Sign in to follow this  
VmaxAero

Official request from Laminar on X-Plane radio tuning procedure

Tuning radios in X-Plane can consist of two different methods.   A user can click on the inner or outer knob he wishes to tune and then "drag" the mouse with the button held down in order to sweep the frequencies up and down.  The other method  consists of clicking the knob you want to tune and then "holding" the mouse button down which will cause the frequency to start  sweeping up or down.   If you have used both methods in the past which do you prefer?   Please respond by: "click and drag" or "click and hold."   If you have another suggestion please post it.

Marty Arant - Consultant for Laminar Research and X-Plane

I don't know that I have a preference of those two.

The click and drag is highly dependent on the mouse sensitivity/speed and I've found it difficult at times to tune the exact number I want (altitude for example) by dragging unless I change my mouse speed.

The click and hold is "old fashioned" and works OK.  I like the speed-up feature for running altitude up quickly.

My preferred method is the mouse-wheel scroll used as plug ins by vendors such as Carenado.

I wish you could click on the radio button and just use the keyboard.

I realize that isn't as realistic however given the limitations of computer input it would be a lot less frustrating and would help with simulating IFR procedures when you need to get radios tuned in quickly.

I have resorted to creating keyboard shortcuts for tuning but I would prefer to be able to just directly input frequencies after hitting a hotkey to select which com/nav radio

• Upvote 1

Carenado has invested a ton of time and energy into creating the most flexible and intuitive manipulators for X-Plane possible.

The PC12 has a new "super-manipulator", which allows for:

-click, for discrete individual value changes (registers on mouse-up, in order to allow for the following other modes)

-click-hold, similar to X-Plane's default.  (Click and click-hold modes rely on where the user clicks: top/right of a knob yields increasing values, bottom/left yields decreasing values.)

-click-drag vertically, for rapid increase or decrease of values. (independent of mouse starting position.)

-click-drag horizontally, for fine-tuning of values.

-scroll.  

This will be a standard in future Carenado planes, and the above-mentioned idea is also in its design phase, although no ETA has yet been established for that feature.

This implementation allows users to simply manipulate knobs and handles in exactly the way they prefer, or experiment with different techniques.

Click

Just click.

Click, click, click.

Not a fan of finger origami.  I prefer a reasonably sized hot-spot to just click as necessary.

Mouse wheel is the best - but the biggest problem of all xp is the size of the clickspots... They are minuscule. Enlarge the Clickspots.

Sometimes they even change with a slight change of head movement (Track IR user here)... Making interacting with the radios very difficult.

Oh PS - have an option to get rid of the 8.33 kHz frequency spacing.. Takes forever to tune the radio and is annoying when online.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh PS - have an option to get rid of the 8.33 kHz frequency spacing.. Takes forever to tune the radio and is annoying when online.

YES!!

Mouse wheel every time for me. The drag or click click click is not nice and efficient at all, especially when I have to pause the sim to dial in an altitude (making it impossible to do on vatsim).

Mouse wheel. Click and enter frequency via keypad would be a nice option.

• Upvote 1

Torfi

Of the two options offered, I would like the click and hold - provided the clickspots were definitive.

Carenado's mouse wheel option is, by far, the best.

John

John Wingold

A keyboard popup/entry option makes even more sense if you factor in GPS entry where more than just numbers come into play.

It's so tedious to dial that stuff in right now that I just use Foreflight on my iPad anyhow. Which is obviously simply awesome. Haha

Mouse wheel is best for me. If that isn't available then click + drag, but nothing else is as easy and intuitive as mouse wheel for anything involving up/down selection. I wish the default (new) GPS worked that way too.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor