Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Ultimate Terrain vs. ORBX products

I bought UT2, but if I'm flying around in OrbX PNW and also using the great airports in that area, is there any benefit to using UT2?

If you are only in Orbx PNW and that's it, then no.  UTX is not really benefiting you at all as Orbx regions include all their own vector/land class data and should be above UTX entries.  Once you leave the Orbx region though, then UTX takes over.

I have almost all the Orbx NA regions but still have UTX for when I leave the area.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Ok. Cool. Thank you for clarifying.

What about Orbx Global (non vector) texture?

Does that do anything inside Orbx PNW?

Thx

Ok. Cool. Thank you for clarifying.

What about Orbx Global (non vector) texture?

Does that do anything inside Orbx PNW?

Thx

I don't believe Global will do anything for you inside any of their regions as again, the regions are self contained and contain all the textures, vector, mesh and land class data for that region along with upgraded airports for nearly all airports inside the region as well.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I just installed UT 2.1  yesterday for the USA, and it was as easy to install in P3D as it could be. Flew around for just a bit since it was late, but it looks very good and my frame rates haven't changed at all. Great purchase especially with the price at $30 for the entire US. 

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxusa

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I was thinking of making the switch from FTX Vector/OpenLC to UTX, but I use Vector for airport elevation. Is it possible to install Vector, uncheck the items in the scenery library so it wont take up any resources in P3D and still use the airport elevation function?

Cheers!

Maarten

What are you folks using for a Mesh for UTX v2.x series?

FreeMeshX Global provides global coverage, the majority at LOD10 (38m). It's freeware and support FSX, FSX:SE and P3D.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467933-freemesh-x-global-10-release-announcement/

Don't really see the point in buying mesh now unless you mainly fly in a particular area which has higher resolution mesh available (e.g. Horizon VFR X mesh is better than 10 metres).

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I'm about to buy some ORBX stuff before the sale ends, and I pretty much know what I want but have some doubts:

1) Regions - I know I want to get as many of these as possible, as they are superb

2) Global - This also a must, since it will replace all textures worldwide and is pretty much a no brainer

3) EU LC / Vector.... this not so clear. From reading a bit seems the latest UTX products are better, SO Iguess UTX USA and EU will cover what Vector and LC do (besides the fact there's STILL no LC for the US).  As the US is big, even with all the existing regions there's still a lot of area to cover with UTX that's not covered by the regions. Same for Europe, a lot of places that Regions do not cover (France, Germany, Italy, etc).  So I think LC Europe is pretty much a no-brainer to NOT buy if I will get UTX EU.  The one I have doubts with is vector...

I'm from south America, and there's no ORBX or UTX product for that... The only thing would be vector, but as I read of performance hits, also remembering I will need to disable when flying in US / Europe as I would have other products, just wondering if having Vector for South America is worth it or not, or just use some regional scenery that I can get my hands on.

Guess option woul be:

- Purchase option 1:  Regions + FTX GLobal

- Purchase option 2:  Regions + FTX Global + FTX GLobal Vector

Thoughts..?

My $.02 - and it's probably a minority $.02 - I'd been using FTX Global plus Vector, switched over to UTX USA 2.1 when it came out, and then switched back to Vector.  I had severe stuttering with UTX that I wasn't able to cure.  It resolved when I uninstalled UTX.  I could probably have tuned UTX if I'd been willing to take the time and put in the effort, but I also liked the look of Vector better than UTX, which seemed a little old-school and FS9-ish, even with NickN's recommended adjustments.  I'm less worried about VAS impact than others because I don't tend to do long flights (not more than an hour or so, maybe two at the outside) and I mostly don't use aircraft that are big VAS consumers.  Not trying to influence any purchases - UTX is a great product and I used it happily for years in my FSX setup.  It's just that votes seemed to be running in favor of UTX and I thought I'd report my experience since it was a bit different.  Use or discard as needed.  

Hmmm ... I thought the issue was FTX Central ... any time I change a region in FTX Central the UTX Lights will get wiped out?  

I think Rod suggested removing ALL the FTX entries in the Terrain.cfg ... but as I understand it FTX Central will just re-write them again if I change a region.

It looks like one has to pick the road of Orbx or the road of UTX ... but NOT the road of Orbx and UTX ... which is a shame as I have so many Orbx airports that I'm not willing to give up for UTX.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, did you ever get a solution to this?  I've been edging toward getting UTX 2.x for VAS and some visual improvement to the US (I hope) but, if the lights keep going out, then I'd be put off.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yes, can find it here: 

Ok.  So, in your opinion, which looks nicer?  Vector or UTX?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Ok.  So, in your opinion, which looks nicer?  Vector or UTX?

I was a FTX Global/Vector user for a while in FSX.  When I switched to P3D, I switched back to using UTX which IMO is much better in appearance and VAS usage.  I got constant stutters with Vector for some reason.  I mainly fly in the US and when I venture out it is to Europe so UTX fit the bill.  Also, the night lighting is superb with UTX.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Reading this thread, I also would like to test utx. However, I first need to de install vector and openlc somehow.,any tips on that?

Victor Roos

Reading this thread, I also would like to test utx. However, I first need to de install vector and openlc somehow.,any tips on that?

I believe that all that needs to be done is for the vector and openlc entries in scenery.cfg to be set to not active. You could test then and revert easily. I don't know of anyway to uninstall Vector other than taking the entries out of the scenery.cfg and then manually removing the directories. If you look in ORBX/scripts directory there may be an uninstall as well...I don't have a PC with FSX on me at the moment.