Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

Simconnect Dilemma

First off, I am now running FSX SE. Due to some problem which now escapes my memory (not difficult to do nowadays), I DID run all of the SimConnects located in the SE SDK area (Legacy Interrface) and I do remember that it fixed my problem. And everything seems to be working just fine.

However - I am getting ready now to start using FSUIPC exclusively to run my X-55 controllers, and in the process, I have stumbled across LINDA.  Since I am borderline ADHD, I immediately veered off in that direction, and started reading all about LINDA. Stay with me here - the LINDA manual suggests editing my Standard.xml file to remove the controllers easily, instead of going into FSX and doing it manually. And, of course, it recommended an XML editor from TweakFS.  Okay, I'm on a roll now. Downloaded the editor and ran it, and it is supposed to find 4 XML files: dll.xml. exe.xml, controls.xml, and (tah,dah!) Simconnect.xml.

Well, it found every one with the exception of the Simconnect.xml file. At this point, the app offers to re-activate it, restore it, and copy-and-paste one.  Sheez! I thought this file was fairly critical to the way FSX works (humor me...I'm going on 70!). I DO have Aivlasoft's EFB running on a client, but that's all, and it's working great. Other than that...  So I did a search on my C drive, where the file is supposed to reside, and found it all over the place, but not in C:\Users\GPBarth\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SimConnect.xml.

So what I'm asking here is why would this Simconnect.xml file NOT be located in the aforementioned area, and is there any significance to the fact that it is not?  I'm okay with ignoring it's absence if there is no penalty to doing so. I just thought that this file seems to be the problem in a lot of different scenarios, and it being missing from the proper folder may cause me problems downstream.

Input, anyone?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I seem to remember that the very first time I set Active Sky up for a networked connection, I had to manually copy an example of Simconnect.xml from the SDK Core Utilitities directory into Appdata/Roaming/whatever/it/is directory. I don't think it gets placed there automatically by either an install of FSX, or by installing the SDK. Also, I don't think the file needs to be there unless you are trying to do Simconnect networking. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect.

I do recall now that the problem WAS with EFB, so it was a networking issue. And as EFB seems to be working well right now, I don't think the lack of this file in the C:\Users\GPBarth\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ directory is causing any problems.

But since this little editor utility is looking for it there, I had to find out if it not being there could cause a problem.

-= Gary Barth =-

Hi Gary,

As KingGhidorah correctly mentions above, the SimConnect.XML file is not present by default.

It will only be put there by addons that use SimConnect for networking purposes (or manually, for example using the TweakFS XML Toolbox).

All the best,

Fermin Fernandez
FSWidgets & TweakFS Developer
Melbourne, Australia (UTC+10)
FSWidgets  logo.png

Fine by me.  As long as everything is working, I won't worry.

Thanks!

-= Gary Barth =-