Sign in to follow this  
Vlooi

P3Dv2 and Windows 10

I have been running with the Windows 10 preview for quite some time on my gaming PC. To be honest, I have found over the past few months Windows 10 to be super stable and more user friendly than Windows 8.1.

Tonight I started a game I am replaying, Oblivion (heavily modded), after installing the latest preview build 10049, with the NVidia 349.90 driver specifically for Windows 10. To say my jaw dropped is understating it. I simply could not believe the HDR effects, colours and performance increase after the new build was installed.

I immediately decided to go "wild", and am now upgrading my Prepar3d machine from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 preview. I just have to see whether I will get the same improvement on my flightsim machine. My Prepar3d has got a load of add ons, and will test all of them, and report back.

DirectX 12 has only been included since build 10041, and yes, developers do have the responsibility to make their software utilise the advantages of DirectX 12, but I can state that my game play has changed for the better, some subtle, some more dramatic, even older ones.

So, I'm holding thumbs for something positive with P3D. I'm getting tired waiting for NVidia for their SLI profile. So if Windows 10 can give me just the slightest improvement, it may all be worthwhile. On the other hand, things may just as well go south tonight...

Let us know what happens! I've been thinking of installing the Windows 10 Preview and would like to know what to expect.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I will definitely do. It is now installing the update as I type.

Meaning, I'm using windows update to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 build 10049. Very convenient, very comfortable. Takes about an hour and half on my system for the download to finish and the upgrade installation.

I'm hoping you see something good, if not now sometime in the future.  As I understand it, some DX11 and previous calls may go through or may in turn call optimized DX12 functions.  Or in other words previous versions will overlay DX12.  I have not confirmed that but I did see in in a couple of places that I consider reliable (but since it's not work related I'm not exactly keeping track of where I saw them like I normally would)

Hi all,

Get ready for a loooooonnng upgrade. Started last night, its now morning, been leaving my machine on overnight, and now only at 23%....

I think it's because of the size and complexity of P3D and all the add ons installed. Patience...

Denali, you are correct. My deduction the same.

For info, I have the following hardware and software that will be tested:

Saitek yoke, throttle quadrants, rudder, multi panel, radio panel, switch panel.

P3Dv2.5 updated with latest hotfix.

Orbx Global, vector.

Rex texture direct

OpusFSI

A massive number of airplanes from Carenado, Milviz, Realair, Flysimware, etc. (I am an addict...).

African payware and freeware scenery packages, including landclass.

I'm waiting too for your reply,

I was just worried about W10 install drivers not being compatible with hardware like motherboard, sound card, yoke, rudder pedals etc.

Anyway I've started the upgrade and installing W10 now.

Iceman

Been using P3D v2.5 and windows 10 for a few weeks and so far very nice, with some good fps.

I'm interested as well if you notice any improvement in using Win10

I'm interested as well if you notice any improvement in using Win10

i have also been using windows 10 with p3d v2 for awhile, nvidia currrently released a windows 10 nvidia driver, prior to that the windows 8.1 drivers worked just fine

Driver compatibility should be the same for most devices, or Windows 10 would never get off the ground...

I found that Dolby Digital live doesn't work on Windows 10. For the rest, I didn't notice any changes between P3D on Win 8.1 and Win 10.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Yes, the Dolby was a problem on versions older than build 10049. The latest build did solve sound issues.

Guys, just an update, I ran into an I/O error during this morning's update. It's an age old irritation with my machine, so hopefully with the second try...

i have also been using windows 10 with p3d v2 for awhile, nvidia currrently released a windows 10 nvidia driver, prior to that the windows 8.1 drivers worked just fine

any disconnecting USB ports ?...that was my bigger issue with W8.....once loading T777 saturated CPU and USB flightpro joystick getting disconnected.......please advise

thanks

no disconnection last night. I need to spend more time with it this weekend to confirm

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.