Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Still worth buying FSX stuff? Future of flight sim?

Hi there,

I am wondering if it's worth buying still FSX Addons or not. Of course, there you can get FSX+P3D in a bundle but nevertheless. I spend already genuinely a lot of money into FSX but I am wondering what's about the future about flight sim. It seems to me addons developers bet on P3D but I have read when it upgrades to 64bit most addons won't work.

Do you see a chance, to use all this (newer) developed addons for FSX in "the future sim". I am aware of we cannot no that today, but maybe there has been some statements of developers who have this aim. At least I've read about some new flight sim projects, so think we need to wait who will make the run. Though I am wondering why this companies don't developed a sim together, this would be much more productive and we wouldn't have 3 different sims in the end.

This topic includes two different topics, but do you think it's still worth to invest into FSX stuff?

Hi there,

I am wondering if it's worth buying still FSX Addons or not. Of course, there you can get FSX+P3D in a bundle but nevertheless. I spend already genuinely a lot of money into FSX but I am wondering what's about the future about flight sim. It seems to me addons developers bet on P3D but I have read when it upgrades to 64bit most addons won't work.

Do you see a chance, to use all this (newer) developed addons for FSX in "the future sim". I am aware of we cannot no that today, but maybe there has been some statements of developers who have this aim. At least I've read about some new flight sim projects, so think we need to wait who will make the run. Though I am wondering why this companies don't developed a sim together, this would be much more productive and we wouldn't have 3 different sims in the end.

This topic includes two different topics, but do you think it's still worth to invest into FSX stuff?

Yes, it's still worth it. 64 bit P3D, don't hold your breath.

Yes, it's still worth it. 64 bit P3D, don't hold your breath.

According to the P3D Forum, LM is working on a 64 bit version. Problem everyone will have once they do it (if they do it) is getting the addons converted so they work in it. A long process.... Then, everyone will want P3D converted to 128bits!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Do you see a chance, to use all this (newer) developed addons for FSX in "the future sim".

I highly doubt it. We live in a proprietary world now where any major investor (outside of an FS enthusiast or defense contractor) will expect nickel and diming of their customers.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I am wondering if it's worth buying still FSX Addons or not.

Depends on whether you currently use FSX.  If you do, and you want to fly with any partucular newly released addon, then the thought of future compatibility shouldn't be a question.

Any purchase that I make is for use and enjoyment at this very singular point in time.  I don't consider any computer related purchase, software or hardware, to be an investment that will serve me any farther than the current generation.  The fact that we've been able to purchase and enjoy flight simulation software for the same platform over a period of many years is very much a unique phenomenon.

In two years, there's no telling what we might all be flying on our computers.  Could be a 64bit version of P3D, or perhaps XP will gain the upper hand. Perhaps we might all be saving our pennies for some newly released VR or AR flight sim solution.  Or perhaps, it will still be the same FSX... who knows?

Regardless, I'd rather just keep enjoying what I've got, and spending on the items that I wish to enjoy in it. ^_^

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

probably be at least 7-10 years before we even see a 128 bit os, 64 bit will cure the vas issue for flight simming for 10 years to come.

I'm no expert, but given the unexpected problems that pop up with "just" developing add-ons, causing their releases to be postponed, I would guess the same would hold true even more so for something like re-writing the code for the flight simulator engine - even for someone with the resources of LM. So, assuming they are actively engaged in developing a 64 bit platform, it's difficult for me to imagine we'd be seeing anything for at least 2 years (and I'm prepared to be ripped for having no knowledge and basically just pulling a time frame out of my rear based upon my gut feeling).

Assuming my optimistic and purely speculative guess of 2 years, people wouldn't instantly switch, having invested heavily already into FSX - you might be looking at at least another 2 years before the balance starts to shift. Even then it would only be it there is a compelling reason to do so.

Take someone like myself - I have invested quite a bit in add-on scenery, aircraft, weather, etc. I have a system where the sim runs smooth, even if not at the highest settings or frame rates. I'm pretty comfortable with what FSX provides. To switch to another, and essentially throw away the $ I've invested, a new sim would need to be not just a little better, but significantly better - not just graphically but with the number and sophistication of aircraft, airports, and scenery in general. I suspect in terms of a market for developers, there would be quite a few like me - people who may eventually switch, but only after the newer platform is somewhat mature. Because of that I assume there will continue to be development for FSX for at least several more years.

• Upvote 1

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Hi there,

I think it's worth spending money on FSX. Even if a 64-bit P3D or FS 2016 arrives, it will take time for addon developers to create brand new products.

I am considering P3D but with all the money I have tied up in FSX all my future aircraft and scenery add-on's are now determined on that product being compatible with both FSX and P3D. I hope a 64 bit platform will come into play. It would seem that there is much resistance for P3D doing so. I read they are working instead on VAS management improvements with the 32 bit platform. The reason being that third party developers are not keen to re-tool. 

My thought is  " we can't live in the stone age forever "  I feel that the 64 bit is the solution for the future and the simulator's development. At least for now there won't be need to advance the machine I am running it on. 

The sky is not falling. Anything you buy now for FSX, FSX:SE or Prepar3D will continue to work as long as your hardware works, and the operating system continues to run the software.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The sky is not falling. Anything you buy now for FSX, FSX:SE or Prepar3D will continue to work as long as your hardware works, and the operating system continues to run the software.

This is a good advice. Let me add that any aircraft that was recently developed for FSX was massively coded outside of FSX just to get the flight models to work. FSX is a piece of software from 2006 and a poorly written one at that. Now after you have spent all this money over possibly 8-9 years you ask is it worth it, absolutely it is worth it. Look how many third party developers have sunk a 747 loads of money into keeping FSX alive and now Dovetail. 64 bit is not going to be the death of FSX, it is going to be a beginning of another very expensive journey.

Do you enjoy it? Then buy it!

The A2A Cessna 182 is one of the best add-ons in the history of FSX. And it was released EIGHT YEARS after FSX. 

So until this "future sim" materializes (and I don't believe it ever will) FSX is what we've got. And as long as people like A2A continue to develop innovative add-ons FSX will continue to have value.

I don't purchase with the aim of future-proofing. When a great plane costs just about what a good dinner out costs, who cares? I will get much more than $50 value for a great add-on in one weekend. 

Eddie
KABQ

The A2A Cessna 182 is one of the best add-ons in the history of FSX. And it was released EIGHT YEARS after FSX. 

So until this "future sim" materializes (and I don't believe it ever will) FSX is what we've got. And as long as people like A2A continue to develop innovative add-ons FSX will continue to have value.
Yes I do have it and love it !!!  The future sim will one day arrive but I don't know if it will be in my lifetime. 55 years old with 5 heart attacks under my belt. 

I think the question of the OP is kind of impossible to answer...

What does ... is it "worth" it  ? ... mean ??

I mean, one night out with you're friend / wife probably costs more than an FS addon you buy.

So why worry that an addon that you buy now, and probably gives you many hours of enjoyment, still works one year from now on whatever FS platform ??

And IF money is an issue: there (still) is so much freeware around to enjoy ......

Rob