Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Go around pitch with strong headwind

Hi, I am doing go arounds with a quite strong headwind (about 25 knots, steady) . I press TOGA and I get THR/TOGA/TOGA, but the flight director pitch bar starts going up and up, aiming I don't know where, but surely much more than 2000 ft/min. This way the airplanes rises the nose too much, the speed decreases and THR REF automatically kicks in, bringing the airplane to climb even at 6000 ft/min and overshooting the go around altitude (3000 ft) even by almost 2000 ft! Ugly! Ugly!

This both in manual and A/P mode.

The go around flight director pitch and go around altitude need to be tuned, since the flight director doesn't aim at 2000 ft/min but at a much higher value in windy conditions and there is a dreadful overshoot of the go around altitude!

Thank you.

James Goggi

Well, I was about 200 pax and 7000 Kgs of fuel (about 195 tons gross weight). I suppose that in any case the A/T in THR mode and the AFDS commanded pitch should cooperate in order to maintain 2000 fpm, but this doesn't seem to happen.

The main problem here is that the pitch commanded by the F/D looks completely off, too high, much more than 2000 fpm, therefore the A/T can't maintain the approach speed, the speed decreases and THR REF engages. At that point the aircraft starts climbing like a rocket...

See this screenshot I made a few seconds after pushing TOGA (without A/P): you can clearly notice that I am manually keeping the pitch at 2000 fpm, while the F/D bar is much higher! Is that behaviour correct?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/s2n

James Goggi

Hi, I am doing go arounds with a quite strong headwind (about 25 knots, steady) . I press TOGA and I get THR/TOGA/TOGA, but the flight director pitch bar starts going up and up, aiming I don't know where, but surely much more than 2000 ft/min. This way the airplanes rises the nose too much, the speed decreases and THR REF automatically kicks in, bringing the airplane to climb even at 6000 ft/min and overshooting the go around altitude (3000 ft) even by almost 2000 ft! Ugly! Ugly!

This both in manual and A/P mode.

The go around flight director pitch and go around altitude need to be tuned, since the flight director doesn't aim at 2000 ft/min but at a much higher value in windy conditions and there is a dreadful overshoot of the go around altitude!

Thank you.

Do you use Active Sky Next  ? if yes, try to fly with default weather but set the same crosswind and see if it happens again.   i am getting stanges behaviors from t7 since the release of the sp1-B for asn...

hope this helps

Erek, thank you for your suggestion. I tried without ASN but it is exactly the same behaviour.

James Goggi