Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

HDR Strength

What Parameter controls the HDR strength in p3d?  I have my bloom set up the way i like it but I feel there is too much difference between the brightness of the aircraft panel an the outside world.  For example when I look out the windscreen the panel becomes too dim, almost like what happens with a camera but no the human eye, basically I want less hdr range.  Ive read all the hdr stickies and threads but none seem to discuss the hdr range.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

What Parameter controls the HDR strength in p3d?  I have my bloom set up the way i like it but I feel there is too much difference between the brightness of the aircraft panel an the outside world.  For example when I look out the windscreen the panel becomes too dim, almost like what happens with a camera but no the human eye, basically I want less hdr range.  Ive read all the hdr stickies and threads but none seem to discuss the hdr range.

Rob would be the person to help you with this for sure

Rich Sennett

What Parameter controls the HDR strength in p3d?

What changes have you applied so far?

And what do you mean by "range"?

Cheers, Rob.

Ive set avg lumanance to a value that gives reasonable brightness during the day and reasonably dark nights, I lowered blur sigma (I like the bloom blur effects), raised the time delta setting, and raised bloom threshold so things that don't have much light applied to them dont get bloom, but also increased bloom strength so that the sun appears a bit stronger, as in real life.  But I still find that the flightdeck appears too dark when looking at bright clouds, although the clouds look bright as they should.  It is correct that the background should appear somewhat darker when viewing bright objects, but I am just looking to lessen this effect slightly without altering bloom and night brightness.  That is what I meant by range.  Thanks for reading!

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

You can mess with HDR in P3D?? Where at?? 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Also does anyone know if there is a parameter in the cloud.fx file that affects the cloud brightness as to make them not show up so brightly at night with no moon?

You can mess with HDR in P3D?? Where at?? 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455299-the-perfect-hdr/

I lowered blur sigma (I like the bloom blur effects), raised the time delta setting, and raised bloom threshold so things that don't have much light applied to them dont get bloom, but also increased bloom strength so that the sun appears a bit stronger, as in real life.

I'm actually back to the original values now ... I have made a request that LM build a UI to allow owners to adjust HDR to their liking.  For example I disagree with your preferences above and I don't like blur sigma ... so rather than LM getting caught in the "preference" process (since it is very individualistic), it would be good to remove themselves (LM) from this preference process and just allow product owners to "tweak" HDR to meet their goals of what looks most accurate to them.

But beyond the values I've used in the past, I haven't experimented any more with them.  Have you tried increasing the sun size (suneffect.cfg) to see what impact it may have on your scene?  HDR scene is a calculated one where textures used (sky, cloud, terrain, sun, time of day) can and will influence color and brightness levels.  

Cheers, Rob.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455299-the-perfect-hdr/

I'm actually back to the original values now ... I have made a request that LM build a UI to allow owners to adjust HDR to their liking.  For example I disagree with your preferences above and I don't like blur sigma ... so rather than LM getting caught in the "preference" process (since it is very individualistic), it would be good to remove themselves (LM) from this preference process and just allow product owners to "tweak" HDR to meet their goals of what looks most accurate to them.

I think thats a great idea and hope to see this  in the future.  As for suneffect, I have not tried that, maybe increasing the sun size will allow me to have a brighter day time so I can decrease the average brightness making nights darker.  But then it possible that the hdr will sense the extra brightness outside and make the cockpit even darker still.  It is for this reason I am looking to lessen the range of the hdr.   

Hi Rob,

Which lines do you edit in the suneffect cfg to increase the size and do you know the minimum and max settings?

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Which lines do you edit in the suneffect cfg to increase the size and do you know the minimum and max settings?

I have no idea if this will impact HDR, just something that could be experimented with.

SunEffect.cfg is located here in v2.5:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

[general]
SunSize=900

I would also imagine the sun.bmp and corona1.bmp and sunglow.bmp would play a part in the overall HDR calcs.

Cheers, Rob.

Ok guys this is very preliminary but I believe I have discovered something very promising, seems almost too good to be true as I don't believe we have ever had bright sunlight with bloom combined with dark shadows under clouds, and dark nights where you cant see even a single cloud with no moon in the sky, all while using one hdr file.  It seems too good to be true, but this is exactly what I am getting in my sim after messing with a few parameters within the hdr file.  Im not going to post any specifics yet as I want to get some flying and testing in before I get anyone's hopes up, but hopefully sometime this weekend after doing some flying I will post the specifics of my mods in the tips and tricks section, stay tuned. 

I like tips and tricks - sounds promising 

Rich Sennett

Can't wait to test it. Thank you for tweaking!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Looking forward to it.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.