Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

Editing FSUIPC for LINDA

I'm just now converting over from FSX controls to FSUIPC exclusively, and LINDA looksl ike the next step, because I have several complex aircraft (PMDG 737 NGX, 777, MadDog, etc.) and want to use my new Saitek X-55 controllere to it's max potential.

However, I am a bit concerned with hacking away at my FSUIPC4.ini and Standard.xml files. I know, I know, I've backed everything up, just in case. But why delete the wrong stuff and have to re-do this over and over? The manual says to "make sure you delete from FSUIPC4.ini all (emphasis mine) the current assignments for...your joystick/yoke."  It also mentions deleting all of the [button] sections, which is fairly straightforward.

So, in FSUIPC4.ini, do I delete [Joynames]? Do I delete [JoystickCalibration]? Do I delete [Profile] entries? [Keys]? [Axes]? I think I have a grip on the Standard.xml file, but I'd like to get the FSUIPC file right the first time, too.

I did delete what I thought was right, ran LINDA, and my Saitek pedals were not found. ???

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I've used FSUIPC/LINDA for quite some time. This doesn't make me an expert by any means. But I think I've made just about every mistake imaginable, and learned from a couple. This is what I would do. This assumes you are starting fresh with FSUIPC and LINDA:

NOTE: If you have backup software, I would do a backup of your Modules folder before each major change. Great insurance.

-copy your Standard.xml and put it somewhere safe.That way you can restore if you are unhappy with the results

-install FSUIPC if you haven't already

-start the simulator to initialize FSUIPC. Close the simulator

-if you want to keep the profiles separate from the main FSUIPC4.ini file, go to the General section and make sure this entry exists in this form...UseProfiles=Files. This will create a folder with a file for each aircraft profile you create

-install LINDA into the Modules folder

-open LINDA and configure the program

-determine which aircraft you need to configure

-go to the LINDA Downloads sub forum and download the required profiles. I think the latest LINDA installs only include a Default profile

-install the profiles into the Modules folder

-each profile should have a linda\aircrafts\aircraft name folder and a linda - cfg\aircrafts\aircraft name folder

-open Options -> Controls in your simulator

-delete every assignment for each of your controllers axes' and buttons.  Do it again...they are easy to miss

-once you are satisfied they are all deleted, create a copy of the modified Standard.xml in case you want to start with a clean slate

-open an aircraft\flight and create a profile in FSUIPC

-assign the axes for the aircraft and calibrate if desired in FSUIPC. Others may disagree, but I see no reason to calibrate any control in the sim options, that is available to be calibrated in FSUIPC

-FSUIPC will save the assignments and calibration for each aircraft profile you create. If you decided on UseProfiles=Files, there will be a file in the Profiles folder for the aircraft

-open the LINDA interface

-select the profile for the appropriate aircraft

-assign the buttons to your controllers in LINDA

If you have already assigned everything in FSUIPC, 3 viable options:

-back up your FSUIPC4.ini and Profiles folder (if you have one)

-either go into each profile and delete the button and keyboard shortcut assignments (this can be dangerous)

-or assign a button to LINDA and immediately open FSUIPC and delete that button assignment. Do this for each button assignment, for each controller, for each aircraft. That's the longer, safest way

-finally, you could delete the aircraft profile in FSUIPC4.ini and the profile file in the Profiles folder. That gets rid of everything in FSUIPC quickly, and is safer than option 1, but you start over with axes as well

Hope this helps a bit. If you have any further questions, let me know. Also, the FSUIPC forum and the LINDA forum here on Avsim, offer top notch support.

EDIT: Regarding Saitek pedals. Do bear in mind that LINDA only does buttons and keystrokes. It does not do axes. That's probably why you don't see the pedals.

I have been running FSX (now FSX SE) with FSUIPC for some time now, and am fairly familiar with configuring my aircraft using it. I have decided, after having calibration problems with my Saitek X-55 controller, to try and use FSUIPC exclusively. And again, I have set up several of my aircraft using it with no problems.

But now I'd like to go that extra step and be able to assign my controllers to the more complex operations, using LINDA. But the instructions to prepare LINDA are somewhat confusing to me - I'm not really sure which entries to remove from FSUIPC4.ini. I think I successfully edited my Standard.xml file, but still not sure what to delete from the FSUIPC4.ini file.

And in the case of my pedals, on page 8 of the LINDA manual, Joysticks Setup, it shows the screen where the setup is done. In the top window, titled Joysticks/HID controllers, the third entry is for Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. While I know that LINDA doesn't do axes, the pedals ARE an HID device, so I wondered why they weren't being detected. Also, since they were NOT detected, should I be removing them from the FSUIPC4.ini file?  

I'd love it if someone would give me some examples of what I should be editing, especially from the FSUIPC file.

Also - my FSUIPC4.ini file already has a line UseProfiles=Yes. Do I change that to "=Files" or add the =Files line?

-= Gary Barth =-

Below is my FSUIPC4.ini file, complete. I have highlighted the portions I think I am supposed to remove. Input?

[General]
UpdatedByVersion=4939
History=BME5ALPTUXSC9B11YNG1D
InitDelayDevicesToo=No
SteamTerrainPatch=No
NewInterceptTextMenu=No
UseSystemTime=No
UseMidMouseBtn=Yes
MouseWheelMove=No
MouseWheelTrim=No
MouseWheelTrimSpeed=1
JoystickTimeout=20
PollGFTQ6=Yes
BlankDisplays=No
FixControlAccel=No
FixMachSpeedBug=No
DeleteVehiclesForAES=Yes
AutoScanDevices=Yes
VisibilityOptions=No
OneCloudLayer=No
CloudTurbulence=No
CloudIcing=No
GenerateCirrus=No
SuppressCloudTurbulence=No
MaxIce=-4
MinIce=-4
UpperWindGusts=No
SuppressWindTurbulence=No
SuppressWindVariance=No
WindTurbulence=No
TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0
TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40
SuppressAllGusts=No
MaxSurfaceWind=0
WindLimitLevel=200
WindDiscardLevel=400
WindAjustAltitude=No
WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000
SmoothBySimTime=No
WindSmoothing=No
WindSmoothness=2
WindSmoothAirborneOnly=Yes
PressureSmoothness=0
TemperatureSmoothness=0
DisconnTrimForAP=No
ZeroElevForAPAlt=No
ThrottleSyncAll=No
WhiteMessages=No
ShowPMcontrols=No
SpoilerIncrement=512
MagicBattery=No
RudderSpikeRemoval=No
ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No
AileronSpikeRemoval=No
ReversedElevatorTrim=No
ClockSync=No
ClockSyncMins=5
ClearWeatherDynamics=No
OwnWeatherChanges=No
TimeForSelect=4
LoadFlightMenu=No
LoadPlanMenu=No
PauseAfterCrash=No
BrakeReleaseThreshold=75
SaveDataWithFlights=No
ZapSound=firework
ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring
UseProfiles=Yes
UseProfiles=Files
EnableMouseLook=No
DelayedMouseLookZoom=No
AxesWrongRange=No
TCASid=Flight
TCASrange=40
AxisCalibration=No
DirectAxesToCalibs=No
ShowMultilineWindow=Yes
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=No
AxisIntercepts=No
DontResetAxes=No
InitDelay=0
GetNearestAirports=No
OOMcheck=Yes
WeatherReadFactor=2
WeatherRewriteSeconds=1
CustomWeatherModify=No
SimConnectStallTime=1
LuaRerunDelay=66
Console=No
FSVersionUsed="Microsoft Flight Simulator X",10.0.62608.0
SimConnectUsed=10.0.62608.0

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
0=Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino Throttle
0.GUID={DAFC6520-B3A4-11E4-8003-444553540000}
1=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
1.GUID={5BF3C800-21B0-11E2-8001-444553540000}
2=Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino Stick
2.GUID={DAFC1700-B3A4-11E4-8001-444553540000}

[Axes]
PollInterval=10
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,256,D,4,0,0,0
1=2X,256,D,1,0,0,0

[buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
1=P0,7,K103,8
2=P0,8,K97,8

[AutoSave]
Next=1
Interval=60
Files=10
SaveOnGround=No
AutoSaveEnabled=No

[GPSout]
GPSoutEnabled=No

[GPSout2]
GPSoutEnabled=No

[WideServer]
WideFSenabled=Yes

[sounds]
Path=D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\Sound\
Device1=Primary Sound Driver
Device2=Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Device3=Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
Device4=Headset Earphone (2- Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000)
Device5=Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)

[Profile.A2A Cessna 172]
1=C172R N990CP

[Axes.A2A Cessna 172]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,1,F,65765,0,0,0
1=0Y,1,F,66292,0,0,0
2=1X,1,D,7,0,0,0
3=1Y,1,D,8,0,0,0
4=1R,256,D,3,0,0,0
5=2X,3,D,1,0,0,0
6=2Y,1,D,2,0,0,0

[JoystickCalibration]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
Aileron=-16384,62,67,16383
Elevator=-16384,-11,512,16383
Rudder=-16384,0,512,16383
LeftBrake=-16384,16383/16
RightBrake=-16383,16384/16
Throttle=-16384,16191
Mixture=-16384,16383
PropPitch=-16384,16383

[buttons.A2A Cessna 172]
2=P0,5,C65758,0
3=P0,6,C65759,0
4=P2,5,C65752,0
7=R0,7,C65607,0
8=R0,8,C65615,0

[Keys]
1=80,8,65561,0
2=89,8,65557,0

[Keys.A2A Cessna 172]
1=80,8,65561,0

[Profile.Cessna Grand Caravan C208]
1=C208B Grand Caravan EX

[Axes.Cessna Grand Caravan C208]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,256,D,4,0,0,0
1=0Y,1,D,5,0,0,0
2=0Z,1,D,6,0,0,0
3=1X,1,D,7,0,0,0
4=1Y,1,D,8,0,0,0
5=1R,1,D,3,0,0,0
6=2X,1,D,1,0,0,0
7=2Y,9,D,2,0,0,0

[Keys.Cessna Grand Caravan C208]
1=80,8,65561,0

[buttons.Cessna Grand Caravan C208]
0=P0,5,C65758,0
1=P0,6,C65759,0
2=R0,7,C65607,0
3=R0,8,C65615,0
4=P2,5,C65752,0
5=R0,0,K113,8

-= Gary Barth =-

Hey Gary,

Looking at your ini file, it appears you have the Grand Caravan and the A2A 172 set up. I would make a copy of your FSUIPC4.ini file and put it in a safe place. I would then delete the FSUIPC4.ini file in the Modules folder. FSUIPC will create a fresh copy, next time you start the simulator. You will then have a clean slate to work with. The only thing you will lose that you will need to recreate, will be a profile for each of the aircraft and their axis assignments. That would not take too long and would be the safer bet. There will be no concern about what to keep and what to delete. It will cost you about 45 minutes to an hour.

After you have deleted/recreated the ini file, just decide if you want profiles in the ini file, or in a separate folder. The choice will be UserProfiles=Yes which I think is the default, or UserProfiles=Files. There should only be one entry. Either =Yes or =Files. Do this before you recreate any profiles.

After you have created the 2 aircraft profiles in FSUIPC, setup the axes for the two aircraft.You can then proceed to assign the buttons and keystrokes in LINDA. If you wish, you can setup the keystrokes in FSUIPC. Your choice.

Given you only have 2 aircraft profiles at the moment, that's the way I would go.

Hey Gary,

Looking at your ini file, it appears you have the Grand Caravan and the A2A 172 set up. I would make a copy of your FSUIPC4.ini file and put it in a safe place. I would then delete the FSUIPC4.ini file in the Modules folder. FSUIPC will create a fresh copy, next time you start the simulator. You will then have a clean slate to work with. The only thing you will lose that you will need to recreate, will be a profile for each of the aircraft and their axis assignments. That would not take too long and would be the safer bet. There will be no concern about what to keep and what to delete. It will cost you about 45 minutes to an hour.

After you have deleted/recreated the ini file, just decide if you want profiles in the ini file, or in a separate folder. The choice will be UserProfiles=Yes which I think is the default, or UserProfiles=Files. There should only be one entry. Either =Yes or =Files. Do this before you recreate any profiles.

After you have created the 2 aircraft profiles in FSUIPC, setup the axes for the two aircraft.You can then proceed to assign the buttons and keystrokes in LINDA. If you wish, you can setup the keystrokes in FSUIPC. Your choice.

Given you only have 2 aircraft profiles at the moment, that's the way I would go.

Thanks, Graham. That's exactly what I needed to hear.  I thought that maybe just deleting the FSUIPC4.ini file would do the trick, but wasn't sure. Like you said, I had only gotten around to ywo aircraft before all of this started, so it's no big deal to start over. besides, I already had the entire Modules directory backed up, so the old .ini file is there, too. I'll make sure the Standard.xml file is edited as well, then it's back to LINDA.

I'll be glad when all of this is over.  It's driving me batty! Not that I'm not already there! :crazy:

-= Gary Barth =-

You're welcome Gary. Make sure everything is deleted in your simulator Controls options pages. Duplicate assignments create issues. Once you're sure there are no button or axis assignments in your simulator options, it's a good idea to keep a copy of that modified Standard.xml. It will come in handy if you ever want to reinstall. You won't have to delete the assignments again.

I'm deleting everything "controller" from my Standard.xml file, and I have already disabled the controllers in FSX. Is that enough? The FSUIPC4.ini file has been saved elsewhere, so I'll start FSX, which should create a new one and open with no controllers, and go from there.

Keep your fingers crossed.

-= Gary Barth =-

Also my toes

Well, I loaded FSX, started LINDA, went to FSUIPC and set up all of my axes for the A2A C-172, and all went very well. I then went into LINDA, opened up the X-55 stick, and attempted to assign button #6 to the Parking Brake, in the Default FSX commands. No joy. Nothing happens.

Back to square 1.

-= Gary Barth =-

Do you have A2A Cessna 172 and C172 profiles for LINDA? If so, check you haven't assigned to the C172. That's the default Cessna Skyhawk. If that doesn't work, try moving the C172 folders out of LINDA and try again. If that doesn't work, try assigning something else to the button, like one of the A2A Cessna 172 Electrical Switches. If that works, you have a good idea that your system does not like the FSX Default parking brake. I use P3D and I was able to assign the Default FSX Parking Brake to my joystick, with and without the controls activated in P3D. Failing that...

When you pressed button #6, did the cursor in the LINDA Joystick Page move to that button? If not, I would go to the LINDA support forum and start a thread. Andrew(ScotFlieger), who has taken over a lot of the development and support; is very, very good.

I did not have any LINDA profiles downloaded, and started fresh. When LINDA asked me for my aircraft, I created one named A2A C-172, and chose using that as a template. I then opened the joystick set-up and clicked on the #6 button on my X-55 stick (that's the one on the lower front), and, yes, the 6 button lit up in LINDA. So I chose the FSX default commands, chose the Parking Brake, and saved the choice. Didn't go any further. Now, this all started after I launched FSX, to create a new FSUIPC4.ini file, and then launched LINDA while FSX was running. I had been setting up all of the axis commands through FSUIPC with no problems.

So now I minimize LINDA, go to my Cessna and click on the 6 button. Nothing. I went back, deleted the assignment, and tried again. Nothing. When I ran LINDA, it found both the stick and throttle with no problems, and said that everything was okay, so I'm at wit's end as to why it isn't working. I'm at work right now so I can't try anything else until late tonight, but I'm open to more suggestions. I'll check in on the LINDA support and see if anyone there can walk me through this, too.

Thanks for the response.

-= Gary Barth =-

Any time. Last suggestion would be to download the A2A C172 profile from LINDA Downloads. Delete the profile you created. Install the LINDA profile and give that a whirl. That will save you a bunch of time in any event. You will be taking advantage of a number of custom events created by the authors of the module. If you wish to use your own profile (Not LINDA's) try using the Set FSX Control button near the bottom, as opposed to Default FSX, where you can search for the control by name or by number. Use PARKING_BRAKES 65752. See if that works. If you still are not getting anywhere, go to LINDA support. ScotFlieger is excellent. I really would download LINDA profiles for any aircraft you plan to use. They save a lot of aggravation. 

One quick question: I downloaded the A2A Cessna, and the instructions say to "Download and unzip it and place the two folders into: */Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Modules" The two folders that appear when I unzip the file are _MACOSX  and A2A_C172_v1_03. What is the function of the _MACOSX folder? For some reason, that folder is missing from my original LINDA set-up, but it is in the LINDA Zip file.  If this folder is not present, what will happen? This might be what my problem is.

-= Gary Barth =-

Think that's if you are using a Mac