Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

You could have just added another SimObjects line to point to the FSX aircraft, but you would then get problems with duplicate default aircraft in the Steam folder. Easy enough to delete the default aircraft folders, of course, to avoid this conflict, but I didn't do this because I use a separate folder for the few FSX-installed aircraft I need, "MyAircraft", and copy their folders into that. (I only fly a 737NG because that's what my cockpit is. It suits no others).

Pete

thanks Pete, in going through this process I have realized that the referencing works well for scenery and ai planes but probably best just to install addon aircraft directly into Steam. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Once you've reinstalled an FSDT scenery, does it work in both sims or is a 'one or the other' only? Assuming it works in both, I imagine that once the installer has done it's magic, you can probably share a single copy of the actually scenery folder between both sims.

I can confirm that this works.

My personal concern with using symbolic links here (perhaps totally unfounded) is accidentally  blowing away shared 'core' folders when uninstalling SE or boxed FSX at some point.

It's not unfounded. If FSXSE points to a FSXMS folder and you uninstall FSXMS, the symbolic link will go nowhere and FSXSE won't work anymore. Ditto for the other way 'round.

If you've got FSXSE pointed to your FSXMS installation, delete the symbolic links before deleting FSXSE's local content.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I pretty much gave up on FSX when my old computer died, and never bothered installing it on my new one. I heard a bit about Steam taking it up, but figured it was only a scheme to get people to re-buy a product they already owned, so didn't give it much of a thought.

It was only last week that I started reading about FSX-SE, and getting interested all over again. Looking at some of the YouTube videos makes the scope of the improvements clear

Still, I am not taking the plunge yet. Maybe it's just cussed stubbornness on my part, but it really ticks me off to read about what a great deal everyone was able to get (on multiple occasions) at $4.99, and realize that, were I to go for it now, I'd be stuck paying more than five times as much. Considering all I paid for the boxed version plus Acceleration, that $24.99 is a bridge too far, especially since I'm near certain that, the minute I clicked the "buy now" button, another $4.99 deal would begin, leaving me feeling like I had a big "SUCKER" label stamped across my forehead.

So, I have returned to FSX…but, for the moment, still with my boxed version. If Steam decides to grace us with another sale, I'll grab it. But at $24.99, after all I've already invested? No, thanks.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Hi Folks

Could I kindly request some advice re SE, I have it sitting in the download on Steam since Dec and have watched until it has settled down re upgrades etc.

This now seems to be pretty stable , rather that have both version and due to limitation in SSD capacity I am thinking of unwinding FSX and the addons..mad I know and doing a fresh install of SE? My main SSD has the OS on but has a transfer rate of 6gb a sec rather than the 80 go of 3gb so would it be ok to install SE on the main SSD?

Also a lot of talk on smoothness in what way do you mean turning on the ground taxi etc less scenery jitters etc...I run DX 10 now and it is pretty good just occasional jitters..my set up the s for airline ops only...I know it is all about perception but I am dithering as it is a lot of work to in do it all, I suppose I could place it on the main drive as there is room enough but I am not confident when it comes linking files so SE reads the scenery ASN etc..from FSX

Just though I would ask whisk I make a decision...thanks all

I would keep both....at least for now.  The problem with Steam is that they push out updates automatically and they often break things.  I then takes the developers some time to update installers and you are without your sim.  I updated to the official release last night and the sim tended to crash on startup.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I would keep both....at least for now.  The problem with Steam is that they push out updates automatically and they often break things.  I then takes the developers some time to update installers and you are without your sim.  I updated to the official release last night and the sim tended to crash on startup.

No crashing here however it broke my GTN750 :-(

ZORAN

Thank you for the information Mark,

That is most helpful...a time to pause ......will probably have a bash at placing it on the C drive and leave FSX on the D drive and work it all out from there.

All the best

Mark

I pretty much gave up on FSX when my old computer died, and never bothered installing it on my new one. I heard a bit about Steam taking it up, but figured it was only a scheme to get people to re-buy a product they already owned, so didn't give it much of a thought.

It was only last week that I started reading about FSX-SE, and getting interested all over again. Looking at some of the YouTube videos makes the scope of the improvements clear

Still, I am not taking the plunge yet. Maybe it's just cussed stubbornness on my part, but it really ticks me off to read about what a great deal everyone was able to get (on multiple occasions) at $4.99, and realize that, were I to go for it now, I'd be stuck paying more than five times as much. Considering all I paid for the boxed version plus Acceleration, that $24.99 is a bridge too far, especially since I'm near certain that, the minute I clicked the "buy now" button, another $4.99 deal would begin, leaving me feeling like I had a big "SUCKER" label stamped across my forehead.

So, I have returned to FSX…but, for the moment, still with my boxed version. If Steam decides to grace us with another sale, I'll grab it. But at $24.99, after all I've already invested? No, thanks.

Add FSX-SE to your wishlist on your steam account, you will be informed with an email and a notification when a new discount is out. I am sure there will be one for summer too.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Over all its been a pretty painless update especially when compared to say P3D. We dont have to do anything except wait for the big boys to do all the work.. DT must have worked in with PMDG as the 777 works when it didn't in the Beta

ZORAN

In my case the update was painless and solved some issues I was having. I am loving SE  more every day! ^_^

Add FSX-SE to your wishlist on your steam account, you will be informed with an email and a notification when a new discount is out. I am sure there will be one for summer too.

Done. Thanks!

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080