Sign in to follow this  
neumanix

G-SYNC / FREESYNC - Is it for us?

G-sync has been out for some time now and a few compatible monitors have been released, and AMD's Freesync has just seen the light as well.

Regarding Nvidias g-sync, I understand that the following are required to make it work:

- game must run true fullscreen (I guess P3D is a no no)

- game must set Vsync On "internally" (i.e. NOT in NV control panel or Inspector)

Regarding X-plane, I have no idea.

The technology sounds amazing but is it for us?

If you have first hand experience, please let us know!

Actually to enable g-sync, v-sync needs to be set to OFF, which FSX defaults to in exclusive full-screen mode. In other words there is nothing that needs to be done, simple alt-enter to go to full-screen mode and g-sync is working.

Thanks for the info. I remember reading about having to have "in-game" vsync on, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

And Molleh, you said that there's and annoying flashing of the screen in FSX with gsync, so I guess I'll share that info with everyone else too.

How about FS9? Anyone tried gsync with good ol' FS9?

I don't have first-hand experience, but I've looked into G-SYNC and I'll share my thoughts. It works best on 60Hz monitors where the frame rates are <60 and >30. 30 is a hard lower limit with G-SYNC (at least in its current iteration); any lower than 30 and you will get stutters.

Now if you're like me then you have a target frame rate set in P3D/FSX of around 25-30. i.e. G-SYNC is simply not going to do anything. PMDG NGX + Orbx airport + weather = sub-30 fps for me so G-SYNC isn't going to help at all.

If you aren't running super-complex addons and therefore can set a higher/uncapped frame rate limit, but you still can't expect a solid 60 fps, then G-SYNC sounds pretty awesome. But yeah it comes down to your environment.

Another problem at the moment is that G-SYNC monitors command a $200 premium, and FreeSync is vapourware. When mainstream G-SYNC/FreeSync monitors become available I'll definitely get one because the use case is appropriate at times, but at the moment I'm not willing to pay the premium.

Well, two things.  First, the "G-sync works best with frames less than 60" myth is utter BS. Just like anything else, the higher the FPS, the better it looks. That being said, g-sync does help just as much at lower framerates too. Lately for example I have been playing the GOG version of Thief and Thief 2. Running at the monitor's refresh cap at 144fps, they look AMAZING with g-sync on. It's the most fluid experience ever. I tried for giggles without g-sync (running them in windowed mode) and the difference was massive and immediately noticeable, despite the game still running at 144fps.

Point two, g-sync doesn't work well with FSX. As FSX is always streaming terrain data into ram from the hard drive, there are constant and regular "flashes" or brightness fluctuations will totally kill the experience. 

MrMaestro, you shouldn't spread misinformation. You said "it works best on 60hz monitors". There are no 60hz Gsync monitors available at all. They are all 144Hz so far.

And I quote you again "Freesync is vaporware". Thas's BS as well. The latest Catalyst drivers have support for it and Benq XL2730Z is a new monitor with Freesync support.