Sign in to follow this  
diranius

Sounds not playing on the NGX

Hey guys.

I have noticed that recently, some of the sounds of the NGX are no longer being played in FSX. Among these, the elevator trim wheel is not making any sound anymore when being moved, it is completely silent, same goes for the air conditioning packs and the recirculation fan, they are completely silent so the only sound I hear in flight is engines. I didn't do any changes to FSX recently that could have caused this issue. For a period of time (about 2-3 weeks or so), I have been absent and haven't been using the simulator, and as I recall everything was fine last time I used the simulator. So the issue seems to have been caused by something else?

I have tried defragmenting my hdd, I have tried reinstalling DirectX as the support staff suggested, but the problem persists.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any suggestions that could help solve this issue.

Hopefully not involving reinstalling the entire simulator.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Best regards

Hopefully not involving reinstalling the entire simulator.

This should be a last resort.

Check to ensure that your sound settings are configured properly in Windows and in the simulator. After you ensure those are configured properly, check to see what the sound settings are in the PMDG SETUP> menu of the FMC.

Kyle Rodgers

A sound setting for 5.1 will have this effect. Verify you do not select that with the NGX.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello again, thanks for your replies. I have now checked all sound settings, I also restored the NGX to "Original" from the FMC,  also the FSX sound levels are all on 50% as recommended by the manual, so I don't really see what else I could check.

If you don't have any other suggestions, I will try to reinstall the NGX first, hopefully that will solve the issue so I don't have to reinstall FSX itself as I got lots of addons and I really don't want to go through the process of reinstalling everything.

Before I reinstall the aircraft, I need to ask, how are things done when it comes to license? Do I just remove it from the programs list on control panel? (I am running Windows 7 x64), or is there a special "uninstaller" from PMDG I have to use so I don't loose my license?

You don't need to do anything with the license to remove and install, only a concern if you change operating systems. During beta tests I remove/install many dozens of times. Many.

There are two sound 'settings' one in FSX and one in the PMDG NGX FMS. Check both?

Dan Downs KCRP

I found it! I went into the sound settings in the FMC and checked the volume levels sections, turns out "ambience" and "external" were at 0 while the other ones were at 100, so i changed these two to 100 as well and all the sounds are working properly now. I have no idea why these settings were changed or if it defaults this way? 

Thanks for your help anyways! :D

Edit: Btw I have no idea what "ambience" and "external" have to do with the air conditioning and elevator trim sounds but regardless it fixed the problem  :P