Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Let's Talk About The Best Add-Ons For X-Plane

In an effort to facilitate a smooth transition from FSX, I'd like your assitance in helping me create the best X-Plane 10 64bit available right now.

The best way for me to ask for help is to use FSX as a guide to help me with the add-ons that I want or can currently buy.

My FSX include:

1) FSX Acceleration + DX10 Fixer (Not Relevant)

2) Scenery (FTXG) What is the best world scenery texture available for X-Plane righ now?

I know that there's one being developed for season changes.

3) Airports + WOAI + GSX: What do you recommend for WOAI & something similar to GSX?

I'm sure that there are some great add-on airports. List you favorite.

4) Weather (REX4 + Shade + ASN)

What is the best weather texture enhancement for X-Plane X?

5) Planes:

Please list your favorites from single, to complex, to Jet, to Airliner.

6) Utilities: I use FSUIPC, Accufeel, & EZdok (Probably not relevant.)

Ideas?

I'm not certain how to set-up my GoFlight Modules or TrackIr 5, but if I stumble, I'll ask for help.

Thank you very much for making my transition easier.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

My fav planes in X-Plane

Carenado B200 + The B1900 

http://store.x-plane.org/B200-KING-AIR-HD-SERIES_p_302.html

http://store.x-plane.org/B1900-HD-Series_p_323.html

Then you have X-Aviation The Saab 340 for a study Sim aircraft

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/take-command-saab-340a-p-100.html

I suppose you have 3 main sites with a selection of nice things

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/

Scenery,  Planes, + Sky Maxx Pro among other items

http://store.x-plane.org/

A pinch of everything 

http://world2xplane.com/

A must for scenery 

• Upvote 1

I got only default aircrafts a few freeware which are excellent 

For Freeware Aircrafts and don't know about payware aircrafts.

CH650 

SportsCruizer

Twin Otter.

For Scenery

HD Mesh V3 + UHD V1 (UHD only advisable if you have a minimum of 16 GB but even HD V3 in Europe chews up some good amount of RAM especially Central Europe).

World2Xplane (recommend a high end CPU / ram and not to forget a strong GPU preferable with minimum of 2 GB VRAM) 

For Effects + Weather

No payware weather engine is yet available

SkyMaxxxpro

XUIPC + FSRealWX

NOAA Weather engine for Xplane

Headshake + X-camera (your Ezdok equivalent which will work with TrackIR) or you can try PilotView which is older.

Go to x plane forum .org and you will find loads free stuff and very good.

Aha I forget one stunning free-ware FLywithLua + RTH.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Of course then there's Real Terra Haze,  that's a game changer. Gives it that magical effect

DJ, you're giving up FSX completely?

I use all three sims at the moment... It costs a little more but on some days XP10 isn't the best sim either. It's definitely the best sim at night though. I could never give up my Realair planes from FSX though...

Airplanes for XP10 (I only know GA):

Any from Carenado (far better on xp than MSFS)

LES Saab 340 (they're working on a Citation)

X Aviation MU-2

Lancair Legacy FG by Aerobask

Dreamfoil Bell 407

Freeware: Eclipse 550 2.0 (at .Org)

Sbach 300 (at the Org)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I use all three sims at the moment... It costs a little more but on some days XP10 isn't the best sim either. It's definitely the best sim at night though. I could never give up my Realair planes from FSX though...

I don't use three, yet. Only FSX and X-Plane 10. I could never give up the RealAirs either. I switch back and forth a lot. X-Plane has some fantastic sunrise, sunset, and night visuals, and then Orbx (FSX) scenery at dusk, can also look awesome.  If I had to pick one, I wouldn't. Don't need to. Plenty of Hard drive space.

these are essential

PILOT VIEW

X CAMERA

WORLD TRAFFIC

URBANMAXX

SKYMAXPRO

aircraft Carenado are awesome lot better then FSX

757 professional latest

Jardesigne a 320 with FMC bug ¨

flight factor a 350 is gone be awesome ...

and

HD Mesh Scenery v3 don't fly with out it ....

I don't use three, yet. Only FSX and X-Plane 10. I could never give up the RealAirs either. I switch back and forth a lot. X-Plane has some fantastic sunrise, sunset, and night visuals, and then Orbx (FSX) scenery at dusk, can also look awesome.  If I had to pick one, I wouldn't. Don't need to. Plenty of Hard drive space.

Hi, Larry, I'm really glad to see you got a new rig and are back at it.  Unfortunate you're not back in the RV though huh?  Does your lovely better half flight sim with you hehe?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

DJ, you're giving up FSX completely?

Noooooooo! The Carenado Hawker & Aerosoft CRJ are on the radar,

I just want to learn all about X-Plane 64 and slowly transition to profeciency.

I love flying at night and nothing beats X-Plane for Night flying.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Does your lovely better half flight sim with you hehe?

No, she just doesn't get as excited about simming as the RV flights.  A retired 777 pilot fly's the RV these days.

If you like helicopters then you can't beat Dreamfoil's stuff. The Bell 407 is my favourite.

For GA, most of Carenado's and Alabeo's stuff is really good and familiar from FSX. Although I prefer the X-Plane versions. I do miss Realair's stuff, and would love to see these on X-Plane. 

For tubeliners, well I was never really a fan of flying them, but I did like the NGX on FSX. I can recommend X-Aviation's Saab which is not too automated so it has some difficulty to flying it :smile:

Scenery wise:

- HD Mesh v3 (An absolute must), and if you like it, make sure you give Andras a donation to show your appreciation. The equivalent product on FSX would cost quite a bit of cash and it's not often we show our appreciation to freeware developers.

- If photoscenery is your thing, then grab hold of G2XPL and make some photo tiles yourself. This app is available for whatever you want to pay for it via a donation, but is definitely worth it. It will also create photoscenery of the HD Mesh.

- I would recommend UHD Mesh, but it's an absolute beast on my computer in the Alps (Although Andras does warn about it ;-)). It's really good though in places like the Grand Canyon.

- World2XPlane, yes, yes I know, I wrote the thing ;-)... but if you've got good data in the area you want to fly and a decent machine, then this can add even more reality to your flights. But, I won't stress this enough, check the area you has actually has data (in OpenStreetMap) and you have a decent machine to run it.

Plugins:

- SkyMaxx Pro, I wouldn't leave home without it ;-). This is an incredible plugin which not only transforms the skies but also improves performance as well.

- RealTerraHaze, see the video Poppet posted above. 

- PilotView for configuring cameras, TrackIR

For GA I'd also recommend VFlyte's Piper and Navion over at the org. Gorgeous little planes.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

For weather, I strongly recommend you use the XPGFS NOAA weather plugin. I actually prefer X-Plane's default 3d 'puff' clouds to Skymaxx's 2d clouds that rotate as you rotate, but to each his own.

As for jets, it's common knowledge that Flight Factor's 757 is one of the best, closely followed by the B777. For the latter, if you're purchasing it, make sure you also download and install a free cockpit retexture that makes it look far more realistic.

GA planes: Carenado, no doubt.

Textures and scenery: as everyone else has mentioned, HD Mesh v3, G2XP and W2XP are very good starting points. Also get ISDG's and MisterX6's individual airport scenery packages, available from x-plane.org.

For weather, I strongly recommend you use the XPGFS NOAA weather plugin. I actually prefer X-Plane's default 3d 'puff' clouds to Skymaxx's 2d clouds that rotate as you rotate, but to each his own.

As for jets, it's common knowledge that Flight Factor's 757 is one of the best, closely followed by the B777. For the latter, if you're purchasing it, make sure you also download and install a free cockpit retexture that makes it look far more realistic.

GA planes: Carenado, no doubt.

Textures and scenery: as everyone else has mentioned, HD Mesh v3, G2XP and W2XP are very good starting points. Also get ISDG's and MisterX6's individual airport scenery packages, available from x-plane.org.

Hi,

Thanks for your post

Whereabouts do you download the Cockpit texture pack for the 757?

Welcome DJJose,I think you'll find X-Plane 10 64bit a very stable platform,and a truly immersive desktop simulator.Like anything else new it does come with a learning curve.Some find it harder than others.You just need to be patient and take things slowly.

Along with the great suggestions above let me give you mine. CZST Stewart by Beti-X

http://beti-x.com

An incredibly well done pay ware scenery for X-Plane.

Have Fun!!

http://youtu.be/x1sEOgt9Wvg

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick