Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

BBC sacks Top Gear's Jeramy Clarkson

I can honestly say that I won't be watching Top Gear if they go through with this. It also appears that James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear as well as they refused to film episodes without Clarkson.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Leaving aside whether the firing was warranted - as it absolutely sounds as if it was - this is the death of Top Gear.  Clarkson is the reason I watch.  Sure, the others contribute to a great ensemble cast, but Clarkson's the heart and soul of the thing.

Sad situation all the way around.

Scott

Scott - I agree with your sentiment and I think it explains, in large part, while all of the international ports of Top Gear are, in my opinion at least, unwatchable. The American version is excruciatingly horrible.

Clarkson was already on his final warning and abused even that.

He asked for it and got it. He certianly wasn't worth the 13 million, 12 month contract

I think It's wrong to give one guy so much importance. He was an idiot and behaved and drove like one many times.

Both Hammond and May admit he's a joke and should not of done what he did and should stay on.    I'd like to suggest the great character Charlie Boorman as a suitable replacement. 

Dave Taylor gb.png

It sounds like all three presenters will end up doing a new show on either Sky or Netflix (basically Top Gear with a different name).

Rumours are the BBC is trying to get Chris Evans as a replacement Top Gear present, although Evans has denied this and I hope he doesn't because I've read some of the road tests Evans has done. He's likeable and passionate about cars, but he can't road test.

I'm sad at Clarkson being dropped but I don't think the BBC had any choice, he put a colleague in A&E (ER) because he didn't get a hot dinner. That will get you sacked from any job. Full statement is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32054004 and further information at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

The American version is excruciatingly horrible.

Completely agree.

Clarkson was already on his final warning and abused even that.

He asked for it and got it. He certianly wasn't worth the 13 million, 12 month contract

No argument about the man being wholly responsible for being let go, or that the firing was warranted.  But as for the contract, Clarkson IS Top Gear.  Before they revamped the format and let Clarkson off his leash to be his acerbically funny self, the show was a little known, bland car show with limited appeal.  He transformed it into an international success, and a money mint for the BBC.

You may not like the man, but you can't argue with the success he had.  I'm not much of a TV watcher, but Top Gear is, or was, one of the few I'd try to catch at least semi-regularly.

Scott

Since not much detail was released on incident who knows maybe that guy did deserved it for slacking at his job etc and not making arrangements etc, but never the less very unprofessional behaviour by Jeremy, but then hard to expect from him that as that specific behavior is what makes the show so awesome,   they should of fined his a##@ huge fine with paying any damage to the other guy and continued the show with him in it.   I will miss that show for sure, one of my favorites to watch, but i guess all good things end eventually, sadly

total sadness.

To be correct, and avoid the scrutiny of litigious representatives, Clarkson has NOT been sacked. The statement makes it clear that his contract is not being renewed. 

Different fish. Same kettle. Less boiling.  :Nerd:

The contract was up at the end of March. Conveniently.

If the BBC don't realise JC and the team probably have a very lucrative 'something` up their sleeves, they're being very naive. I certainly shan't be watching Top Gear again - it was only the 'friction' of Jezza, Captain Slow and the Hamster that made it entertaining. It hadn't been a car show since about 1993.  :Hmmmph:

Perhaps Top Gear can return to the days when it was a program the man-in-the-street would watch to help choose his next car.

Not everyone wanted it to become 'Men Behaving Badly' without the humour, but with access to ridiculous motors.

Dave.

Cue flames .........

Wont be same without him :( Top Gear is my fav show as well.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Cue flames .........

No flames, but the numbers suggest that your opinion (valid though it is) is a minority one.  There are other car shows out there that play it straight, and I've enjoyed those over the years too, but even though I'm no longer the car enthusiast I once was, I still watched TG.

Scott

that guy did deserved it for slacking at his job etc and not making arrangements etc, but never the less very unprofessional behaviour by Jeremy,

I don't know where you work but at the company I work for, if you physically or verbally abuse another employee, you're gone.

NAX669.png

Perhaps Top Gear can return to the days when it was a program the man-in-the-street would watch to help choose his next car.

Not everyone wanted it to become 'Men Behaving Badly' without the humour, but with access to ridiculous motors.

Dave.

Cue flames .........

There are youtube videos for that. I don't want a show with a guy driving a compact car or mini van where's the fun in that

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I'm pretty sure ALL 3 (May, Hammond, Clarkson) will be picked up by another media outlet.

BBC works in inconsistent and mysterious ways ... I guess the BBC head forgot about how the Producer really MESSED up the Argentina episode by putting the entire cast and crew in REAL LIFE THREATENING danger.  Yet one punch to that same producer gets Clarkson fired?  

That producer really shouldn't still have a job after the complete mess and unfinished episode around Argentina.   I guess the "no food" finally pushed Clarkson over the edge and he exploded.  Anyway, looks like May quit also, and possibly Hammond.  

I think the show will return on a different outlet and most likely called "Best British Car show" ... BBCs

I like the show, really enjoyed their trips around the globe in various cars ... especially the old Lotus ;)

Cheers, Rob.