Sign in to follow this  
Eskil

STEAM missions with FSX Acceleration?

Does anyone out there know if missions (so far extremely few; all payware) created for FSX STEAM will work with the "old" FSX (Acceleration version)? I know that STEAM got rid of a lot of bugs and made the programme faster, but are the missions still written as .XML or .SPB files, and do they contain new commands that the old FSX doesn't understand?

Cheers,

eskil

Solved! The missions produced for FSX-STEAM are indeed identical to the ones in the original FSX. The crux is of course that to download the missions packs so far available from STEAM (Dangerous Approaches and Cargo Crew - payware), you must first purchase and install the FSX-STEAM itself. After that, if you wish, you can copy the mission folders, the rewards, and the new categories used for them (or change the GUIDs in the .xml files to that of one of the original categories).

So far I haven't seen any third party missions marketed specifically for STEAM, but any missions for FSX will work with it.

Almost all of those mission packs are just re-releases of boxed version. I think I may have seen somewhere that there is, or are coming, new mission packs which you would need SE for I would guess. I think Dangerous Approaches is new, so an exclusive to SE, however you can find mission packs around for FSX

Almost all of those mission packs are just re-releases of boxed version. I think I may have seen somewhere that there is, or are coming, new mission packs which you would need SE for I would guess. I think Dangerous Approaches is new, so an exclusive to SE, however you can find mission packs around for FSX

Hey Chris,

Dangerous is indeed a whole new mission pack as is Cargo Crew. Both are newly created from scratch by myself and my team for Steam distribution. I will also point out, that sales of both packs support little Rosie Davies, an 8 year old who has had both legs amputated, is paralysed below the waist and has also had her stomach, bowel and a kidney removed. For instance, sales of Dangerous Approaches this week paid for her a special medical bed and she has also had hydrotherapy treatments and other medical support from my royalties for Dangerous Approaches and Cargo Crew. EVERY sale of either title supports Rosie!

Incidentally, if you don't have FSX:SE you can get Cargo Crew and FSX:SE in a bundle together, which is heavily discounted or a triple pack of Cargo, Dangerous Approaches or FSX:SE, which is also discounted heavily.

Jane

- Jane Whittaker

And Jane her self comes in! I was in the middle of editing my post to state about the charity cause of it, alas you beat me to it. I heard about it from one of Froogle's videos, sounds like a great cause.

Does anyone out there know if missions (so far extremely few; all payware) created for FSX STEAM will work with the "old" FSX (Acceleration version)?

While looking for some scenery, I did find some missions. Never used them so can't vouch for them, but I do use the FSWC and enhanced sun textures from the same place and they are good. Might want to give them a try

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/downloads.shtml