Sign in to follow this  
steviecanuck

Jerky FS9 with new Rig

What am I missing?  I have searched the forums, tried many tips and tricks to get my FS9 running smooth with the new gaming computer I have and I am very disappointed with my results.  I am just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas or additional suggestions?

I am running three 24" screens with triple head to go, with all my views in windowed mode.  I fly in 2d panel cockpit view.  Here are my computer specs:

Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 - 4770k cpu @ 3.50 ghz, 8g ram, Directx 11, geforce gtx 970 4g

At first I thought it was because I was at an intense airport, fsdream team's lax.  So I played around with settings, turned off all my ai, lowered all my autogen scenery, no shadows, all the lowest weather settings, target framerate 25.  I use AA settings in the grahics card. I had the same jerky movement.

Then I removed fsdream team's scenery and used the default airport, same results.  Went to another default airport, yeg and still, same jerky frames.  So I am still thinking it's a settings thing somewhere.

Like I said, I've tried so many tips and tricks with no luck. Rebuilt my cfg, removed and added back scenery, tried the dxtfixer... Any other suggestions?  I think about moving to FSX but hate the thought of all the money I paid for added scenery in FS9 and starting over, learning a new flight sim.

Any other suggestions?

Aside from the good suggestion from Steve, I think your issue might be GPU driver related. Also you might want to check around and make sure FS9 will operate correctly with DX11 - just some thoughts. FS9 has a habit or the NVidia newest (latest and greatest) drivers which ever way you choose to look at it are known to not work well together sometimes. If you have done a lot of tweaking to the FS9.CFG file you might try making a backup of it and forcing FS9 to rebuild it just to find out if that helps. If it doesn't return the backup to use. If it does help discard the backup and redo your tweaks carefully a few changes at a time and test between changes.

Regards,

Well you said it yourself, "target framerate 25".

Do yourself a favour and set target framerate to unlimited.

Make sure you use an aero desktop theme, that gives you double buffering, so you won't get tearing although vsync isn't on.

Also, you have to overclock that CPU. It's a K model, so it's MEANT to be overclocked.

Get a good aftermarket cooler and crank it up.

I'm loving FS9 with my i5 2500K @4.5Ghz and GTX970 4GB. Super smooth and always 100+ fps in the air no matter what iFly ;)

And to clear up this DirectX 11 stuff...

FS9 doesn't use anything from DirectX11. It only means this is the DirectX version you have installed on your system (comes with Windows 7).

The DirectX library is backwards compatible for the most part, although it's always good to download and install the older DirectX9.0c to make sure all the needed

libraries are installed on your computer. This doesn't replace DirectX11 in any way, it only complements it and makes sure older software runs properly.

Also, as you are using windowed mode, do you use Autohotkey to get rid of the menu and taskbar?

It will look exactly like fullscreen mode but it will still be windowed.

If not, just search this forum, there is info on it here.

What speed does my hard disk spin at? I'm not sure how to find that out and how relevant is that with a new system?  I have very little stuff on my rig besides flight sim, it is mostly dedicated to just that.

Peter, thank you for your suggestions.  I will set my framerate as unlimited in FS setting, what about the settings in the graphics card?  And yes, in windowed mode, my menu and task bar are hidden.

What speed does my hard disk spin at? I'm not sure how to find that out and how relevant is that with a new system?  I have very little stuff on my rig besides flight sim, it is mostly dedicated to just that.

If you've installed a lot of scenery libraries, extra or high-res textures, etc, it can take a while for FS to load all the textures it needs into memory.  A faster HD decreases the time this takes - a SSD can take tenths of a second to load what my 7200 RPM laptop HD takes 1-3 seconds to access. You might not have considered this when you built your system and bought a drive for capacity instead of speed... with the result that FS might jerk while it pauses to load textures or other needed files.

what about the settings in the graphics card?

First, download Nvidia Inspector. It gives you more options for Antialiasing.

Choose the MS Flight Simulator 2004 profile and set the following:

Antialiasing Behavior Flags - None

Antialiasing Mode - Override any application setting

Antialiasing Setting - 16xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4xMS]

Anisotropic Filtering Mode - User-defined / OFF

Anisotropic Filtering Setting - 16x

Texture Filtering Negative LOD Bias - Clamp

Texture Filtering Quality - High Quality

Power Mangement Mode - Prefer maxiumum performance

That's what I'm using and image quality and performance is great.

With the 16xS AA setting I find no need to use Sparse Grid Supersampling any more.

All the other settings you can leave as is. Just remeber to hit "Apply" and all should be fine.

I have nVidia Inspector installed.  Changed my settings to neumanix's suggestions (including unlimited frame rates) and I am still getting only 8 fps at lax. Even when I stop all my ai, I only see an increase to 10 fps.  As I mentioned before, even when I go to a default airport with little to no traffic, same result.

The only thing I have not done, is overclock my i7-4770 3.5ghz cpu.  Would this really make a difference?  I have also stopped all background applications from running.

Will ram make any difference?  I read somewhere that FS9 does not make any more use that 4g of ram.  I have 8g of ram and was thinking of throwing in another 8.

Also, as suggested I rebuilt my cfg after the installation of the graphics card.  I am wondering if a whole clean install of FS9 would be the way to go?

Could this have something to do with using three monitors?

There must be something else with your system that's not right. You need to check for any applications or services that are hogging the CPU.

Turn off anything not needed for flight simulator. Check all your drivers.

Overclocking will help, but that's not the solution to your current problems.

Try without antialiasing, not that I think that's the problem, but it's good to know.

Hello,

I too bought a new machine a few months ago and did a rather long research and experimentation to find good settings to run FS9 smoothly. Let me suggest you try AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4V12 as an antialiasing setting. A target framerate as 60 works very well for me. Of course I don´t have three monitors like you so I don´t know about that. But these are the settings which I´m very happy with.

Tapani Österberg

Yes, that´s what I have been told but for some reason, even in big airports like LHR or CDG, works very smoothly for me. And I use 8x as anisotropic filtering.

Tapani Österberg

Could this have something to do with using three monitors?

Could it ?

Nobody replied to this.

I recently bought a new PC .

It doesn't match the power of the OPs setup,but fs9 runs massively better than my old p4 2.8 xp 2gb setup.

Even Egll,eham,lax etc,etc traditional performance hogs run completely smoothly now.

Add-on airports that used to reduce performance to a crawl I can now enjoy for the first time in years.

Anyways I only use one monitor.

So could the fact that the OP uses three could that be causing problems.(as Sascha asked)

Maybe the OP could try running just one monitor and see how that performs.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I am running three 24" screens with triple head to go

That will NOT cause stutters.

with all my views in windowed mode

That SHOULD not cause stutters.

I should fool around with your VSync settings.  If it is ON I would try with it OFF or vice versa.