Sign in to follow this  
LecLightning56

Farewell to Flight Sim

I have reluctantly decided to postpone all further flight sim activities. Unfortunately the problems of the Humberside region in the United Kingdom preclude the safe enjoyment of the hobby and is further hampered by the lack of local contacts in the form of a definite and active flight sim group or society in the area. I hope one day that I can return to this enjoyable pastime in a better world and where perhaps more local support is available.

Highlights to me have been FsiPanel to practice approaches with the heavies and seeing the continual improvement of Prepar3D. I am sure for those of you who pursue this hobby and consider yourselves lucky to enjoy it will continue to benefit from what will hopefully be an exciting future for PC-based flight simulation.

So, signing out for now and wishing the community all the best in the future,

Paul Hermon

Unfortunately the problems of the Humberside region in the United Kingdom preclude the safe enjoyment of the hobby

Hi Paul, what does the above mean, I'm confused?

As for local groups, well it is always nice to have local groups to share, support and enjoy the hobby but actually, there are very few local groups that I'm aware of. There are no local FS groups in my area either (EGNT Newcastle area) that I'm aware of.

The hobby is more internet and community forum based (AVSIM being a great example of this).    Are you having problems with your sim, that was leading you to desire a local group? ...... perhaps if you post your problems, people here can help?

If you do decide to leave the hobby, the very best to you.

I'm also curious what you mean by problems with the area. I'm from Newcastle also and it isn't a huge distance away in terms of a global hobby and I can't derive the meaning from your post.

I don't see the point of these silly valedictory posts.

David Porrett

It's got me scratching my head a bit, Ok living on humberside must have it's downsides (it's near Hull for one) but I don't think that would be enough to make me stop flying my Sim.

Maybe the Huimberside region is currently under attack by a group of flightsimmer hating radicals that are hell bent on the hobby's destruction?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The OP wanted to meet some liked mind chaps in his area to go out for a pint and talk FlightSimming, I guess.  This hobby is a solitary pursuit, sure you can fly on vatsim but the flying is just you.  Having locals to meet is nice, but for me I don't usually have enough time to flysim let alone talk about it over beer  :lol: To the Op: good luck to ya, if later you have the itch to come back, we are still here.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Most rediculous post of the year award contender right here!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I don't see the point of these silly valedictory posts.

In my opinion, they're often "cries for help" where all else has failed.  It's a bit mean to make a statement like yours ....... can you imagine how the OP would feel to read your comment?

Most rediculous post of the year award contender right here!

If you're going to be wittily facetious, it's best to be able to spell the word 'ridiculous' correctly.

Humberside is such a "beautiful" area to live in that I would be heads down flying the sim 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

There's a Hull Flight Simulation Facebook group, it's more than most regions have.

And I've gone on to meet several people I first met through flight sim multiplayer, so it's not as solitary as you might think (granted it's not quite the same as being in a pub quiz team).

It's a shame to see Humberside getting so much flack, I lived in Hull for several years and although deprived it certainly had many nice parts (and was very cheap to live in). There's the pretty Yorkshire Wolds, numerous posh towns such as Beverley and seaside resorts like Cleethorpes.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

It's true this hobby doesn't do any favours for one's offline social life, but it's better than watching the telly which is, apart from a few quality series and films, total utter dross.