Sign in to follow this  
Dazzlercee23

Having to manually download OPUSFSI.dll

Hi Stephen,

For many months I have had to manually download the OPUSFSI.dll file as for some reason it is being blocked, or will not save to the OPUS folder.

I have disabled the windows firewall, disabled and as a last resort uninstalled all AV, but still the problem persists.

Is there any particular port I should open on my hardware firewall (sky router) to allow the dll to be downloaded or does your program require any special permissions (UAC is also off)?

I assume the download location your program uses is the same as the manual download location which infers that access is not being blocked, but your program's requests are.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Daz

it's normally a case of turning off any AV program and trusting the FSISERVER.exe program through the Firewall. Could be your Windows Defender I suppose.

I have my Firewall active but just shut down Kaspersky AV completely when running the sim and testing OpusFSI.

Stephen :-)

Are you logged in as a System Administrator? Or try running the FSISERVER.exe program in Administrator mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/add-or-remove-items-from-the-windows-defender-allowed-list

I am administrator, but will try run as admin just in case.

Security Essentials is the AV I use, and I exclude the OPUSFSI folder and the .exe from scans etc.

Windows Defender is disabled automatically when Essentials is installed.

I have Windows Firewall completely disabled.

So, no software based security at all as far as I can tell and yet still no joy (I do re-enable when I've finished testing).

Daz

I always leave Firewall enabled, just trust the FSISERVER.exe program.

All AV programs will block DLL download even if you omit the OpusFSI folder and exes from scans. Normally an AV program must be shutdown. Trusting the exe will usually still result in blocking any DLL download.

I tried it with the AV uninstalled, but maybe Windows Defender then kicked back in - I will have to check.

I'm pretty sure I also trusted FSISERVER,exe when the windows firewall was enabled, but again I will double check.

Daz

you should try disabling your Security Essentials (AV) during the sim session, or just at the start. But I never run AV of any sort when simming. The Firewall is always on though.

From the web ...

1. Find the Security Essentials icon in your System Tray (usually it's represented by a little green house with a flag on top). Right-click it and choose Open.

2. Click the Settings tab.

3. Click Real-time protection.

4. Uncheck the box next to Turn on real-time protection (recommended).

5. Click the Save changes button.

So that's the equivalent of switching Security Essentials to "off." Do that, then go back to whatever you're trying to troubleshoot and see if it solves the problem. (If it does, well, that's a whole other can of worms.)

When you're done troubleshooting, repeat steps 4 and 5 (this time checking the box, natch) to turn Security Essentials back on.

After doing the above and running the FSISERVER, open the generated FSISERVER.log file and check the date/time of the OpusFSI.DLL file, it should be current if downloaded ok.

Just one question.

In the log, will the date of the dll file be the current date, or the date you last updated the file?

Regards,

Daz

It will be the date the DLL was last downloaded onto your system. So it should be obvious if it's just been downloaded.

Stephen

It will be the date the DLL was last downloaded onto your system. So it should be obvious if it's just been downloaded.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

1. Security Essentials real time protection disabled.
2. Windows Firewall enabled but with inbound and outbound rules to include FSISERVER.EXE in the allowed list.
3. System re booted.
4. OPUSFSI run as administrator.

Resulting log file:

OpusFSI Flight Simulator Interface

Log Generated 04 April 2015, 14:56 Hrs 

Installed Folder: C:\OPUSFSI

No Errors Detected.

Installed Files:

OPUSFSI.DLL   Version: 4.5.0.0  , 03 April 2015, 09:13 Hrs 
FSISYSTEM.DLL Version: 4.5.0.0  , 03 April 2015, 09:13 Hrs 
FSISERVER.EXE Version: 4.5.0.0  , 03 April 2015, 09:13 Hrs 
FSDECODER.EXE Version: 4.5.0.0  , 03 April 2015, 09:13 Hrs 

So the DLL is not getting updated from the original installed version.

I am at a loss with this one.

Are there any windows services I should check are running that FSISERVER requires or could my ISP be blocking the download (although I would think not as I can download manually)?

Thanks for your help,

Daz

I suppose it could be your router blocking the download. I know they can block site access.

I assume you have run FSISERVER as Administrator in its properties.

Stephen

I suppose it could be your router blocking the download. I know they can block site access.

Wouldn't the router also block the manual download assuming it is the same link?

Yes I have admin selected in the exe properties.

Daz

Not necessarily as manual download is really the Browser downloading it as opposed to the FSISERVER program. Don't forget to try running in admin mode via the programs properties.

Stephen

Not necessarily as manual download is really the Browser downloading it as opposed to the FSISERVER program. Don't forget to try running in admin mode via the programs properties.

Stephen

I've tried admin in exe and shortcut properties with no joy.

I assume there are other users with this issue with you making available a manual link. Could your server be blocking certain IPs?

It's a strange one.

Daz

All the files are on a BT Server, it's not ours. We have had no reports of anyone else having this issue.