Good day pilots,

A few months ago I started playing FSX, but have the problem that my fps are not as high as they are recommending (around 30).

My fps range from 7 to 15 and try to tweak, but without great results. Still the fps are around 10 to 17.

The following add-ons are installed:

FTX Central
REX Essential Plus Overdrive
REX 4
GEX
UTX
PMDG + other add-on aircrafts
NL2000
FSPassengers
FSUIPC
EZDOK

Is my hardware still good enough or do I have to replace it all?

My system:

Intel Q9450 (overclocked 3 GHz)
ATI 5870 (Core 1GHZ, Memory 1.2 GHZ)
OCZ Reaper X 4GB (2x2)
Crucial 512GB SSD
ASUS P5E

Thanks for the advice in advance!

That's an older system for sure

Save up and replace the motherboard, RAM, CPU and video card. I'd recommend 4790K and GTX 970, 8GB of ram

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I suggest getting a new system.  Upgrading your current one will be difficult at best, or impossible.

sig01.png

I went from a Q9550 overclocked to 3.4 to a sandy bridge 2600k overclocked to 4.8. Massive difference.

So If you choose to upgrade to the new 4790k you will see much better results then your current system.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Thanks all for the reply and advice!

No wonder that the fps is not getting above the 17 fps, if I compare the hardware above with my current system.
All the add-ons are also heavy for the system, so need to replace it all. Try to overclock some more, so maybe this has some results.

Ryanbatcund, your advice is a GTX 970, but what difference does it make between NVIDIA and AMD?

Was thinking to take 16GB RAM or is this overkill?

i have 24 gigs of ram with my 4790k and gtx 970, you can never have enough ram,xplane-10 i can get my system to use 17 of the 24 gig

Thanks all for the reply and advice!

No wonder that the fps is not getting above the 17 fps, if I compare the hardware above with my current system.

All the add-ons are also heavy for the system, so need to replace it all. Try to overclock some more, so maybe this has some results.

Ryanbatcund, your advice is a GTX 970, but what difference does it make between NVIDIA and AMD?

Was thinking to take 16GB RAM or is this overkill?

Nvidia and Intel are more optimized for FSX/P3D (or the other way around), simply.  At an equivalent price, you're better off with them.

sig01.png

if your on a budget, grab an asus z97-A i am using one now with a 4790k, i also use msi boards, asus has a nice little feature to overclock now as well, depends on what your budget is, if you want a high end board i would still buy like a asus z97 anything, the same way with msi, both i have had the best luck with

I personally use premium Asus and MSI boards most of the time, except on request.  As for memory, the faster the better - I like G.Skill and Kingston for the great after sale support, but had good experiences with Corsair also.  Get a Corsair liquid cooling system if you plan on OCing.

sig01.png

Big thanks to all of you and will buy the new parts that are adviced. I'm curious about the performance progression with the new system.

Thanks a lot and until next time ;)

If you do go with a 4790K system it will be oodles and oodles faster than your present one.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Your processor has already been addressed, but I'll give you some info on your graphics card.

Though I recommend NVIDIA, your graphics card is actually a great ATI card that outperforms many later ATI cards.  I ran an ATI 5830 (same card as yours, only not overclockable as much as yours) in a previous system (with an i7-960 processor, which I sold to a fellow flight sim pilot - he's still using it and loves it).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Your processor has already been addressed, but I'll give you some info on your graphics card.

Though I recommend NVIDIA, your graphics card is actually a great ATI card that outperforms many later ATI cards.  I ran an ATI 5830 (same card as yours, only not overclockable as much as yours) in a previous system (with an i7-960 processor, which I sold to a fellow flight sim pilot - he's still using it and loves it).

What is the fps difference with the change of the CPU, but with the same GPU?

Have searched for some motherboards and found some, but which one gives the best performance?

Asus Z97-Pro (Wi-Fi AC)

GigaByte Z97X-SOC Force

GigaByte Z97X-UD5H

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 or 7

What is the fps difference with the change of the CPU, but with the same GPU?

Have searched for some motherboards and found some, but which one gives the best performance?

Asus Z97-Pro (Wi-Fi AC)

GigaByte Z97X-SOC Force

GigaByte Z97X-UD5H

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 or 7

I have an I7 490K on a ASUS Z97-P and no issues OC CPU to 4.7GHZ and Cache to 4.6GHZ, RAM from 1600mhz to 1866 mhz, GPU from 1080 to 1200mhz.... no stability problem.

WOW performance for a less than 100€ mobo...

regarding GPU i have a R9 270X and it is perfoming quite well with no visual issue. Yes a titan would perform better but it cost ten times more ;-) (R9 270X=160€)

another price-wise GPU i think is GTX 970 if you want a nvidia card as many experts suggest.