Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Bouncing taxi in P3Dv2.5

One thing I've noticed now with the NGX in P3D and I'm not sure if it's P3D doing something or if it's part of the new NGX model for P3D, when taxiing there is a slight bouncing movement up and down. It's not much at all but enough that you should pay attention to it.

In a way I guess it's more realistic that the aircraft will move a bit up and down depending on what the taxiway looks like so I don't see it as a problem really, just a bit curious if it's supposed to be like this and if anyone else noticed it?

Richard Åsberg

In a way I guess it's more realistic that the aircraft will move a bit up and down depending on what the taxiway looks like so I don't see it as a problem really, just a bit curious if it's supposed to be like this and if anyone else noticed it?

Default or add-on scenery?

Add-on? Probably an issue with the add-on scenery and ordering.

Default? Probably one of the issues addressed by the intro manual.

Kyle Rodgers

I never use default airport scenery but I've seen the same thing at all my payware airports so I'll check the documentation.

The only thing I found in the documentation was a description of how the aircraft may bounce when you change views and this would be related to the mesh resolution but this is not what I'm seeing.

Not sure how I should explain it but when I'm taxiing sitting in the v/c looking straight ahead it's like I was riding a very "shallow" roller coaster where I see how the v/c in relation to the ground ahead of me moves ever so slightly up and down.

Oh well, not a problem really so I'll just learn to live with it and as I said before in a way I guess it's actually more realistic to have some vertical movement while taxiing since the taxiways and aprons normally won't be 100% flat.

Richard Åsberg

That is actually one of the really annoying habits of the real aircraft. As you taxi past about 12-13 kts, if the aircraft has been sat for a while the out of roundness of the nose wheels sets off a low frequency bounce. It's very distracting and can go after a shallow turn as the wheel flat spots missalign or if you taxi faster than 20 kts it also can go away after a while!

Call it a 'feature' of the real aircraft.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Ok, cool to know and it makes perfect sense what you describe.

Would still be interesting to know if this is a "feature" that was deliberately added by PMDG or LM.

Richard Åsberg

What? I thought this was related to EZdok so after turning off some settings there the bouncing effect went away...

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I don't use EZDok so what I see must be something else.

I wonder if it could be something with the head movement settings in prepar3d.cfg...

I know I always disabled those in FSX since I'm using Track IR but now that I think about it I'm not sure if I so far did the same thing now in P3D. Will check that.

Richard Åsberg

What? I thought this was related to EZdok so after turning off some settings there the bouncing effect went away...

I don't think it's caused by Ezdok. I don't have Ezdok in FSX (I do in P3D though) and it happens. If you go to the exterior model, the plane itself is bouncing.

Try setting your mesh to 10m and see if the problem goes away.  That's what I had to do (also had same problem with other aircraft).

I had the bouncing with the mesh set to 1m or 5m.

Maybe I try that but not sure if we're talking about the same kind of bouncing because that mesh thing is described in the doc as something that will make the aircraft bounce when you change views and that's not what I'm seeing.

Richard Åsberg

Maybe I try that but not sure if we're talking about the same kind of bouncing because that mesh thing is described in the doc as something that will make the aircraft bounce when you change views and that's not what I'm seeing.

Some addon airports like Flightbeam and FSDT require certain mesh settings for the scenery to work properly. Failure to use those mesh settings can result in a bumpy ride, taxiway bridges not rending correctly, etc. You should mention the addon airports you experience this at and also check the documentation that comes with those airports to see if they have a recommended mesh setting.

One other thing that can cause it is if the runway/taxiway in the AFCAD is not tagged with the correct surface. Once time I updated Geneva by FSDT and experienced the bumping while taxiing. It turned out the taxiways were tagged as gravel and not asphalt or concrete and that was what caused the bouncy taxing. One I changed the taxiway materials using ADEX to concrete the bouncy ride went away.

Just some things to consider.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Did you find a solution, Richard? Just took off from ESSA right now and the plane was bouncing like crazy during taxi. I don't seem to recall having this issue in the previous hotfix, with Arlanda X installed via the Migration tool. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Did you find a solution, Richard? Just took off from ESSA right now and the plane was bouncing like crazy during taxi. I don't seem to recall having this issue in the previous hotfix, with Arlanda X installed via the Migration tool. 

Nope, haven't found a fix and doesn't feel that important to me because in my case the bouncing isn't crazy as you describe it...more like you're riding a very shallow roller coaster as I described earlier.

And as someone else said above you see this IRL too so in that regard I might even prefer to have some of this bouncing effect.

Richard Åsberg

I flew a brand new one the other day and it does it too. It is an unfortunate effect caused by the nose wheels and the damping in the nose leg getting into a harmonic. You stop it by slowing down or speeding up but not taxiing at 13kts as seen on the ND top left corner GS readout.  I usually aim for under 10 kts for all tight turns, under 30kts taxiing and when you reach 30kts -brake down to 10kts then repeat. Carbon brakes wear as a function of the number of cycles, not how hard you press. It costs a fortune keep dabbing on them, but riding them creates a lot of heat.

Easy taxiing in- you just shut down an engine! Not approved for taxi out though....

Just avoid 12-15kts taxi speed!

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!