Sign in to follow this  
dan777

I Just Joined the Prepar3d Crowd

I could not resist any longer, & just went ahead and joined the Prepar3d community...I am a long time FS user since the DOS 2.X or as we called back in those days MS-DOS days...now the FSX, & recently FSE:Steam edition.

Read so much about on this forum about installation tips & other issues before the install--a big thanks to all members, and managed to get P3D running in a few minutes, and it definitely does have that similar FSX feel, but the looks are definitely much more improved over my default/stock FSX...Just like most, have invested lots of FSX mods & add ons that cannot be ported over, so I guess have no choice now, but to begin the reinvestment process again in P3D, & I know, it will get expensive, however, probably not as expensive as my my Harley Davidson Project Rushmore 2014 FLHTK...that I ride when not flight simming...lol

So without further ado, & to make this post as short as possible, would like to ask some simple questions to the P3D community...

1. Best Turbo Prop - I hear Majestic MJC8 Q400 is most popular...

2. PMDG 777 - just bought this last night before the supposedly price increase after today, so this is not out of the way...

3. Best Scenery - I fly mostly southwest region, KSAN & KNZY are my base airports, but would not mind venturing out worldwide...

4. Best Airport Addon - I have not used one in the past...

5. Best Inflight Immersion environment - I heard FS2 crew...

Thank you,

Dan

Agree. Long time FS user. Was using the Steam version. I think I was under a rock. Finally went to Prepar3D site. Bought v2.5. and WOW! What a graphics revamp. No contest. With DX11 functionality this is a brand new sim. Now porting over sceneries and planes from FSX.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Welcome to the dark ( I mean HDR ) side, Dan .

If you prefer the larger airplanes, your list is a good start.

If you get involved in GA flying, I have to recommend the RealAir Royal Duke Turbine v2 with the F1 GTN750. Sweetest choice you'll make for P3D GA flying !!

For GA sceneries, ORBX (don't forget they have tons and tons of freeware airports) and UTX v2 for US and Europe.

WAT1460.png

I second the suggestion of the RealAir Turbine Duke V2. And it's worth it to buy the GTN 750 from Flight 1 Tech also. This combination of aircraft and GPS unit is probably the best of all the GA aircraft. The next best are the 3 A2A birds, the C172, the C182 and the Cherokee 180.

For accuracy and spectacular skies, ASN without question. I second the UTX V2 for USA & Europe.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

So far I've ported over Aerosoft's 2 sceneries Lisbon and Mallorca X. Perfect. The amazing thing is that my frames are running high and the sceneries look fantastic with v2.5.  I've ported over Carenado PC12 HD. Perfect. I'm going to try Aerosoft's A321. Any issues with this one?

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Wow, thank you all for the quick response, will definitely consider all your suggestions.

By the way my rig a home built i7-3770K quad core 3.5ghz overclock to 4.2ghz, got this some three years ago,

MSI Z77 MPower mainboard

8gig RAM DDR3,

400GB Samsung SSD

Dual Nvidia 660ti SLI DX11 compliant

Win7 64 bit Ultimate edition

With the exception of the video card, which by today's standard already outdated, what video cards are you running or would also recommend.

thanks,

Dan

the dark ( I mean HDR ) side

I actually laughed out loud there! well done!

Dan, sounds like you're more of an airliner guy so I'd recommend the Q400 too.

I use Orbx Global/Vector/OpenLC Europe. Highly recommended (but bump down the Vector options a bit)

Can't help you with airports (I'm strictly default airports)

I use FS2Crew too on the Q400 and the NGX, highly recommended also!

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

I recommend Pilot Edge, since you fly SW USA.

I second recommendations above

For scenery in your area:

ORBX NCA region, KPSP and KMRY airports

FSDT KLAX

FSDT KLAS

FB KSFO

Shez freeware KONT, KLGB

LatinVFR KSAN, KSNA

Sim720 KCRQ

For video card I'd get a GTX970 - if you can afford the 980 get that.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Unless the price of the 980 comes down - go with the 970. The difference in cost for the 980 is NOT worth the difference in performance unless you have $$ to spare.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Unless the price of the 980 comes down - go with the 970. The difference in cost for the 980 is NOT worth the difference in performance unless you have $$ to spare.

Vic

Agreed. I have an Asus GTX970 and P3D is running great. Can't possibly justify spending much, much more, for minimal if not non existent returns.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

970 owner here too. I couldn't justify the price of the 980. Went with the 970, couldn't be happier!

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

MJC Q400 is top of the range, incredible sounds and performance is the best I've seen. The PMDG 777, well, I don't need to comment much on that. Just look at all the forum posts on AVSIM. It's a beast! My favourite add-on airport is without a doubt FlightBeam's KDEN, it looks incredible but the performance is exceptional. I barely get a FPS hit with it. Their KIAD performs pretty well too. I also like Aerosoft's EIDW, it's a good size airport with good performance.

Hope this is of some use, and welcome to P3D B)  

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Again, thank you for the kind replies and suggestions...been adding what would be the costs, guess my original FS budget just went out the window...might give up riding the Harley-D to save some money... lol...thanks again all.

-Dan

Kiss your Harley goodbye in this hobby - kidding have fun 

Rich Sennett