Sign in to follow this  
WR269

Air Canada flight 624 runway overrun at Halifax

Just read, Air Canada 624 overrun the runway and sufferec considerable damage at Halifax. Aircraft appears extensively damaged but thankfully no fatalities.

Weather in Halifax is horrendous at the moment, it looks like it landed in the middle of a blizzard.

This is being reported around the world, even headlines in New Zealand. Goes to show the world is a wee bit edgy about Aviation at the moment. No one seriously injured from the sounds of it which is good.

I read about the 13 year old boy on the flight and called his dad on the cell phone and he said 'we crashed we crashed, I'm standing on the runway' Must have given his dad the fright of his life. 

Matthew Kane

I'm sure there was a lot of relief when he said he was standing on the runway. Feeling an aircraft sliding on a runway is scary.

I guess there was a downward gust, pushing the bus down hard, so a normal flare could not be done. That can and already has happened in a real stormy weather. Every landing you can ealk away from, is a good one.

I live in Halifax and used to be on that flight at least twice a week.

Air Canada called it a "hard landing".

A hard landing?

As far as the news go here in Europe, the aircraft hit power lines before landing and crashed.

The pictures show an aircraft missing it's landing gear and it's engines crushed flat between the ground and wing.

A hard landing indeed :)

A member of the RCAF described it as a 'Hard Landing' that led to a crash. I think that statement best describes it best

It does look like this well become a hull loss

Matthew Kane

"aircraft touched down short of and below the runway threshold, clipped a powerline and approach light about 250 meters short of the runway, climbed the embankment up to the runway level and came to a stop past the threshold of the runway near taxiway B about 300 meters down the runway"

http://avherald.com/h?article=483e7337&opt=0

Awful week for Airbus indeed.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

"aircraft touched down short of and below the runway threshold, clipped a powerline and approach light about 250 meters short of the runway, climbed the embankment up to the runway level and came to a stop past the threshold of the runway near taxiway B about 300 meters down the runway"

http://avherald.com/h?article=483e7337&opt=0

From reading that I wouldn't call it a hard landing either considering it struck a powerline as well as other ground objects. When it hit the powerline it knocked out the power at the airport terminal at the same time.

Matthew Kane

Awful week for Airbus indeed.

Based solely on the news, it seems like a bad week for pilots. Two occasions where an aircraft was flown to the ground. This one though might be an accident (or at least partly due to weather).

The 0400z metar called the winds at 340/19G54. It looks like they were landing on 05 which gives them a crosswind well in excess of the A320's 38 kt limit. The metar also showed visibility of 3/4 mile. The minimums from an old plate for the LOC or NDB Rwy 05 is 1 mile.

Seeing how well this aircraft held up is testament to how well they build modern aircraft. A few of these recent events you see more people walking away with less injuries. This A320 smacked down hard and into a number of ground objects so it is amazing it wasn't far worse.

Matthew Kane

That's definitely a hull loss. No amount of Bondo or duct tape will fix that! Yikes.

Talk about 'landing short'...

It most certainly wasn't an 'overrun' of course, since one must actually be on the runway first.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Another point I just brought up with some friends......This happened in the winter in what was the biggest snow in that region in the past 10 years. That aircraft coming down before the runway basically just became the worlds largest toboggan 138 people on board, the snow must of contributed in reducing the friction significantly. 

Had this happened in the middle of summer with no snow it could have been possible that flames may have broken out. I am curious how much the snow contributed to preventing a fire.  

Matthew Kane