Sign in to follow this  
Copper.

Windshear Escape Maneuver - NGX Practice

Anyone here been practicing Windshear Escape (QRH MAN 1.11) in the NGX using ASN?

How well did it go? Any tips? How do you set ASN or P3D to give Windshear on approach?

Advice is sought, and would be great fully received.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

I just started using ASN recently to take advantage of the radar. So not sure at this point how

to set up wind shear. Or if it can be done manually and saved..?? There may be some way.

I got a predictive wind shear alert on the ND the other day when taking off out of KAUS..

I didn't realize that had been added to the NGX. "Looks like solid amber arrows pointing the

direction, and shows "wind shear" on the ND.. When I first saw it, I thought I was having a

bug of some sorts, and my sim was getting flaky..  lol.. But then I quickly realized it was normal

when I saw the wind shear warning. And the weather wasn't stormy or anything.. So was kind

of strange to get, and I didn't really notice the IAS bobbling around too much, so was a non event.

I assume if it had been an active alert, the warnings would have been red instead of amber,

and possibly an audio warning. There was no audio warning with the predictive alert.

Just two yellow "beams" so to speak, pointing off in two directions ahead of me.

Didn't last long, so didn't get to much time to check it out.

I guess one way to increase the odds would be to set up heavy thunderstorms, and add wind,

and strong gusts and turbulence.

Or if it can be done manually and saved..??

I know it can be saved. I had ASN get frozen on a date/time for about a week or so when testing the 777. My test flights for whatever we happened to be testing tended to be IAD to BWI, and each time, I'd get windshear in the same spot (which is what prompted me to check my ASN settings, finding the stuck date/time).

And the weather wasn't stormy or anything.

Wind shear is wind. It occurs anywhere wind can occur. Granted, storms can generate a lot of wind to cause these, but again: anywhere there's strong wind.

Kyle Rodgers

I know it can be saved. I had ASN get frozen on a date/time for about a week or so when testing the 777. My test flights for whatever we happened to be testing tended to be IAD to BWI, and each time, I'd get windshear in the same spot (which is what prompted me to check my ASN settings, finding the stuck date/time).

I had saved that weather in ASN, but when I later reloaded it and did  another takeoff, I didn't get the warning the second time. But maybe that was because there wasn't an actual wind shear event..

Wind shear is wind. It occurs anywhere wind can occur. Granted, storms can generate a lot of wind to cause these, but again: anywhere there's strong wind.

Sure, but the strange thing is it really wasn't windy at all. Not sure what triggered the alert. And I didn't

see anything out of the ordinary when I took off.. IE: IAS was pretty stable, etc..

I guess a disturbance in the weather force..  lol..

Hi,

easiest way to open ASN debug window and then create a test micro-burst. Read ASN documentation for more info.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Thanks Kyle, Mark and Kostas. I'll try and create a test microburst as you recommend, and report back here if successful so other users might get value from it.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

Thanks Kyle, Mark and Kostas. I'll try and create a test microburst as you recommend, and report back here if successful so other users might get value from it.

You might find this to be helpful:

Watched it last night and found it to be a great presentation. Old, but definitely worth a watch.

Kyle Rodgers

WOW!!! Mind = blown. How far HiFi and PMDG/Boeing have come!!!

I tested it at altitude first, just to see what I was going to get... then I tried it on approach :)

Needless to say... but I crashed as result of pushing into the microbursts at low level (tried multiple times). Obviously I ignored all the alerts to get into that boat, but I was trying it out. First the upshoot (my thoughts were - is that all!?)... then came the mighty downshoot in the gut of the microburst (my thoughts at this point - oh crap!!!).

I will review that video Kyle, thanks for the referral. It looks intriguing. Any man who has a plane on a stick, surely commands the attention of the industry ;) 

To all who would like to insert microbursts/windshear:

In ASN, go to the "Tools" drop down tab at the top of the window, then click "View Debug Window". It will schedule the burst or shear, 3nm ahead. Or, you could simply follow the ASN guide, as Kostas recommended.

Be ready, be warned!

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

To all who would like to insert microbursts/windshear:
In ASN, go to the "Tools" drop down tab at the top of the window, then click "View Debug Window". It will schedule the burst or shear, 3nm ahead. Or, you could simply follow the ASN guide, as Kostas recommended.

I tried it in a holding pattern :) great thread brian !

Vernon Howells

Very confronting video. Especially the CVR playback. Rest their souls.

Thanks Kyle.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

PWS active below 2300ft RA only. PWS alerts below 1200ft RA only.

I set a fix ring at 6nm from rwy thr to tell me when to click the button in ASN. This will give me the burst/shear at approx less than 3nm/1200ft HAT to the threshold.

Barely enough time to climb-out, no budget for error.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

PWS active below 2300ft RA only. PWS alerts below 1200ft RA only.

I set a fix ring at 6nm from rwy thr to tell me when to click the button in ASN. This will give me the burst/shear at approx less than 3nm/1200ft HAT to the threshold.

Barely enough time to climb-out, no budget for error.

Brian Nellis

Well, i'm practicing Go-arounds at the moment from the FCOM and FCTM i may include this on my next run ;)

Vernon Howells

I did one last night going into KHOU.. Set the microburst at 4.8 miles DME, which put the

mayhem about 1.5 miles from the runway.. Was doing OK for a while... Until the tailwind

kicked in and my IAS to dumped down to about 80 sumtin.. Ouch.. Burned my biscuits..  :mad:

Couldn't keep it afloat. I'll have to practice that. The burst is so severe I don't know if it's

flyable without some really early aggressive steps before you get to the tailwind.  

I'm not getting any audio wind shear warning.. Only visual on the ND.

Is that normal with the NGX? I was sort of expecting an audio wind shear warning with a

red letter ND warning..