Sign in to follow this  
jpc55

SS of Pending Aerocaches

Seems to be getting quiet around here again, so I thought I would post these SS of pending aerocaches.

IeLfcHZ.jpg
FI8I2Q0.jpg
7TQPmku.jpg
A5mgbrf.jpg
rdu7lLs.jpg
pLelSjW.jpg
m5PHsiO.jpg
w0dZIqe.jpg

and I wish a good day to all! B)

As always - Nice screens and thanks for breaking the silence!  B)

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Hi all.

Steve's been on vacation ( I know... how dare he!). But there have been some other developments.

Patrick Germain has made a CVX file decompiler. You can extract a CVX file from FSX or from Flight, and decompile it to various formats... among them is ESRI, which are shape files that can be added to SBuilderX, and recompiled ( and then converted to Flight format with Steve's ContentConverter ).  CVXExtractor

Patrick has also been working on a replacement for FSX Shp2Vec, and it allows direct compilation of Flight shape files to CVX vector BGLs. There are a few things to work out with Flight, but the compiler works fine.

Between these 2 tools, we can create new Flight specific vector files. And mesh can be directly added from FSX's resample. So basic terrain content can now be added to Flight, and displayed on top of the FSXWorld, or Hawaii or Alaska.

Flight's Maui, in SBuilderX:

Maui.jpg

Dick

Oh, that's interesting. Being fairly new to the Flightsim world, I didn't know about these converter tools using shapefiles. I've been working with ESRI's shapefiles and coverages since the 1990s, first at Uni with their original GIS (Geographic Information System) ArcInfo/Arcview, now in my job with ArcgGIS and QGIS.

In fact when the display of various types landscapes/ vegetation using the converted FSX data was discussed a few weeks ago in another thread, I was thinking of the theoretical potential of data sources like CORINE, a European land cover classification based on analysis of satellite data. Here a link to their interactive map:

http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/explore-interactive-maps/corine-landcover-2006

All the data layers shown in the map are also available for download as shapefiles from the eea website, and as far as I know, use of the data is allowed as long as the source is acknowledged (though I would need to study the smallprint to be certain).

There is even a more detailed dataset available for major urban areas via the new Urban Atlas (zoom in to see the details):

http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/explore-interactive-maps/urban-atlas-for-europe

Andreas

Hey Dick,

I've been reading up on that myself and found some vectors from FSX to convert. I extracted the data using CVXExtractor and imported them into SBuilderX. Now when I compile the bgl only some of the vectors are missing.

I'm only getting these vectors converted:

• Airport Bounds
  • Hydro Polys
  • Parks
  • Roads

...and I'm missing everything else.

QMID has been set to 11 and -ADDTOCELLS is false.

And ideas as to what is going wrong?

@mibmab: Thanks for that info! I looked at the maps and they are STUNNING! A really good tool for photoscenery as well!

Perhaps a new thread is a good idea, as this one was intended to break the silence of the forum. :rolleyes:

As far as missing vectors, a new thread would be best.  I'll bet it takes a few posts to sort it out.

Dick

@mibmab: Thanks for that info! I looked at the maps and they are STUNNING! A really good tool for photoscenery as well!

Yes, the maps are great. I've mainly used the data in my job for analysing urbanisation patterns in Europe. A google search seems to suggest that the CORINE data is already being used for some flight sim scenery production. For example Flight Gear uses it in the European part of its World Scenery:

http://www.flightgear.org/tours/world-scenery-2-0/ Other links suggest that some of the orbx products may be partly based on this data.

Maybe it's possible to create a more detailed scenery for Flight with the conversion tools using this source?

Andreas

I presume you will do that....  :lol:

My suggestion is that you do that... It's your question. Might be better to do this at fsdeveloper, as the forum is easier to post pics and is development oriented.

Dick

My suggestion is that you do that... It's your question. Might be better to do this at fsdeveloper, as the forum is easier to post pics and is development oriented.

Dick

Alright, I'll do that now...