Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[13MAR15] Aerosoft DVD and Download customers and FSX-SE Compatibility

Captains,

A short update for those folks who are DVD based customers, or who purchased downloadable products from our partners at Aerosoft and who are interested in FSX-SE compatibility and obtaining the recently released updates to the PMDG 737NGX and PMDG 777 product lines:

Overview of How it Will Work:

During the coming week(s) we will be releasing updated executable installers to Aerosoft for the update program for Aerosoft customers.  The program being put together will allow download customers to pull the new installers from their Aerosoft accounts just as PMDG's direct download customers do from their own existing orders.

DVD customers will have an upgrade avenue that will, through a designated process at Aerosoft support, allow desiring customers to download those new installers after accomplishing a verification check.  (Aerosoft will detail what information is required to accomplish the verification check.)  Additionally, for DVD customers who would prefer to simply replace their DVD with an updated version- Aerosoft will provide you with an avenue to accomplish this as well.

When do we give the new builds to Aerosoft?:

This part is a bit tricky.  We have to make absolutely certain that we have not introduced any unexpected problems with the new versions before we give them to Aerosoft for further distribution.  This is important because once something goes to hard production, there are pretty significant costs associated with "oh... we made a mistake and need to fix this."

We thought we would send Aerosoft the 777 last week- but a group of customers were able to identify a memory leak in the 777 that feel it is imperative to resolve before the 777 goes out to Aerosoft.  With the help of these customers we were finally able to duplicate and identify the problem function and we are engineering a fix right now, in real time.  Once that fix is given a cursory check by our beta team (who was also able to duplicate the problem) we will push that update out to customers and make certain the fix doesn't have any unintended consequences- THEN we will also push it to Aerosoft....

Right now we are hoping this will all take place within a span of 2 weeks- but it could take longer.

The 737NGX on the other hand is not impacted by this item so we anticipate pushing the NGX installers to Aerosoft on Monday.

How long until Aerosoft goes live?:

There is a bit of work to be done on Aerosoft's side because we are putting some restrictions on their requirements to verify ownership, etc etc.  They are already at work in preparation for the process and they are as eager as you are to get these things bundled up and out to you...  So PLEASE don't go pestering their support team and their forum moderators!  Right now those folks are in holding waiting on PMDG- and we are being ultra-careful to make sure we don't have any hiccups, missteps or knee-knockers.

If we pester PMDG support enough, they'll help us, right?:

No.

(Really... and we aren't gonna "just help you" because you are about to leave on a submarine that is transporting you to your grandmother's ranch in Uganda where there is no internet and you couldn't possibly tell anyone if we did help you so please will we just break the rules on your behalf this once....)  No.  It isn't that we don't like you, and it isn't that we don't care... it just isn't efficient and there are already methods in place for us to help you- we just need to get them moving!  B)

I know this has frustrated some folks, but this is an absolutely unprecedented set of circumstances that was created in it's entirely by very poor design decisions related to the installation process for FSX-SE.  Unfortunately that set off a chain reaction of issues and we have to make certain that we are confident in the versions we give to Aerosoft...  This takes time- and while we appreciate it is frustrating to wait- I promise you that it is better to let us get this right the first time, than to have us get half way down the track only to realize we messed you all up...

What else?

I know someone will ask about the earlier legacy PMDG products:  We are only just starting to evaluate those for conversion to FSX-SE...  I have no information on them at this time.

The PMDG BAe JS4100 starts testing this week....  

The DC-6..  Oh wait, that update goes in the other thread.  :ph34r:

Thanks for your patience everyone- we appreciate it.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

First! Cheers Robert for that info.

As I bought my DVD from Amazon, do I use the Aerosoft option when avaiblable, or could I contact someone at pmdg support with a screenshot of my amazon orders page, and the licence key on the sticker inside the box?

Also, will you link us to where to go on the Aerosoft site from the pmdg forums?

As I bought my DVD from Amazon, do I use the Aerosoft option when avaiblable, or could I contact someone at pmdg support with a screenshot of my amazon orders page, and the licence key on the sticker inside the box?

Also, will you link us to where to go on the Aerosoft site from the pmdg forums?

You will get your updates through Aerosoft as they are the distributor. When the system starts, there will be an announcement on the PMDG with links etc.

I believe this part applies to you:

through a designated process at Aerosoft support, allow desiring customers to download those new installers after accomplishing a verification check.  (Aerosoft will detail what information is required to accomplish the verification check.)

If I understand correctly, you will have to provide proof of purchase to Aerosoft who will then give you access to the updates.

Thanks for the update.

I too suspect that I might have bought my official DVD copy from Amazon.  I have the registration key of course as well as the disks and it's important that Aerosoft don't define the proof of ownership tests in such away that they apply preferentially to disks supplied directly by them.  I'm sure you are aware of this but thought I'd mention it. 

ngxu_banner.png

Robert, will the 777 update that goes to Aerosoft contain further fixes with respect to SP1d, that will be made available also to PMDG 'normal' (not Aerosoft) users?

Thanks.

James Goggi

Robert, will the 777 update that goes to Aerosoft contain further fixes with respect to SP1d, that will be made available also to PMDG 'normal' (not Aerosoft) users?

Thanks.

The answer is in post #1 paragraph 5. Did you read what RSR wrote?

...but a group of customers were able to identify a memory leak in the 777 that feel it is imperative to resolve before the 777 goes out to Aerosoft.  With the help of these customers we were finally able to duplicate and identify the problem function and we are engineering a fix right now, in real time.  Once that fix is given a cursory check by our beta team (who was also able to duplicate the problem) we will push that update out to customers and make certain the fix doesn't have any unintended consequences- THEN we will also push it to Aerosoft....

This is excellent news. (Not to mention, I can look forward to buying the FSX -300 again!)

To satisfy my engineering curiosity, and try to justify the countless weekends and nights I spent pulling my hair out on this :) , is there a chance you could share a little more detail what the root cause/problem function is?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Come Monday! I'm flying the 736 around the world with Aerosoft and I can't wait to get it equiped with the weather radar (Greenland is a nasty place for weather)

The answer is in post #1 paragraph 5. Did you read what RSR wrote?

I read it, but it only says that it's a fix to a memory leak. What I asked is different, I asked if there will be further fixes in that release.

James Goggi

I have already registered to the Aerosoft support database ("FAQs/Updates") with my box serial key, so I can access SP1c for the NGX - wondering what additional hoops anyone will want me to jump through for SP1d?!?

Whatever the hoops will be, I'm sure they will be fun!!   :P

How long until Aerosoft goes live?:

There is a bit of work to be done on Aerosoft's side because we are putting some restrictions on their requirements to verify ownership, etc etc.  They are already at work in preparation for the process and they are as eager as you are to get these things bundled up and out to you...  So PLEASE don't go pestering their support team and their forum moderators!  Right now those folks are in holding waiting on PMDG- and we are being ultra-careful to make sure we don't have any hiccups, missteps or knee-knockers.

I have already registered to the Aerosoft support database ("FAQs/Updates") with my box serial key, so I can access SP1c for the NGX - wondering what additional hoops anyone wants me to jump through for SP1d?!?

Whatever the hoops are, I'm sure they will be fun!!  

So can I go and get it yet? (and if so how...) or do I have to wait?

Not yet, as Robert said it should be within a couple of weeks.

further fixes

Your right. I missed the word further. Sorry.