Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Decent forcast possible with ASN?

i got active sky next. Is it possible to get the numbers for the decent forcast with it? I am not sure I see them in the breifing part with asn. Thanks

Hi,

Let's hope that the forecasted weather will be "decent"!! :lol:  :rolleyes:

Sorry but I couldn't resist... :P  :lol: ...

I use this method: looking at the arrival airport forecasts (i.e. if arriving at LIRF I selected LIRF weather in ASN Next) I look at the wind at three levels according to my flight level (i.e. if I'm crusing at FL350 I could consider winds at FL300, 180 and 9000 ft and insert these data into FMC DESCENT FORECAST PAGE...

Best

Andrea Buono

Carefull with using that method as being at FL350 and that far out you can expect the winds to be different than whats around the dest airport.

What i do is copy/paste all the waypoints from TOD to the DEST from the briefing page winds aloft and insert it into my Briefing weather card send it to dropbox and i can view it on my IPAD. Then during my planning stage i'll take winds at FL300 200 and 100 if significant and see if the winds at those FL are different to whats at the DEST winds aloft. If you look at the winds aloft for all the waypoints and FL from TOD you might find they all match. If they all match great but if they don't you need to work it out.

Vernon Howells

decent forcast

Get PFPX. It has descent winds for 5 altitudes. Most of the time you will never need more than 2 if any at all.

Gregdpw, on 26 Mar 2015 - 1:37 PM, said:

decent forcast

Get PFPX. It has descent winds for 5 altitudes. Most of the time you will never need more than 2 if any at all.

Thats what i do sometimes. But i've found using PFPX winds aloft have been wrong

Vernon Howells

I often use Simbrief for flight planning, as I don't yet own PFPX. Some of the OFP formats, for example the SWA format, include descent winds in the output. While Simbrief is not getting it's weather date directly for ASN. Both ASN and Simbrief are getting real world weather data. If found that the descent wind forecasts I get from Simbrief to work very, very well. It's quite amazing to see how the NGX just perfectly nails a VNAV descent right on the numbers when it has this data.

BTW Simbrief is free.

Dave

Dave Paige

Okay how about this?

How would I put this into the Des forcast? My crusing alt for this flight is 35000. Also how do I figure out the outside temp?

Sorry about the cell phone pic.

2B4E6121-CA98-4283-A765-C72F87E80CCE.jpg

Have you not built in the SID and STAR waypoints?

I would use the TOD winds at 30k 282@63

Now for 24k and 18k i would check your MAP and see the wind bars for each of those levels and see where the figures match up for TOD and DEST. because obviously the winds speed and direction is changing from TOD to your DEST. So you have to check the MAP and see where the change is.

I found it quite hard at first but keep at it.

And the 9k prob be in the DEST aloft. But the winds aren't that strong at those levels

Vernon Howells

Hi,

try using live wx briefing in ASN by tuning to 122.05. 

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi,

try using live wx briefing in ASN by tuning to 122.05.

What radius from the dest is the winds aloft in NM?

Vernon Howells