Thanks brother!  Appreciate all you do!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks brother!  Appreciate all you do!

Thanks for checking. Otherwise, I would've just buried myself other tasks.

Enjoy!

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you Kyle

I'll do some tests today and if you have any information about those warnings "Fuel" and "Anti-Ice" please tell me

Thanks

I'll do some tests today and if you have any information about those warnings "Fuel" and "Anti-Ice" please tell me

It's an issue with panel states. Try the uninstall/reinstall procedure, which will kill the old panel states. The reinstall should fix that issue.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok I will reinstall the PMDG.

Btw I did some tests and that issue just happen when running one of defaults panel states

I'll do it now and let you now in minute :)

xbUA6qS.jpg

I reinstalled PMDG as you said in the 1st post.

The panel states are sill there...

I reinstalled PMDG as you said in the 1st post.
The panel states are sill there...

They're named the same thing, but they've been updated.

You also uninstalled and reinstalled the NGX and the airplane's model is still there. Does that mean that you don't now have weather radar...?  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

They're named the same thing, but they've been updated.

You also uninstalled and reinstalled the NGX and the airplane's model is still there. Does that mean that you don't now have weather radar...?  :wink:

Well I don't know whether or not I have radar since I haven't got ASN yet....

I'm wondering in getting the SP2 Beta but not sure if it works with weather radar!!?

Well I don't know whether or not I have radar since I haven't got ASN yet....

I'm wondering in getting the SP2 Beta but not sure if it works with weather radar!!?

My point was to say "just because it looks the same doesn't mean something hasn't changed."

Kyle Rodgers

My point was to say "just because it looks the same doesn't mean something hasn't changed."

Ohh ok right (I'm not an english native-speaker)

Btw I used the installer I used yesterday to reinstall it (I bought it yesterday)...would that be a problem?

Ohh ok right (I'm not an english native-speaker)

Btw I used the installer I used yesterday to reinstall it (I bought it yesterday)...would that be a problem?

FSX:SE?

Kyle Rodgers