Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

What is this object floating outside the a319/320/321s?

Hi,

I have flown these a/c for years and never noticed this before. Has something just got corrupted or do all the a/c have this? It's something to do with the landing lights (there's one on the other side too), but why is there this detached object (it's not connected to the plane) floating just below the wing? How might I fix it? It's in all a/c, all models... Removing the [Lights] section from the aircraft.cfg files didn't remove it (I didn't expect that it would).

Thanks,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/martinlest/PSS.jpg

Martin

Isn't it a retractable landing light?

(or in this case, a detachable landing light ;))

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

It's a landing light, sure :-)  My thread title was misleading... it's what it's doing there floating unattached to the plane that would be good to know. Even better, how to stick it back to the fuselage, or wherever it belongs!

I am sure after several years flying the A3xxs, this is some new annoyance that's come up - I'd surely have noticed such a thing before. Could anyone with the same a/c kindly verify they don't have the same thing..

Thanks

Martin, I don't own that particular airbus so sorry for intruding, but if you set the lights to 'retract' on the overhead they *should* pop back in.

Although admittedly they shouldn't really look like that while extended. (floating)

Neil Andrews.

Ah, I was thinking of doing that very thing!! Or possibly with the iFDG planes.

How do I do it though exactly? How do I get all my PSS a/c textures to work with a different model? I would imagine it to be impossible, no? I'd just get grey textureless aircraft if I simply specify a PA model to use with PSS textures.

I already have the PSS panel merged with all my non-PSS Airbus a3xxs - if that is what you mean (but you do talk about merging models, not panels) - and it works really well, FMC and all. I really like PSS's other planes (Concorde/Boeings) but the only reason I keep these unfinished Airbuses is for the panel. I was going to replace all my PSS liveries with PA or iFDG versions and be done with it, but I have over 80 - it would take me days to find, download and install them all. So if I can use my PSS textures with the PA models somehow, that would be ideal, but can it really be done? It's 3.40am as I  type this (bout of insomnia!) so I may not be thinking clearly, but I'd say not....

Otherwise, many thanks for further instructions!!

Martin

I guess it isn't possible. How could the PA model read the PSS textures? How can you 'merge models'?

M.

I think he means use the PA Exterior model and liveries with the PSS addon?

Neil Andrews.

Sorry, I don't understand what that means (but thanks for replying nonetheless!).

The PSS liveries are based on just two bitmaps, which are not compatible with other models (mdl files). Similarly the PA aircraft need their own specific bmp files to make the liveries visible... you can't make the PSS liveries visible if you link them to a model, like PA, that they weren't designed/painted for.

I know of no 'trick' to make those bmp files work with a different mdl file, but maybe I am showing my ignorance! If anyone can work this 'magic' could you kindly reply with step-by-step instructions...

I've uploaded a lot of aircraft repaints to the AVSIM library, and if there is something this basic that I am not aware of, I shall be hugely apologetic - if you really can get PSS textures to load with a PA mdl file specified in the aircraft.cfg file!

Thanks!

Msartin :-)

You won't be able to use the PSS liveries.

You can replace the 'exterior' model of any aircraft by editing a config file (not sure what it is as I don't use it)

I think he's suggesting that you use the superior PA exterior model with the PSS VC/Addon. Obviously this means that you'll have to use only the PA liveries.

Apologies if I'm talking out my bum, it wouldn't be the first time ;)

Neil Andrews.

You can replace the 'exterior' model of any aircraft by editing a config file

Er, there's the aircraft.cfg file, you can of course change the model in that file (model=), but it must be a model supported by the aircraft, as you say: a PA model wouldn't show PSS textures. Therre's an mdl cfg file. I have never tried editing that. That file simply says what the normal model used is. I am not sure it's editable, as such.

..use the superior PA exterior model with the PSS VC/Addon

The panel, you mean? The VC is also part of the mdl file, so there'll be no VC will a PA model. My PA/iFDG A319/320/321s don't have a VC - maybe I don't have the VC models (I must check on the PA website to see if there are models with a VC).

The only way I can replace my PSS liveries is to download them for PA :( - a task from hell, but perhaps also a labour of love!!!

Later: No PA models with a VC on their website... No matter, I hardly ever go to Virtual Cockpit view. More important I have working taxi lights (which PSS omitted) - and no free-floating landing lights (I still need to see if I can't fix that somehow - no one with the PSS aircraft in their FS9 setup has posted yet to say if they have this oddity or not).

The panel, you mean?

Oops! Sorry.

I was thinking of the model.cfg, where you have two lines one for exterior model and one for interior/VC.

I didn't realise your addon was panel only.

This is what happens when I get involved in threads that I know nothing about!

Hope you get your problem solved soon. :)

Neil Andrews.

All contributions welcome! I am currently biting the bullet and replacing all my PSS liveries with Project Airbus. I am up to 'Alitatlia'. About 75 more searches/downloads/installations to go!!

Well, I have now replaced all my PSS liveries with Project Airbus (or iFDG) models, apart from a few like Canada North and Gambia Bird, which I can't find in any other guise. A few days 'work' but good to have all my a3xxx with taxi lights now (and, as far as I can see, no floating 'bits'!). The PSS panel works well with all of them too of course..

M. :-)