Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

FSX - P3D 2.5. Should I?

Hi guys,

I've been in a constant battle whether I should upgrade to P3D. Some of you know me around and about but I have been simming for over a decade and I do have FSX running ok, I don't suffer from many OOM's at all (can't remember the last one).

Specs:

I5 2500K @4.7GHZ

GTX970

16GB 1600 RAM

and the usuals ETC.

I am desperately dissappointed that PMDG charge so much to get the p3d version and i think that;s the reason I have held off.

I am really seeking more FPS, I am happy with the visuals on FSX and the sim as a whole. I would just like to utilise the gtx970 as my processor pretty much runs at 100% when on vatsim events (CTP anyone?)

Should I wait out, or upgrade and leave FSX behind.

(I think BAV pheonix is not compatible with p3d is that true?)

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Well I what I did was installing Prepar3d 2 and up besides FSX and see how it performs, V2.5 was the tipping point for me local here to migrate...

I did that with all FS versions in the past...

André

Should I wait out, or upgrade and leave FSX behind

Welcome ... but Alex this is your decision.  Isn't it unfair to expect others to make it for you?

Any questions you may have will not be unique and can be answered by perusal in this forum at your leisure.

Alex - I was going through the same thing and 3 weeks ago I decided to buy P3D and install it alongside FSX (DX10).  I've had FSX running great but was intrigued with P3D. I did have to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 970 (from a GTX660) and I have spent many hours trying to get P3D set to my liking but I think I am finally there!  I'll tell you this, I have not flown once on FSX since my switch and FSX looks so bland now.  It's takes so long to load up compared to P3D also.  I did break down and buy the PMDG 737 and 777 as these are the 2 main aircraft I fly.  My FPS are between 30-40 in the 777 and 25-35 with the 737 (UTX 2, REX 4, ASN, Soft clouds, EZdodok) which is double what I was getting in FSX.  No harm in buying it as I think LM even offer a 30 day return period.  I think you will be happy with it as I was...and I was a skeptic!

Eric

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I am also having trouble deciding for the primary reason that I have many many FSX pay ware addons and can't afford to repurchase them. As a PMDG owner, my primary mounts, I was bitterly disappointed that there was no discount for what is basically just a port and I will not reward that behaviour.

So, though I looked, can someone point me the master list of FSX pay ware known to work with P3D? CHEERS.

spacer.png

I would like to upgrade but have decided to wait and see. I still invest in FSX but now when I buy aircraft and scenery .... I make sure the product is compatible for both P3D and FSX

Its really ONLY a question of spending 60 bucks or not

You get to keep FSX and all its parts

Just try it. Same system as me and I run at 4k. You can get a refund if you don't like it, or why not get a one month non recurring developer license for $10. If you don't like it after that don't buy it. Yes it costs you a bit but you don't have to mess with a refund. Either way the best solution is to try it.

Chris

I too have been on the fence about this decision and it's getting more difficult.  I recently rebuilt my PC, re-installed FSX but moved to DX10 using Steve's DX10 Fixer.  WOW is what I can say about the graphics and with the clean install I really haven't encountered (yet) any system instability or run up to VAS limitations.

I do have a toe in the water so to speak. I did purchase a license for PMDG's 777 but haven't pulled the trigger on P3D. 

The transformation gets expen$ive when you look at re-acquiring PMDG and A2A payware inaddition to the $200 outlay for P3D.

I initially thinking on upgrading to 3 x 28" monitors with a Volair sim setup. 

I know I will, it's just a matter of time, but for now I'm content with FSX. 

Kevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Hi, the first day i installed p3d i got frustrated and uninstalled iy... but if you take your time and tweak it along with your hardware you will not regret it because it has a better graphics. No matters the sliders dx 11 is better than dx9 even 3d party dx10. Most of addons i use are. Compatible so that was a nobrain for me. Just keep in mind that they works different and also p3d needs its own study to perform better (not true that you simply install it and fly). Tomorrow or perhaps the day after you will switch so why not. After i optimized p3d i cannot go back to fsx it seems just too old and when you are simming you want it to be "as real as it gets" which is not fsx anymore... maybe you will want a new cpu

P3D for me is much better than FSX as it utilizes my cpu and my gtx770 better than FSX.  The graphics are better and the sim is much more smooth.  Plus, I do not have to deal with autogen popping up right in front of me. P3D's shadowing and lighting makes it seem like my aircraft is actually in the simulated environment instead of on top of it.

P3D offers a 60 money back guarantee so if you do not like it, get your money back.

Bottom line for fence sitters, you are not asking someone to marry you, it is just a software product that you can get your money back if you do not want it anymore. If you want, you can even load up the software that you have that has a free P3D version and give that a go and that includes most of the software out there except PMDG. 

There are big decisions and problems in like and this is not one of them. Try it. If you don't want it return it. If you  do want it keep it.

No need to over think this.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

The optimise parts changed it for me. So I bought the academic. Get global and everything there and I've got a week off to play with it. I'm actually very excited. If it performs then I'll die a little inside and re purchase the pmdg stuff.

My only predicament now is if I can put up with the academic licence. I don't want to spend days installing everything only to want to upgrade and have to do it all again (quicker way guys?)

Alex

P. S thanks for all of your replies

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Its really ONLY a question of spending 60 bucks or not

You get to keep FSX and all its parts

It's not the simulator I am concerned with but rather who will take the lion's share of this market. With the Release of steam I would rather watch for now.  I have FSX running rather well. With the reluctance in creating a 64 bit platform for fear the third party developers will not want to get on board and re-tool continues to keep us in the stone age

At least the stone I am running is well polished. 

I just want to see where we are headed before I spend thousands again. 

If I were heavily invested in FSX addons , I wouldn't make the switch ... yet. P3D is fantastic and if I were starting from scratch, there is no doubt that right now P3D is really starting to separate itself from FSX. BUT it isn't just about the cost of the sim is it. The upgrade cost of several popular addons has to be factored in.

If your FSX is set up and stable just hold off and see what the next couple of releases from LM bring. And who knows, maybe Dovetail will give a peek at their intentions for whatever product they have in the works.

Chris