Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

Just read a review of this new Nvidia monster card and the overall performance sure seems to be amazing!!

Being used to FSX I know upgrading your GFX card wouldn't do that much of a difference. Sure it gave you some extra performance if coupled with a good overclocked CPU and especially if running FSX in DX10 mode but again...the increased performance wasn't that impressive.

How does P3D utilize hardware and GFX cards in particular compared to FSX? Would P3D be able to use the full potential of this kind of new monster card? I know I read somewhere that P3D running DX11 does make much better use of a powerful graphics card.

This card of course will be everything but cheap but if a card like this one would be able to increase your overall P3D performance in a way where the increased performance would match the hefty price tag it might be worth it.

Richard Åsberg

I'll let you know, I'm ordering one tomorrow ... but I'll need to be on my A game to get one (batched HTTP requests ramped up and ready to run ... the battle of bandwidth on who get the order in first).

My primary goal for getting the card is the HDMI 2.0 support so I can run my Sony 4K at 60Hz if I can get my graphics desires/setting to lock at 60 fps (Q400, RA TDuke, A2A, Carenado being my target aircraft).  Not sure why it has 12GB usable VRAM ... maybe getting ready for 8K monitor support later this year (would be nice to do away with AA completely)?

Cheers, Rob.

The ROI seems really low on these, but bleeding edge tech always is.

Congrats, Rob.....looking forward to your opinion/view on the card.

Wow. Some people seem to have no budget constraints. But looking forward to the results. My impression is that poor fpsin P3D are mostly a consequence of the CPU getting maxed out. GPU power is really not an issue in P3D expect if you run insane AA settings. Let's see...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

My money's on you ROB :-) ...for getting one!  We could use a 1st hand review as oppose to those pretend game benchmarks!

I'll let you know, I'm ordering one tomorrow ... but I'll need to be on my A game to get one (batched HTTP requests ramped up and ready to run ... the battle of bandwidth on who get the order in first).

My primary goal for getting the card is the HDMI 2.0 support so I can run my Sony 4K at 60Hz if I can get my graphics desires/setting to lock at 60 fps (Q400, RA TDuke, A2A, Carenado being my target aircraft).  Not sure why it has 12GB usable VRAM ... maybe getting ready for 8K monitor support later this year (would be nice to do away with AA completely)?

Cheers, Rob.

That's cool Rob, really looking forward to hear about the result!

What is your current graphics card?

Wow. Some people seem to have no budget constraints. But looking forward to the results. My impression is that poor fpsin P3D are mostly a consequence of the CPU getting maxed out. GPU power is really not an issue in P3D expect if you run insane AA settings. Let's see...

OK, if that's the case also in P3D that the CPU still is the bottleneck and that the GPU seldom has to sweat then I guess it probably won't be worth the money.

I was hoping P3D was improved in that regard over FSX.

Richard Åsberg

1,000 dollars is not to bad compared to the 1,200 I paid for my titan - I will wait on an evga at newegg - luv my evga cards - rock solid returns if something is wrong with it - had to use it only once but no questions asked a new one was sent right out 

Rich Sennett

To the OP,

Definitely not!

Yeah, I was afraid of that and then maybe you Rob should think twice about ordering one as well. However you also said you want HDMI 2 so maybe it will be worth it in your case but still...it's a lot of money...

Richard Åsberg

I'm no expert but it seems like, unless your pushing a ton of pixels (either with high resolutions or multiple monitors... or a combination of the two), that all of the extra memory and memory bandwidth won't do you much. Since I know that Rob uses multiple monitors at high resolutions (e.g. 4k), then of course these would be helpful.

I'm using a 780Ti Superclock (that I've, er, overclocked even more) and couldn't be happier. The footnote is, of course, I'm only using one 23" monitor...

All on you Rob, I have my eyes on a Titan X, if your Titan Blacks don't come through for me!  :P 

Seriously though, can't wait for a performance report on this card. My 3770K + 780 combination has the early adopter in me yearning for an upgrade.  :wub:

Aamir Thacker

Hope for good review on this new card. If the performance increase count me in to get this card right away.  Prepar3d is my new home, so having new upgrade will totally be worth it.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Clouds, volumetric fog, the particle system, and AA will load up the GPU ... easy test here is to turn AA off fly thru a dense cloud from under it (only cloud and sky in the frame no land or other objects) record time frames with FRAPS, turn AA to 8XMSAA and do the same scenario and measure time frames -- I see about a 30-40% drop (with dense clouds) ... these aren't CPU intensive they're primarily GPU - the higher the resolution used the more drastic the drop.

Same type of test can be done with Jet wash from the PrecipitFX package ... sit directly behind the 777 and hit the throttles and watch FPS go from 30 to 8 if you run 8XMSAA (again at high resolutions).

This is where I'm "hoping" the Titan X will show improvement.

Cheers, Rob.

Clouds, volumetric fog, the particle system, and AA will load up the GPU ... easy test here is to turn AA off fly thru a dense cloud from under it (only cloud and sky in the frame no land or other objects) record time frames with FRAPS, turn AA to 8XMSAA and do the same scenario and measure time frames -- I see about a 30-40% drop (with dense clouds) ... these aren't CPU intensive they're primarily GPU - the higher the resolution used the more drastic the drop.

Same type of test can be done with Jet wash from the PrecipitFX package ... sit directly behind the 777 and hit the throttles and watch FPS go from 30 to 8 if you run 8XMSAA (again at high resolutions).

This is where I'm "hoping" the Titan X will show improvement.

Cheers, Rob.

I see Rob, so your expectation for this card is having the ability to run higher resolution without being affected by low FPS? I'm new to prepar3d, what would the extra VRAM help with prepar3d?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Just saw couple reviews. Too bad that P3D still doesn't support SLI, otherwise 980x2 SLI beats Titan X by quite a wide margin.

Of course, Titan X has 12GB memory, so it should be able to run 4K resolution with 4xDSR. My 980 can only handle around 2xDSR at 4K. Rob is absolutely right, with high AA + high resolution settings the FPS can be easily bottlenecked by GPU. This is where top-end cards (money!) can finally make a difference.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11