Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

What to invest in FSX-SE vs Prepar3d dilemma

I know there have been previous threads but this is a big decision. I already own FSX and Prepar3d 2.5 but with the recent sale of FSX-SE and release of pmdg ngx into both platforms I'm at a crossroad.

I've already had to buy the turbine duke for prepar3d literally a couple weeks after I VP gut it for FSX due to it releasing and now buying another ngx after buying it just back in October seems nuts.

How much better is FSX-SE for the discount price it is at right now? I'm in dx9 and I have a lot of add-on in FSX so I would have to reinstall all those right?

I have prepar3d running pretty darn good now but I'm worried about the ngx in it.

Anyone been in the recent situation lately and can offer an opinion?

I bought FSX-SE just to have a backup. It seems to run fine alongside my FSX and P3D installations, but I personally prefer to stick with FSX. It runs very stable on my system and I have two reasons to avoid buying stuff for P3D:

1) The license policy. I am fortunate enough to qualify for the educational license, but LM really can sell this product as training/educational system only. I am sure MS and Dovetail will force LM to be more restrictive with their selling policy if LM is taking too much of a bit of the leisure market.

2) The PMDG pricing policy is not to my liking, but I don't want to miss out on the PMDG planes that I have for FSX.

Peter

You could always restrict your purchases to products that had a dual-license, aka Aerosoft products, Orbx products, Carenado/Alabeo, etc.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I bought FSX-SE just to have a backup. It seems to run fine alongside my FSX and P3D installations, but I personally prefer to stick with FSX. It runs very stable on my system and I have two reasons to avoid buying stuff for P3D:1) The license policy. I am fortunate enough to qualify for the educational license, but LM really can sell this product as training/educational system only. I am sure MS and Dovetail will force LM to be more restrictive with their selling policy if LM is taking too much of a bit of the leisure market.2) The PMDG pricing policy is not to my liking, but I don't want to miss out on the PMDG planes that I have for FSX.Peter

Not really sure what you mean by any of this...

He's talking about adding fsx se, not an fsx/fsx se vs p3d. So in answer to your statements:

- Fsx se seems to run better than fsx, at least for most people but I guess that can very from case to case.

- I don't see ms forcing anything, as their deal is already in place and dt would have no say in it. P3d has been going on for years it's not something new, and nothing that would change regarding licensing. At least there is no reason for it.

- not sure what part of the pmdg pricing policy you are talking about. As the OP is asking about fsx se, you should know that pmdg is making the appropriate fixes for all addons that were for fsx to work for fsx se as well, and this is being given for free...

If FSX is running well for you, keep it, and ignore FSX-SE  B)

That is what I am doing.

Bert

Well in a way I am kind of deciding between sticking with FSX but with the FSX-SE (which I don't have yet) vs. Prepar3d. Mostly due to the pricing policy of pmdg. 

What he meant was the fact you soend $80 on a airplane, then have to do the same thing in Prepar3d without any discount like you get with other add-ons. Sucks in my situation because I just bought the ngx not too long ago for FSX.

If FSX is running well for you, keep it, and ignore FSX-SE  B)

That is what I am doing.

Well I would say it is running sufficient but not fantasitc. I would be happy if it could be a bit smoother and I was contemplating if FSX-SE would do this.

Hi Raven,

sorry if my post was not clear.

- Fsx se seems to run better than fsx, at least for most people but I guess that can very from case to case.

FSX:SE runs fine but has some issues with Simconnect, which is a different version than the original FSX version. That creates issues with some addons. Given the stability of my FSX installation I therefore don't see the point to switch.

- I don't see ms forcing anything,

Not yet, but currently P3D sales are more or less negligible (I have talked to a representative of a major Flightsim addon company who said that FSX completely dominates their sales). If that ever changes then I would be surprised if Dovetail, who holds the gaming license for FSX, wouldn't protest against P3D selling their training software to gamers as well.

- not sure what part of the pmdg pricing policy you are talking about. As the OP is asking about fsx se, you should know that pmdg is making the appropriate fixes for all addons that were for fsx to work for fsx se as well, and this is being given for free...

The OP seems to have similar issues like I do: "buying another ngx after buying it just back in October seems nuts. "

I am rather disappointed that PMDG asks you to buy the same product twice if you switch from FSX to P3D. I would understand if they ask for, say, about $50 for the P3D version if someone already owns that plane for FSX. They do not give any discount for existing customers, which I find frivolous. I therefore decided not to buy PMDG products anymore, but I certainly want to enjoy the planes that I already have. So it's FSX or FSX:SE for me.

And of course: if you can buy FSX:SE for $6 then I don't see why one shouldn't buy it. The financial risk is nil.

Peter

Guest JustanotherPilot

I bought FSX-SE when it was on sale for $5, at that price I'm not worried if I don't use it, however, I find  I'm using it more than FSX as it's seems more stable and all my FSX scenery and addons work okay. P3D is good but still a work in process and has ongoing developing potential, the Academic License is still cheaper than a lot of third party aircraft. In other words, why not buy them both.

FSX:SE runs fine but has some issues with Simconnect, which is a different version than the original FSX version. That creates issues with some addons.

That's a problem with the addons, not FSX-SE.  The so-called "original" SimConnect was version 60905, and very few add-ons will run with that.  There were two update -- one for SP1 and one for both SP2 and Acceleration. Some add-ons need one specific one of those, some need another, and just a few will accept whatever SimConnect version they can find (i.e. like FSUIPC).

However, the solution is easy. Look in the SDK folder of FSX-SE, and in Core Utilities you'll find the whole set of Legacy interfaces -- three SimConnect.msi files which will install all three "original" SimConnect versions.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I also purchased FSX SE whilst on sale. I did not install it, instead I have it in my Steam library for future use. One feature of Steam I do like is that if for some reason your install starts degrading for what ever reason, you can do a clean install of your game without having to uninstall, clean things up before doing a complete reinstall. You just use the steam verification feature and you have a fresh vanilla install.

as for P3D, no dilemma for me, what you get for what you pay(P3D + pricy duplicate addons) is not for me. I would rather use that extra cash toward hardware upgrades.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

My rig is old - GTX280. I could hardly get through a flight without FSX stopped working with the boxed version. Out of frustration, bought FSX SE at the full $25.00 price six weeks ago (it's now apparently $12.49 "full price" after the $5 sale ended). My GTX280 will not even run P3D. I have REX, ORBX FT Global, Vector and LC Europe, FS Tramp, FS Captain, DX10 Fixer all installed and have not had a single crash in six weeks. At these prices, it would seem worthwhile just in case the cat scratches your boxed DVD. As for me, no regrets on paying full price, the results have been well worth the money.

1) The license policy. I am fortunate enough to qualify for the educational license, but LM really can sell this product as training/educational system only. I am sure MS and Dovetail will force LM to be more restrictive with their selling policy if LM is taking too much of a bit of the leisure market.

I agree about this.  It has not happened yet and this may or may not happen but with Dovetail now having the entertainment rights, I wonder how long before LM decides to require proof of eligibility (similar to other non entertainment companies, such as Adobe).  Lets face it, how many Academic license customers truly meet the requirements for that license.  That is one of the reasons why I am waiting for a later version of P3Dv2, to see what happens.  The other is that I do not want to have to make all of my addons work on each interim release of P3D so I am going to wait to purchase a later release of P3D.  As for new addons, If I already own a FSX license and the developer decides there should be a separate license for P3D, at this time I will probably pass, i will have both simulators installed.  I have purchased a couple new aircraft that had bundle deals, I figured it does not hurt to future proof.  Now regarding FSX-SE, my hard drive died so I needed to start from scratch.  I went ahead and purchased FSX-SE and so far I am very happy with it.

Mike

8It has not happened yet and this may or may not happen but with Dovetail now having the entertainment rights, I wonder how long before LM decides to require proof of eligibility (similar to other non entertainment companies, such as Adobe).

Well it's been 6 years now and LM haven't had any such desire, so no need to instigate fear .... conversely, Dovetail don't have the rights to make significant code changes to FSX per their agreement with Microsoft.  

We have the license to re-release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. However, we will include all possible bug fixes we can. 

Dovetail will be working on a "NEW" product using some of Microsoft's technology.

Dovetail's announcement today is for a global licensing deal with Microsoft. What that means is the company now owns the rights to develop new games using the technology from Microsoft's games--rights it plans to put to use by releasing a new game of some sort in 2015.

I'm interested to see what this "New" product is about, I don't really have any interest in FSX-SE's path as there is only so far you can go with bug fixes.  Will this NEW product have any compatibility with FSX products, will it have a supported SDK, will it get updated graphics, will it be 64bit ... who knows, only Dovetail knows.

But either way, for it to be a NEW product, it will not be FSX.  Dovetail clearly have two developments going ... one is bug fixes to FSX SP2 code base and the other uses some technology from Microsoft (no specifics here, could be tech from MS flight, FSX, ESP) to produce a entirely new product.  I'm NOT going to speculate what this new product will be, but I certainly am curious.

On the LM front, I'd advise against creating legal fears where none exists.

Cheers, Rob.

All new addon purchases I make are for P3D only.

I have deleted FSX and now use FSX-SE for all flights using non p3d compatible addons.

However I do go through an anxiety filled ritual every time I make a purchase, hoping that I'm making the correct decision.  :-)

Cheers

Steve

Well it's been 6 years now and LM haven't had any such desire, so no need to instigate fear .... conversely, Dovetail don't have the rights to make significant code changes to FSX per their agreement with Microsoft.  

Dovetail will be working on a "NEW" product using some of Microsoft's technology.

I'm interested to see what this "New" product is about, I don't really have any interest in FSX-SE's path as there is only so far you can go with bug fixes.  Will this NEW product have any compatibility with FSX products, will it have a supported SDK, will it get updated graphics, will it be 64bit ... who knows, only Dovetail knows.

But either way, for it to be a NEW product, it will not be FSX.  Dovetail clearly have two developments going ... one is bug fixes to FSX SP2 code base and the other uses some technology from Microsoft (no specifics here, could be tech from MS flight, FSX, ESP) to produce a entirely new product.  I'm NOT going to speculate what this new product will be, but I certainly am curious.

On the LM front, I'd advise against creating legal fears where none exists.

Cheers, Rob.

DTG have rights to use the abandoned MS Train Simulator 2 engine for their new flight sim. Don't be surprised if former Aces developers are involved in this.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.