Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

one or two of the posters above are running default scenery and non pmdg aircraft and in those cases there is absolutely no reason to install FSX-SE

On the other hand if your running your rig maxed out with PMDG and ORBX etc then you will see an  almost unbelievable performance increase

ZORAN

one or two of the posters above are running default scenery and non pmdg aircraft and in those cases there is absolutely no reason to install FSX-SE

On the other hand if your running your rig maxed out with PMDG and ORBX etc then you will see an  almost unbelievable performance increase

Let's be truthful on both accounts here.

Bonjour,

I was not convinced to switch to FSX-SE, but I decided to try.

After the installation of all my addons (ORBX products, PMDG 737NGX, OPUSFSI...) I must admit that my simulation experience is better, a lot smoother with FSXSE.

So the switch is made.

Best regards

Claude

Claude Troncy

For me it made a huge difference and the proof is in that add-on developers are including FSX-SE in their installation software.

Jose De Campos

London

I have FSX on a good PC but I have FSX Steam on a good laptop near the living room.

Next week I'll use Steam In Home Streaming to use the laptop as the host and a small HTPC as a client and fly in front of my big screen TV without moving a thing.

Ethernet cable is the preferred medium for indistinguishable latency and any decent used PC or laptop can be the client.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/steam-in-home-streaming-guide-troubleshooting.208918/

Cost? a 25 ft. cable. I get a great deal of pleasure from my own axiom-

"a good Welshman can not only fix that which he has little knowledge of but intuitively make it better than it was when it worked"

nah, I just moved to P3D and I'm still in shock how well it runs and looks, really suprised me.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I've got it installed alongside boxed. Aerosoft have installers for steam and stuff like UK2000 you can point to the directory. Anyone know how to install stuff like Orbx which can't be manually pointed to the FSE SE folder in a dual install?

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I've got it installed alongside boxed. Aerosoft have installers for steam and stuff like UK2000 you can point to the directory. Anyone know how to install stuff like Orbx which can't be manually pointed to the FSE SE folder in a dual install?

Use the flight1 registry repair utility to point the FSX path to the one for Steam, then the installer will install it there. Note you'll have to manually add the objectflow.dll entry into the dll.xml file. You can just copy that from FSX boxed dll.xml file. You may also need to add the actual scenery into the scenery library manually through the GUI. This is how I installed FTX Global. I don't have any other Orbx scenery installed, but I think it would work the same way.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Of no interest to me either. I have my FSX DX-10 working well AND enjoying it. No reason to switch BUT I hope that the people that do switch enjoy it.......

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Use the flight1 registry repair utility to point the FSX path to the one for Steam, then the installer will install it there. Note you'll have to manually add the objectflow.dll entry into the dll.xml file. You can just copy that from FSX boxed dll.xml file. You may also need to add the actual scenery into the scenery library manually through the GUI. This is how I installed FTX Global. I don't have any other Orbx scenery installed, but I think it would work the same way.

Ah ok. So am I right to think we could you use this method almost like a 'migration tool' to shunt the install directory backwards and forwards between SE and boxed as desired in a dual install situation? I'm keen to investigate SE but my cautious side needs to have boxed waiting in the wings if necessary.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Let's be truthful on both accounts here.

?

Ah ok. So am I right to think we could you use this method almost like a 'migration tool' to shunt the install directory backwards and forwards between SE and boxed as desired in a dual install situation? I'm keen to investigate SE but my cautious side needs to have boxed waiting in the wings if necessary.

To avoid possible issues with some add ons dual installation should really be avoided. ORBX for example will not provide support for a dual install. In short if you need to point to FSX-se with a registry tool like F1 then you dont have a "clean" install

ZORAN

A problem for some that remains with FSX-SE is the lack of a Multiplayer Direct Connect capability. I don't know if this will be addressed by DTG in the future, or not. I'm not aware of any comments by DTG on this issue. They may want all multiplayer activity to be through Steam.

Al

No rush. I bought it but still the main one is the boxy. Good for the new generations still to come. I am glad. Hoping that Steam may induce MS to make a FS-XI. Hey, that's the stuff that dreams are made of...

Cheers,