Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

FSX and FSX Steam Edition side by side installation how?

Guest JustanotherPilot

I have the PMDG 737NGX installed on a dedicated FSX/SSD drive E:\. I have installed FSX Steam Edition under the Steam \.\.\.\common\FSX. on my G:\drive, I would like to install the 737NGX into Steam edition with the current update version (1.10.6436) which has the FSX Steam edition installer. When I run the installer I am prompted either to repair or remove the 737NGX installation. I would like to have the 737NGX in both of these platforms until more of my addons become FSX Steam Edition compatible, before I remove FSX all together in favor of the Steam Edition.

Can I have the FSX  boxed and Steam Edition versions installed  at the same time on different drives, for the use of both.  If so, does anyone know how to install the Steam Edition.

steve s

Side by side will give you nothing but drama. eg ORBX doesn't support it and never will. The scenery and aircraft configs in steam are named differently in a dual install..more headache

What add ons are not compatible?

Yes you can have them on different drives

zoran maksic

ZORAN

You need to uninstall the NGX you have, then reinstall with the new installer. It will ask you if you want to install on FSX, FSX-SE, or both, just say both. Then go into the Operations Center to repair your liveries. That should do it. Then whenever you install a livery through the OP Ctr, it will install on both FSX's.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest JustanotherPilot

Thank you Zoran and thank you Tom.

Then whenever you install a livery through the OP Ctr, it will install on both FSX's.

Not quite,  The OC treats FSX and FSXSE as two different products.  It only modifies the aircraft.cfg file for the product you have selected.  You only need to download once but you need to install twice.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can reference your scenery and aircrafts from FSX-SE and effectively have a dual install.    Please see the posts by Pete Dowson in the thread "Are people switching to FSX Steam".

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Not quite,  The OC treats FSX and FSXSE as two different products.  It only modifies the aircraft.cfg file for the product you have selected.  You only need to download once but you need to install twice.

Your right, I was thinking of another addon. My apologies to the OP. The OC on my system only has a place holder for the FSXSE products. So that appears to be an issue on my installation. The way I was able to get my liveries installed in FSX-SE was to use the Flight1 FS Registry repair tool pointing to the Steam FSX folder. Then download and install again. I would have to switch back to install to FSX Box, but I've been doing all my NGX flying on steam, so that hasn't been necessary. One thing to note to the OP, this whole discussion is moot, if you don't already have the PMDG T7, as the NGX did not come with the OC. Something I keep forgetting. In that case you would have to do the installations by downloading the liveries from the PMDG website or where ever the livery you want is hosted (AVSIM) , then install using the NGX's livery manager of a .ptp file or manually if zipped.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

as the NGX did not come with the OC.

The NGX now has Operations Center.  I have not seen any reports of problems installing liveries for FSXSE, and certainly have not experienced that myself. Sounds like the registry repair tool fixed that for you.

Dan Downs KCRP