Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

Alternative to TrackClip Pro?

Has anybody tried this alternative to TrackClip Pro for TIR5? I find the Clip Pro smoother and more responsive than the hat clip, but way too delicate. And restricts choices of headsets.

http://www.trackhat.org/

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Does it even work with TIR5?

It seems its built to be an offering only for the free alternatives to TIR5

I guess the underlying technology is the same so maybe it will work just fine?

Have a look at the Delan Clip: http://www.delanengineering.com. It's made of stainless steel so should be very durable. Alternatively, you could make one yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron. Take a look at http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/point_model.php - they should work OK with TrackIR.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I don't see why the Trackhat wouldn't work with my TIR5 camera which I would prefer to use because it is already modified (so to speak) for IR and light cancelling, plus it is 120FPS. It also gives me the option of headset or not.

Must say the Delan Clip looks like a nice solid replacement for the flimsy TrackClip Pro. The only downside to both products is they are both from the UK, meaning added shipping and import taxes with a bit of a weak Can $ right now.

Rick Hobbs

Must say the Delan Clip looks like a nice solid replacement for the flimsy TrackClip Pro. The only downside to both products is they are both from the UK, meaning added shipping and import taxes with a bit of a weak Can $ right now.

According to the web site (assuming you don't mind untracked shipping), you can get the Delan Clip for 49 CAD (£26.10) including shipping worldwide. Not sure how much Canadian taxes are but I'd bet the whole thing would still cost less than the TrackClip Pro.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Now I'm confused. I contacted the company that makes the TrackHat and they informed me that i can't use any hardware except NaturalPoint with TIR5. I can understand that being the case with the camera, but i thought that as long as you used the correct leds, the camera just scans the ir beams from any ir leds.

am wrong here?

Rick Hobbs

Now I'm confused. I contacted the company that makes the TrackHat and they informed me that i can't use any hardware except NaturalPoint with TIR5. I can understand that being the case with the camera, but i thought that as long as you used the correct leds, the camera just scans the ir beams from any ir leds.

am wrong here?

Difficult to understand why the TrackHat wouldn't work with other software\hardware combinations. The webcam just detects the LED pattern and the software then resolves the position in 3D. The DelanClip, which is just 3 LEDs in a particular configuration after all, works with TrackIR just as well as it works with FaceTrackNoIR. You can find instructions online about how to make your own version of the TrackHat which definitely works with FaceTrackNoIR - it's just a matter of selecting the appropriate LED pattern (clip or hat).

Welcome to the TrackHat support page!

F.A.Qs

Is the Trackhat/Trackhat Clip compatible with TrackIR?
Yes, they are both compatible with all models of the TrackIR sensor!

Very slow to ship! I have been waiting 5 weeks. 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I bought my TrackIR5 Pro on Ebay and the previous owner had reinforced the Track Clip Pro by winding some thinnish wire around the various IR prongs. Not very pretty, but really effective, I'm clumsy as hell and would definitely broken it by now if not for the wire reinforcement!