Sign in to follow this  
ST1322

I wish that PMDG would release light versions

Hi,

I wish that pmdg would release or consider releasing so called light versions of product. I'm not really interested in full ac simulation or failures in general, all I neec is to program, load and fly from a to b. Of course flying and air data and plane behavior is important.

Did pmdg ever comment on that?

Besides the above, I love flying 737 & 777.

Tom Link

Failures are optional and by default turned off.

Light versions of products normally don't have fully working FMC simulations. You said you want to program, so automatically what you're looking for isn't a light option.

Did pmdg ever comment on that?

Did you expect PMDG to comment in the 4 minutes between the original post and your post - Posted Today, 12:10 PM and Posted Today, 12:14 PM?

He mean did PMDG comment on that before. :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

The OP dated Posted Today, 12:10 PM seems to have been removed?

Yes. It was a duplicate post that is typical of people not knowing what the "Service Unavailable" message means when they try to post a new thread.

Mystery solved. Move on.

Kyle Rodgers

I find the NGX can already be very 'light' if you load it up with the engines running you can program the FMC fairly quickly and be on your way, especially with the ZFW and V speeds automatically calculated for you.

I actually wish the Majestic Q400 was a bit more like the NGX in this regards. It takes me a quite a while to get everything set on that one. 

There are plenty of developers creating 'lite' simulations.  PMDG's niche is that there's are realistic simulations.

It's a little like asking Ferrari to build a Fiat Punto 1.1

I find the NGX can already be very 'light' if you load it up with the engines running you can program the FMC fairly quickly and be on your way, especially with the ZFW and V speeds automatically calculated for you. 

I've found this the case as well and is normally how I use it. It doesn't get much lighter than this.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I actually wish the Majestic Q400 was a bit more like the NGX in this regards. It takes me a quite a while to get everything set on that one.

The Majestic Dash 8/Q400 Professional Version has different startup states implemented, and I'm fairly certain this newer control panel will be implemented in an update (I actually thought it already was implemented in the last few updates... I'll check on that).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

We have enough lite simulations already, look into aerosoft, qualitywings, captinsim, cls etc. I'd rather pmdg not waste their time and continue producing realistic addons as their are far fewer accurate simulations than lite products.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

The OP didn't explain why he wanted a light version. If it's for systems, then I'd have to agree that there are already some fairly "light" versions out there. 

The other reason he may have brought this up is for reducing the memory footprint of the aircraft. If that's the case, then...

This can be achieved (somewhat) by using a different (alternate) sound package provided by PMDG, using reduced graphics setting (for the NGX, not sure about the 777), and there are also a few graphics files that can be manually removed (you'll have to search the PMDG forums for this).

All of the above only slightly reduce the memory footprint, so I've never bothered. Better to follow the PMDG Guide and reduce FSX graphics settings as they have a far more significant impact.

Hope this helps the OP.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hey Tomi this is my take on your topic, see what you think.

I understand you wanting to get up a go without lots of hassles. Its easy to select the default FSX 737 and get in the air on the days when you don't feel like or don't want to take the time waiting for systems checks or prestart procedures. Please consider; if we ask for lite versions and PMDG planes just "looked" nicer, this would be a huge step backwards for PMDG. For about 15 years prior to FS9 I was wanting planes to be much more challenging and PMDG came through with their 737 & 747 for FS9, I was a happy camper and still am with the detail and care that go into PMDG products. It does not sound like you are a beginner Tomi, so you wanting PMDG to release "lite" versions baffles me a little.

I personally use FS2Crew, and for me it is a wonderful experience to go through all the steps we do to get a PMDG plane in the air and land. For beginners, if its overwhelming, hang in there, practice when you can, learn at your own pace. When you have the time to go through all the procedures and checklists its much more of a rewarding experience. If you get no sense of exhilaration from this, then its probably best to stick with the default planes. The company Just Flight has a slew of "lite" planes available, I tried the Just Flight freemium 757, and the Quality Wings 757, however after flying PMDG, the lite versions are too simple and I find the challenge lacking the details of realism that I longed for when I was using FS3-FS8.

There are times when I just want to see how Active Sky Next is depicting a storm or a hurricane and I want to get up to 40,000 feet fast, so I fire up the default A321 and hit F4 - no flaps needed lol. This is far from the norm for me, but I do understand that there is a place for lite versions. To *pay* for a lite version when the default planes are "lite" would not make much sense to me. Plus the fact that you can get a lot of "lite" versions of many kinds of planes in the Avsim (and other) libraries for free. But really, paying more than $50 for an add-on plane that is made to be highly realistic and yet not use the product to its fullest may be considered a waste in most cases, but to each their own.

I prefer PMDG to be in a class by themselves and continue to produce products solely for the simmer who wants realism at its most extreme possible given the current technology.     

There are plenty of developers creating 'lite' simulations.  PMDG's niche is that there's are realistic simulations.

It's a little like asking Ferrari to build a Fiat Punto 1.1

:LMAO: Well said.  The market is saturated with products that are pretty on the outside, nothing but fluff on the inside, and which typically cost less than half of what PMDG's products do. These add-on have their place, but were PMDG to enter that market, all they would accomplish would be to damage their own reputation.

Andrew Jones 

Andrew Jones

Why? you can go to avsim/flightsim and download a myriad of light-versions of 737 for free (??)