Sign in to follow this  
MM

Australian Tour 1: Cattle, Coal, Sugar and Sand

Australian Tour 1: Cattle, Coal, Sugar and Sand      

Here we explore the central coast of Queensland. We start in Rockhampton, Australia's "Beef Capital." We fly through the great coal port Gladstone and the heart of sugar cane country in Bundaberg. In between, we pop out to see Lady Elliot Island, an exquisite coral island at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef. We end visiting the tourist cities of Hervey Bay and Maryborough while circumnavigating Fraser Island, the largest sand island in the world. All along, we experience different parts of the Tropical North, with its mixture of agriculture, mineral extraction, and tourism.

Routing           

We shall have some gaps as we go through parts of Australia. The distances between airports are great, so we shall pick and choose chapters of the Australian scene that we shall enjoy.

This week's destinations are: Rockhampton (YBRK), Gladstone (YGLA), Agnes Waters (YAWT),  Lady Elliot Island (YLTT), Bundaberg (YBUD), Hervey Bay (YHBA), Orchid Beach (YORC), and Maryborough (YMYB).

In list form, they are:

YBRK                       Depart              Rockhampton  

EastEnd           40       Flyover             East End Mine

Aldoga            7       Flyover             Aldoga Mine

YGLA              8       Stop                Gladstone

Boyne             7       Flyover             Boyne Island and Smelter

YAWT              35       Stop                Agnes Waters (Grass Strip)

YLTT              45       Stop                Lady Elliot Island

YBUD              52       Stop                Bundaberg

YHBA              39       Stop                Hervey Bay

YORC              32       Stop                Orchid Beach (Grass Strip)

Maheno            19       Flyover             SS Maheno Shipwreck

YMYB              32       Stop                Maryborough

Total distance is 316nm.

Aircraft

This week's distances here are slightly longer than before. Accordingly, you might well pick something slightly faster than last week. Probably something in the 170-220kts range. Say an Aero Commander 500, 520, or 560, Beech Bonanza or Baron, Cessna 177, 210, 310, or 337, Cirrus SR22, Lancair Legacy, Mooney Bravo, Piper Saratoga, Seneca or Twin Comanche, SIAI Marchetti SF.260, Socata Trinidad, or Vans RV7. Maybe the honorable Spartan Executive. Or whatever pleases you the most. We shall fly to a couple of grass runways, but that should not restrict your choice. These are not bush airstrips.

AUS_1_C310_YLTT.jpg

I shall fly the MilViz Cessna 310 in the attractive N310BV livery by Ron Attwood.

Scenery Addons        

Pilots should have OZx (updated through v3.4) installed as well as OZx libraries (v1.0 and v1.1). You can get all the OZx sceneries here.

In addition, you probably should install Anthony Lynch's freeware Aussie Airports, a package of 33 airports. While you are at Anthony Lynch's site, you might as well download his excellent freeware Boonah (YBOA), Watts Bridge (YWSG), and Ballina (YBNA) -- all three for the next week near Brisbane and the Gold Coast. You might also pick up his Brisbane International (YBBN) which is both freeware and more efficient than the Orbx version. (We shall fly over the area but not land here.) You can get Anthony Lynch's freeware sceneries here.

And, if you own it, you might as well activate the Orbx Hervey Bay (YHBA) as we shall visit that beautiful airport.

Also, you probably should install the Holgermesh Australia. (The OZx and Anthony Lynch sceneries were built for Holgermesh elevations.) The freeware AU Holgermesh is available through Orbx here.

For flying in Australia, the textures of Orbx Global will do nicely. But owners of Orbx Australia will want that installed because it provides more varied textures and also better landclass and autogen.

Finally, again for next week, you will probably want Max Kraus' wonderful freeware for Coolangatta Gold Coast Airport (YBCG). You can obtain the Max Kraus Gold Coast Airport, along with Update 1.01, here.

Participation   

Time: Saturday April 4, 2015. 18:00 UTC

(Note change in time to accommodate Daylight/Summer Time.)

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

The digital flightplan (in FSX format) and is available from the DropBox location here.

Please post your aircraft details in the MP spreadsheet so that we can see you in your true colors.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Great tour, I will try to make it.  Thanks for organizing.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I'm away with the family for Easter so unfortunately I won't be able to make it this weekend.  I'll try to fly the route (probably in the Legacy) next week to catch up.

Everyone have fun on Saturday!

Please make sure to fill out the MP Spreadsheet with the exact title of the aircraft matching the paint being used. This is the only way that FS will pick the exact aircraft every time. IE No pseudo aircraft replacements using FSX's aircraft picker. 

Examples from various aircraft.cfgs -

title=Lancair IV-P VH-LLW
title=RealAir Beech Duke N1873K Winglets Ventral
title=Ryan_Navion_B_N5429K_TTN
title=EC135 MED Eagle III
title=Aerosoft DHC-6 300 Tundra PAX
title=Airbus A321 Paint5
title=Extra 300S Paint4
title=Aerosoft DHC-6 Series 300 Wheels
title=Aerosoft DHC-6 Series 300 Solomon

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

You can find a descriptive "Cattle, Coal, Sugar and Sand" narrative here.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

looking forward to flight, Beechcraft duke for me.

regards.

Is that a Turbine Duke or piston Duke? And what paint are you using? I don't see it among the default RealAirs.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks again Mike.  It is the best part. 

I share your writings with my younger ( Non Aviation ) nieces. It's the little facts that make them all in all.......... Better.    

Nick- may you & the family have a safe & happy Easter

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Is that a Turbine Duke or piston Duke? And what paint are you using? I don't see it among the default RealAirs.

's OK. I got it. :Whistle:

Not up to the usual standard of PIREP but this is all I got!

walkabout4.jpg

Everybody ready?

walkabout2.jpg

OK, lets go!

walkabout3.jpg

I was only trying to be friendly! :rolleyes:

walkabout5.jpg

Will YOU be my friend?

walkabout1.jpg

We all made it before dark! Pretty close thing though. Left to right: Roger, Ron, Mike and Jeff

6"x4" prints are available for a modest fee.