This addon inserts two new weather themes in Microsoft Flight:

Light Snow

It has been snowing all day, but flying should be safe as long as you stay out of the clouds.

LightSnow_zpsnsfo8dt5.jpg

Heavy Snow

A heavy snowstorm makes flying at low altitudes a real challenge. Don't forget to set your altimeter to 28.99 inHg.

HeavySnow_zpsr4nomxf9.jpg

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/md6bmb37nhlhgc4/Snow_weather_themes.zip

How to Install:

Install the file Snow_weather_themes.flightAddon with the latest version of the Flight Toolkit by stonelance.

It works for me.

I also had to try it in July, in Wisconsin. Snow in the air and on the ground. Runways snowy. Works great! This is what I would expect in a freak snowstorm. This means October or May snows, which can happen, can be simulated. Thanks!

Dick

Can't take off.. Aircraft grounded!  :lol:

Awesome addon! No problems at all! Great Work!

works like a charm ^_^  brilliant stuff. Thanks very much!

Great thanks - I will take weather themes any day as there is not a lot out there which is weird actually

Rich Sennett

Superb addon - and Heavy Snow is great for a challenging ILS landing.

:p0502:

Thanks for the comments! I have seen that there are some references to real world weather and weather stations in the SimProp files. Does anybody know whether it's possible to assign weather cells to certain weather stations?

Hmm, weren't there already snow themes?  I remember the environment artists created some, but maybe we never shipped them.  I remember there being some question as to how they would look in Hawaii...

If you can host the file somewhere where it has the .flightAddon extension I could link it so it shows up in the Addon Manager as available for download through the tool.  I can also throw it up on flighttoolkit.com if you want but then you won't be able to update it yourself if you want :)

I remember there being some question as to how they would look in Hawaii...

I tried creating a snow addon about a year ago but I remember it didn't for some unknown reason...got green clouds over Hawaii at night - possibly to do with the lighting. 

Hmm, weren't there already snow themes?  I remember the environment artists created some, but maybe we never shipped them.  I remember there being some question as to how they would look in Hawaii...

If you can host the file somewhere where it has the .flightAddon extension I could link it so it shows up in the Addon Manager as available for download through the tool.  I can also throw it up on flighttoolkit.com if you want but then you won't be able to update it yourself if you want :)

When using my snow weather themes in Hawaii, the trees there appear to be snow-covered. It looks rather odd, so I'd imagine this is the reason why there weren't any snow weather themes in the Alaskan Wilderness Pack.

Feel free to mirror the addon on flighttoolkit.com, I don't plan on making any changes to it. I'm interested in making a more diverse Fair Weather theme, or even parsing METAR strings to make a real world weather theme, but the latter approach is obviously limited if it's impossible to assign weather cells to weather stations.

I'm interested in making a more diverse Fair Weather theme, or even parsing METAR strings to make a real world weather theme, but the latter approach is obviously limited if it's impossible to assign weather cells to weather stations.

I actually created a utility to do the latter, but I was never satisfied with the depiction. The maximum reported visibility of a METAR is 10sm and when setting the visibility of the HazeLayer to that the weather often becomes misty. Also I tried using some of Steve's libraries to do live content reloading, but I must not be doing things properly, as the file never seems to get unlocked, making reloading themes problematic.

I actually created a utility to do the latter, but I was never satisfied with the depiction. The maximum reported visibility of a METAR is 10sm and when setting the visibility of the HazeLayer to that the weather often becomes misty.

I guess this could be improved by using random values from 10 miles to 100 miles visibility when >10 miles visibility are reported.