Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Manual DME update (CIVA INS), why?

What are the reasons one would want to do this (see topic)?

I question this only because sometimes when I load a saved game the INS is all goofed out.  Waypoints seem loaded but the plane does not at all go to the proper point.

I'm guessing that my plane position while in flight is not seen properly by the INS and I somehow have to retell ( aka as Alignment?) the INS where the plane's exact current location is.

This sound right? I'm trying to learn all this btw.

Thanks for any help.

The INS is not 100% reliable and will drift away from it's alignment over time. DME update realigns the system again by using radio triangulation to determine the current position of the aircraft. This is under normal operations of course. What you are experiencing seems to be a faulty loading process, but if you can fix it by doing DME updating then I guess it's not quite a gamebreaking issue

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I'm a bit confused on why the INS needs to have the Present Position entered in seperately if Alignment procedure calibrates everything?

I'm kinda confused by that question, You need to give it a starting point for the INS to figured where to send you.

The INS can't guess where you're located.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

I'm kinda confused by that question, You need to give it a starting point for the INS to figured where to send you.

The INS can't guess where you're located.

My thought is that if the Alignment process includes DME's then I should think the INS can triangulate its current location without being told so. That is what we are doing with the DME Updating procedure, right?

I'm guessing it has to do with the rules and laws of aviation rather than the technical challenge of implementing such a system. I'm not an expert tho, I'm just a guy who likes to fly sims. I might be completely off target

For us as users it doesn't really matter that much, as you would still have to load the DME data then tune radios to be able to align the system. It takes a lot longer time than just entering the present position at the stand.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Have never tried what you are attempting.   Given that SOP is to start with entering PPOS and align,  I suspect you're attemting a procedure it cannot handle.   And,  the INS remembers where it was last, which is why it will give you an error that must be cleared after enter PPOS if you have teleported to another airport somewhere.  Sounds like something whacky in loading saved states.  You might check at the simufly forums and ask them directly there.

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it