Sign in to follow this  

P3D v2.5 in 4K on a Titan X

Heya Rob, 

You always do great videos - thanks!

I notice saw-tooth shadows on your starboard engine nacelle at the 2:40 mark - I see these *everywhere* in my sim (still at 2.4). I wonder why your interior shadows are so crisp and you still get the saw tooth externally.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I notice saw-tooth shadows on your starboard engine nacelle at the 2:40 mark - I see these *everywhere* in my sim (still at 2.4). I wonder why your interior shadows are so crisp and you still get the saw tooth externally.

This will probably answer your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mapping

One of the key disadvantages of real time shadow mapping is that the size and depth of the shadow map determines the quality of the final shadows. This is usually visible as aliasing or shadow continuity glitches. A simple way to overcome this limitation is to increase the shadow map size, but due to memory, computational or hardware constraints, it is not always possible.

If you increase the shadow map size you can reduce the shadow aliasing ,,, the down side is that at times (dawn/dusk) where long shadows will be computed, it can really load the hardware and significant performance drops.

Prepar3d.cfg

GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048 

If you set this to 4096 you should see a reduction in shadow aliasing, but at a cost of FPS during dusk/dawn or anytime long shadows are calculated.

Cheers, Rob.

Anybody know the difficulty of separating the VC shadows from the ground shadows programing wise for LM?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I quick test flight or two ... I turned VSync OFF towards end of video to get an idea of frame rates and tested with the A36 and F22. Primary focus was to see how well the Titan X did at 4K while recording at 4K and using 8X MSAA while flying thru clouds.

Settings used: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_Titan_X_4K_Set.html

Add-Ons:

FSUIPC

RealAir Turbine Duke

Orbx NCA

Orbx KSQL

Orbx KPSP

Orbx Vector

ASN for weather

REX Soft Clouds

FSGlobal Mesh

GoFlight

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, Avsim deleted my YouTube link in this morning's post, and apparently YOUR YOUTUBE LINK in the above quote.

Can you tell us why?

Thanks for all your hard work,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Rob, Avsim deleted my YouTube link in this morning's post, and apparently YOUR YOUTUBE LINK in the above quote.

Can you tell us why?

You lost me, they did?

Do you mean the quotes?  I don't think videos are included in quotes.

Cheers, Rob.

The quotes may not include the YouTube link, so I may be off there, but Avsim, by person or design or both certainly deleted my link to YouTube from this morning's post http://forum.avsim.net/topic/465270-testing-pmdg-737ngx-prepar3d-v25-edition-and-fsi-panel/#entry3205442 & more than several previous posts as well.

Is there some anti-imprimatur on posting YouTube links? Your latest link is still there.

Regards,

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Gawd...there is still stuttering!

I was hoping for so much....I dunno...I  watched the video, and didn't see too much more, over my humble GTX680 in video output quality and presentation.  Jeez...

A little deflated...

Thanks for the video, Rob...it sure helps in the decision making, etc.  Thanks again!  I guess, if you have a 4K monitor, you'd want a Titan X, but at 1920x1200 max resolution on my monitor....perhaps not.

Ses

Gawd...there is still stuttering!

I know, I see that too over my 300 baud modem ... must be LM's fault ... guess I'll just have to run it at 320 x 200.

Cheers, Rob.

Is there some anti-imprimatur on posting YouTube links?

Not that I'm aware off, others seem to be able to post links.  Unless the video content violates any ToS for AVSIM then someone might remove it.

Cheers, Rob.

I know, I see that too over my 300 baud modem ... must be LM's fault ... guess I'll just have to run it at 320 x 200.

----------------------------

I hardly have a 300 baud, lol....actually, one of the fastest cable download speeds possible...and yes...the vid shows stuttering with your new toy, and v2.5....!!!  LOL. Unfortunately, it does, Rob.

Unfortunately, it does, Rob.

This stutter debate is endless ... I've posted many times about it and have even uploaded source video to my google drive so folks can download the video for local playback ... this removes 2 variables (out of about 20 possible variables as source for stutter) from the "I see stutters equation" ... those 2 variables are YouTube server loads and bandwidth throttling.  I've posted time frame data and much more ... the only think I haven't done is invited folks over to my house to see.

I see stutters in EVERY single video on YouTube, be it DCS, XP10, FSX, P3D, etc. etc. ...  heck I even see stutters in my own real world racing videos.

I recall someone posting a 4K video of XP10 ... it was stuttering much more than anything I've seen in my videos.  Since I know and understand the many possible sources of stutters, rather than feel "deflated" about XP10 in 4K, I didn't comment, nor did I make a decision based on stutters I saw in that video.  I give XP10 more credit than that, and DCS for that matter.

Cheers, Rob.

Not that I'm aware off, others seem to be able to post links. Unless the video content violates any ToS for AVSIM then someone might remove it.

Youtubes own link was there, between the > < when I composed it, as I just now again pasted Youtube's copy address function, and deleted, upon display.

Did that happen now?...let's see

Yup!...#####??? This happen to anyone else?

Thanks,

Chas

Edited by hesynergy

Since I know and understand the many possible sources of stutters, rather than feel "deflated" about XP10 in 4K, I didn't comment, nor did I make a decision based on stutters I saw in that video.  I give XP10 more credit than that, and DCS for that matter.

------------------------------------------

I absolutely appreciate your posts, as you are a first adopter..and get the comparisons right out there!  Thank you for that!

as you are a first adopter..and get the comparisons right out there!

No need to edit your post Mitch ... Titan X will mitigate stutters and if you run 60/30 combo stutters will be far and few between even at high graphics settings and 4K.  The only down side to running 60/30 combo is that ShadowPlay doesn't like it - hopefully nVidia will take a look at the ShadowPlay issue.

I can understand all the reasons not to buy a Titan X ... cost, 20% gain (over a Titan Black) isn't significant enough, still see a few stutters here and there with very high graphics settings, all valid reasons.

Cheers, Rob.

I can understand all the reasons not to buy a Titan X ... cost, 20% gain (over a Titan Black) isn't significant enough, still see a few stutters here and there with very high graphics settings, all valid reasons.

Any idea roughly what the difference in P3D might be between a first generation Titan and the Titan Black? Since i'm using a first generation Titan I suppose that 20% gain would increase a bit making it even more tempting to replace my Titan with a Titan X.

Richard Åsberg

Any idea roughly what the difference in P3D might be between a first generation Titan and the Titan Black?

The only Apples to Apples I've done is with my other PC (3960X) ... I didn't see much of a difference, about 5%.  

Now I don't think you can make that cumulative if that's what you're thinking (i.e. 20% + 5% = 25% gain)?  Final performance results are always a combination of all the components (hardware and software) that make up a PC ... it's very possible (and likely) if I ran my Titan X in my 3960X PC I'd see less of a gain than I do in my 5960X PC (chipset, CPU, memory bandwidth, etc. all different).

Cheers, Rob.