Sign in to follow this  
JeffEvans

Saitek throttle "jumps"

Have been flying PMDG 777 since it came out with no problems, then, (must have changed something) the throttles jump when I start to move them.  They jump directly to around 50%.  If I pull them back they go to "0".  I use the FSX controllers setting and have never had any problem... till now.

Would appreciate any help from the community.

Jeff Even

Rocklin, CA

I've seen this behaviour from the Saitek throttles before (not specifically with the PMDG 777, it was happening with all aircraft).

As soon as you touch the throttle axis, the throttle in the sim jumps to about 50%. Very frustrating.

I think from memory the solution was to unplug the joystick and plug it into a different USB port (this causes Windows to refresh it's native controller driver, which doesn't happen when you unplug and plug back into the same USB).  And then to perform a calibration of the joystick using the windows built in controller calibration.

Lastly, do a final check "in sim" to make sure that you're deadzones and/or sensitivity haven't somehow set themselves to odd values.

Good luck!

Hi Jeff. I had the same problem in FSX, fixed it by setting my sensivity all the way to the left (I believe),

But then it returned when I migrated to P3D and installed the 777.

I couldn't get it to work in P3D, so eventually I did a fresh install of FSUIPC, then mapped all my controls through FSUIPC and deleted them out of P3D.

Play with the sensitivity first, because it's easier, but if that doesn't work, FSUIPC mapping might be an option. I have Saitek Yoke, Throttle, then a flight stick too.

Also, check if you have a joystick with a throttle, make sure it's down to zero or you'll have a conflict. That's happened to me as well.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Also make sure that the calibration under windows is still correct.

Rob Robson

Have been flying PMDG 777 since it came out with no problems, then, (must have changed something) the throttles jump when I start to move them.  They jump directly to around 50%.  If I pull them back they go to "0".  I use the FSX controllers setting and have never had any problem... till now.

First, ensure you have the latest drivers.

Additionally, always run the Saitek software before each use to ensure you're using the best calibration. In my case, I've always noticed that the Saitek software doesn't see the full range of the hardware's motion until I run all the sliders and axes through their full range of motion on the calibration page. This could certainly cause what you're seeing.

Kyle Rodgers

First, ensure you have the latest drivers.

Additionally, always run the Saitek software before each use to ensure you're using the best calibration. In my case, I've always noticed that the Saitek software doesn't see the full range of the hardware's motion until I run all the sliders and axes through their full range of motion on the calibration page. This could certainly cause what you're seeing.

Really? that is weird.....and a little annoying too.

I dont use my Saitek throttles anymore but I have never seen that.

At the moment I use Saitek Cessna Yoke and Saitek combat rudder pedals......and they dont have that problem either.

I use the Saitek drivers, but not the Saitek software.

Rob Robson

Really? that is weird.....and a little annoying too.

I dont use my Saitek throttles anymore but I have never seen that.

At the moment I use Saitek Cessna Yoke and Saitek combat rudder pedals......and they dont have that problem either.

I use the Saitek drivers, but not the Saitek software.

I also power my sim comp down after just about every flight so I'm not wasting energy. I'm assuming that's why I see what I see, but it's a good practice to check it regularly.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks all for the suggestions.  Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying all of them.  Maybe it's time I switched to FSUIPC for my controls rather than FSX.  Your thoughts??

Jeff

There are many who love FSUIPC and probably just as many that dont see the point of using it. So I dont think there is much sence in starting a pol here unless you have a specific problem or need and want to know how to best solve or cater for.

As with any new software FSUIPC comes with a guide that is a must read.

If you are willing to read, then I do recommend FSUIPC.

If not, and especially if you dont miss any functionality using FSX own Control assignments and calibration, then just stick with the FSX menu.

Rob Robson

Thanks.  After a couple of hours of frustrating FSUIPC work I've decided to stick with FSX controls.  Things are still "jumpin" though.

J

Thanks.  After a couple of hours of frustrating FSUIPC work I've decided to stick with FSX controls.  Things are still "jumpin" though.

J

I assume you have two Saitek throttle quadrants?

Are both of jumping and allways from idle - 50% - idle?

Because if you mean that they are simply inconsistant and erratic then you have to consider they are broken......end of life :-(

I have had that happen with my first Saitek TQ after about a year.

They are equipped with quite low quality potentio meters that break down due to dust/dirt collection easily. A well known problem......just google it and you get tons of posts about it.

Again......if you go into the windows control panel.

And type "USB game controllers" in the control panel search bar (top left) a new windo should open with all your USB joysticks and TQs.

Click on your saitek and hit properties.

Move your TQ thrust levers and see if the red bars move smootly or erratic.

And give us some feedback after you have done this and previously mentioned suggestions please.

(at the moment we dont even know if you have the current Saitek driver installed or not).

Rob Robson

This reminds me of my NASCAR Racing days. I had a $700 controller with $2.00 POTS ...I got pretty good at changing POTs, so good that I could change'em during a pit stop.

Something to try in a pinch: shorten the range of the throttle motion within the calibration app  -in your case, begin and end the throttle motion above the trouble spot.

Thanks for all the help!  After trying several different fixes and Pete Dowson's registry fix the problem still wasn't resolved but I found that using the Z axis for ALL throttles works as that axis doesn't jump.  Will continue to experiment and let you know how it finally turns out.  BTW to 777Simmer's question, I  only have 1 throttle quadrant and it is a replacement less than a year ago after my first one went south.

J