Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Outerra 0.8.4.5377

This latest Update to Outerra was primarily bugfixes leading up to the upcoming release of (Tada!) 3D clickable cockpits and more. Most of the changes were under the hood, like greater CPU efficiency etc, but there were also some cosmetic changes as well to the overall scenery coloration. All in all, Outerra continues to push forward.

These pictures cover some different areas as well as planes. A reminder that Outerra is intended to be a whole, living world, from the grass up, not simply a flightsim.  :smile:

screen_1427823347_zpse63lw61t.jpg

screen_1425537405_zpsfvdfm738.jpg

screen_1427823024_zpsjc1lhddm.jpg

screen_1427822670_zpshfrorswa.jpg

screen_1425799499_zps9urb2zwy.jpg

screen_1427823256_zpsgfubelgt.jpg

screen_1426669646_zpsd4cq2qjq.jpg

screen_1427589873_zpsut9uinw4.jpg

screen_1425799626_zps9xojkmj9.jpg

screen_1427822685_zpswqzu14wm.jpg

screen_1425799525_zpsq3izaulf.jpg

screen_1427822623_zpsb5yqchwg.jpg

screen_1427822846_zpsdwmboujz.jpg

screen_1427821452_zpsn0eq9nja.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Guest Mik75

Really tasty!

Is it much work to set up the demo of Outerra to work like a flightsim and to look like that (with the Cessna)?

Most additions to Outerra come as OTX format files which when clicked, auto-install the selected items.

An initial setup of outerra is very simple: http://www.outerra.com/demo.html

The initial dowload: about 500mb, And optionally you can download the entire world. I say optionally, because you also have to option to let it all stream in realtime from the web, but I prefer the speed and convenience of the entire download, which is about 14gigs

The ability to use the default planes and have access to more advanced options is $15

After that, you just choose what you want to add either from the main site, or from one of the Outerra 3rd party download sites.

Keep in mind Outerras Alpha (but steadily advancing) status, and you should have fun!

http://www.outerramods.com/

http://outerramodels.com
/

The Cessna itself (as well as many other planes) as part of the advancement of Outerra is about to have some major enhancements to the FDM; http://forum.outerra....php?board=41.0

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Guest Mik75

Thanks a lot for the fast and detailed answer!

I might give Outerra a try, just to know what it's able to do and how it looks in person! The screenshots and videos I've seen so far are really appealing!

Simply WOW...almost looks real!

Darryl

Thanks a lot for the fast and detailed answer!

I might give Outerra a try, just to know what it's able to do and how it looks in person! The screenshots and videos I've seen so far are really appealing!

Keep in mind its not a full fledged (or featured sim) at this point, and you will be fine. I would say the closest thing to compare it to is Aerofly. Only I think its actually ahead in many, many ways and can only get better.

Devons rig

Nice shots HiFlyer :smile:

Thanks Acetone :-)

Devons rig

Keep in mind its not a full fledged (or featured sim) at this point, and you will be fine. I would say the closest thing to compare it to is Aerofly. Only I think its actually ahead in many, many ways and can only get better.

Terrain rendering and lighting are the main strengths IMO. The scenes just look so atmospheric and realistic, and loading in a new area takes seconds instead of minutes like X-Plane and P3D/FSX. Of course we haven't really seen yet how the graphics engine handles large cities with thousands of objects. Some of the towns in the Alaska scenery contain lots of objects, but it's nowhere near what you'd find in a large city.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Terrain rendering and lighting are the main strengths IMO. The scenes just look so atmospheric and realistic, and loading in a new area takes seconds instead of minutes like X-Plane and P3D/FSX. Of course we haven't really seen yet how the graphics engine handles large cities with thousands of objects. Some of the towns in the Alaska scenery contain lots of objects, but it's nowhere near what you'd find in a large city.

I've started to work on a larger scenery and perfs results are good for the moment. I've changed my settings to have buildings loaded when they 2px large, so a really distant draw distance for the models. It's far from being complete, but the perfs are really good. I'm using only flight-sim proofs models for this one (World2Xplane models, converted by Levi).

You can see the result here.

I'm also really curious to see how Outerra handle a large amount of objects, but so far no problems :)

I've got around 50 fps, it's around 5 less than when I remove all buildings and roads. It's not exactly Manhattan, but there are a lot of models in this area, and there will be a lot more when I will have finished. In this screen, you can see some medium sized buildings, 20km away from the camera. There are around 2000 objects in view.

Of course we haven't really seen yet how the graphics engine handles large cities with thousands of objects. Some of the towns in the Alaska scenery contain lots of objects, but it's nowhere near what you'd find in a large city.

Actually there are a few short videos out there of Outerra pushing an impressive amount of polygons.

After using the program for a while now, I would estimate that even with all the effects its currently running, such as global HDR, ambient occlusion, self shadowing, terrain and object shadowing, Clouds, real time atmospheric scattering, etc, (not to mention upcoming things like cloud shadows and God-rays...) Outerra still runs on par with current simulators and actually a bit faster I suspect, though we know thats subjective..

And this is as the developers stress that the program is still not optimized....

For those that don't really know that much about Outerra except seeing the occasional nice picture, the kicker, is that Outerra runs primarily on the GPU, meaning that the CPU remains clear for all the stuff Simmers like to tack on. (Though I have no doubt that given enough time Outerra too can be loaded down with enough stuff to affect frame rate effectiveness) 

Something to consider about Acetones last picture is that he is achieving those results on a relatively modest machine. The supercomputers many of us tend to buy for running our current sims acceptably, tear through Outerra with....... very nice results. (My settings are pretty high)

FPS is not the major buzz-kill for Outerra. Right now, for many simmers here, its going to be the lack of cities and other man-made landmarks.(and sophisticated avionics)

Acetones demo areas show what's possible, but currently, Outerra is a very pristine world. Help is coming with promised support for the import of OSM and other databases, and as you can see Tonywobs buildings are already available, but for now, Outerra is still bush country.

I personally don't mind. I like being in on something fresh and exciting and being one of the first to try and to give feedback on the new features for Outerra as they become available. Its a new community, its growing, and potential is in the air. I think of it as if I've joined a long-term Alpha or Beta test group.  :lol:

Again, regarding framerates.   :lol: Here is something to consider: The video directly below, shadows and all, is being run on a Nvidia GT 640!

C'mon folks, you know what would likely happen if you tried running this on a current sim with that type of card......

One more, slightly less impressive:

Devons rig

WOW freaking amazing shots!

I truly hope this will become the future FS.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Go outerra go!

* FS2004 Supersky * ( Atmo Ambient Environment addon) creator.
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment addon ) creator.
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A
mbient Corrector Tweek ).

[Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit]