Sign in to follow this  
Airborned

PFDs freeze

Good evening,

I am experiencing an annoying issue with the latest version of SP1D NGX.

It appears only when I enter wind parameters for enroute waypoints in FMC. After the fifth ou sixth wind entry, both PFDs freeze… And never defreeze until full aircraft reload.

FMC aren’t usable anymore, they do not freeze, but only the current page LEGS page and the next one are available.

Check yourself (compare PFD with IFSD wich were true) :

pmdg737sp1d.jpg

Note that :

-       I use 1.10.6461 version (screen has been caught with just the former SP1d version, but I had the same problem twice with the newest one)

-       I never experienced such issue with SP1c or older

-       It could appears on ground as well as airborne

-       It appears whatever the EXEC method I use (EXEC after each wind parameter or EXEC after all, but for this last one, I often freeze before the end of points list)

-       The MCP is not freezed, but won’t response

I did not found such an issue already reported… Maybe I’m wrong.

Someone with a great idea to finish with those annoying freezing?

Thank you for help,

Benoît

First report of this problem, which means something is amiss with your set up.  I cannot imagine what it might be.  I have to admit I've not entered more than a few enroute wind changes but you should not ever have it freeze regardless of your inputs.

You didn't mention the platform, FSX FSXSE or P3D?  Unless you have both FSX and FSXSE installed, the installer will have a REPAIR option. Give that a try if you can.  In lieu of any advice, I recommend you submitt a trouble ticket at PMDG Product Support (support.precisionmanuals.com).

Report back the solution please.

Dan Downs KCRP

You didn't mention the platform

Yes, of course I forgot to mention among the most important parameter...

I only use FSX, it's the only simulator installed. 

I'll try a repair, but honestly I'm not very confident, the reinstall of the second version of SP1D would (probably) have solved that. 

Anyway, I'll follow your both recommendation, and also submit a ticket at the PMDG support. 

Regards,

Same Problem

I have no idea what your problem is.... and did you notice the original poster apparently solved his problem with either a REPAIR action or a trouble ticket?  A description of problem is very helpful.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have no idea what your problem is.... and did you notice the original poster apparently solved his problem with either a REPAIR action or a trouble ticket?  A description of problem is very helpful.

Why did I post in this topic?

I have the "same problem" as per original post:

It appears only when I enter wind parameters for enroute waypoints in FMC. After the fifth ou sixth wind entry, both PFDs freeze… And never defreeze until full aircraft reload.

FMC aren’t usable anymore, they do not freeze, but only the current page LEGS page and the next one are available.

I don't see that the poster fixed it but thanks for trying to be helpful.... :wacko:

-Peter Stantin

rb_banner_tech.png

Try running REPAIR with the installer.  Normally, a frozen display such as PFD and ND indicates a common FSX problem that is worked around with a change in camera views.  A frozen PFD only, not ND, and FMC odd behavior as described is so odd as to warrant the "are you sure?" response.  It's also the reason I suggested the trouble ticket.  Too bad the original poster did not report back with the solution.  Even if user input error, it would have been helpful to you.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have an issue similar to the ones mentioned above but this started prior to SP1D but I don't know if the PFD freezes or not. I have always been at the gate entering info into the FMC when this occurs.  On the second wind entry the CDU freezes with the direction/ speed  data on the scratchpad. It cannot be line selected up to the correct line. The FMC is dead in the water. The only thing to do is exit FSX and start over again.

I thought this was because I was working with a route that had been exported by PFPX. But that was not the case. When I enter the route manually , the FMC froze on the second wind entry. Here is what I did and it has solved the problem. Normally when a route is entered into the FMC, it is from the origin airport to the transition for a STAR. The STAR and runway would be entered once you find out what runway is in use. Now I go ahead a complete the route with STAR and a runway I think it might be. Once the complete route is entered, all of the wind data can be entered with no FMC freezes. The correct STAR and runway can be entered later if it is different than what I entered.  

I have an open ticket with the same issue although only occurring on a particular route at this time.

Not seen this issue until the latest release.

I have an open ticket with the same issue although only occurring on a particular route at this time.

Not seen this issue until the latest release.

Stephen

My problem started in January 2014 on one route. I could enter the wind direction/speed by waypoint on the RTE DATA page and execute it. Then all the altitudes would disappear from the ACT RTE LEGS pages. Consequently VNAV could not be armed and engaged. The route was oriented north/south, It eventually spread to all north/south routes and the started on east/west routes. That is when I figured out that if I entered the STAR and runway approach the altitudes would reappear on ACT RTE LEGS page.and I could use VNAV again.

I just checked my records and this current issue with the FMC freezes did start with SP1D. Until support solves the problem it would be worth a try entering the STAR and runway approach. The STAR does not need to be correct in terms of any speed or altitude restraints. Whatever is in the nav database is used. I adjust it later when airborne so that it agrees with the charts.

Thanks Michael, I have indeed checked your solution on the errant route and was successful in completing the FMC setup.

For me it linked to the IRS alignment in that I could enter all  the en-route winds prior to alignment completing, once it aligned however it all went haywire. What puzzled me for a while was that I then couldn't load a default panel state in working order, eventually I found clearing the failure timers for the specific aircraft .ini got me in a working position again.

EDIT: I mentioned your findings in the ticket ;)

I shall have to give up entering en-route winds until the issue is fixed and accept the loss of the associated predictions. On my last flight I needed to divert to my alternate due to weather and of course as soon as I changed the destination the arrival runway was deleted and the systems locked up immediately.

Just to note this issue occurs with both FSX and Prepar3D.

A bit of a bump, but I've been having this exact problem occasionally as well. I use FSX boxed, DX9. Funny thing, last time it happened, it was at almost the exact same altitude as the OP shows in the screenshot. I've had it happen at different altitudes though.

Hi guys,

After long exchanges with Ryan from PMDG support team, I finally obtained sort of solution. Well, not really a solution, but rather a way to avoid it. 

I exchanged with Ryan 2 full examples of flight that lead to screen freeze. 

Each one stating precisely step by step what I do.

Crashes always occurs at the exact same point.

Fact is, if no STAR is entered, in some condition the DUs will freeze.

If you load the STAR before entering wind, there is no crash at all.

The the solution at this point (and it perfectly works so far) is to enter the STAR just after the SID, and then enter cruise wind… That’s it.

Maybe a fix for the next update?

Thank you Ryan for the many exchanges.

Benoît

The the solution at this point (and it perfectly works so far) is to enter the STAR just after the SID, and then enter cruise wind… That’s it.

Many thanks for sharing that Benoit.  You can be assured that Ryan has entered this into their bug tracking system, which is one of the two benefits of using Product Support!

Dan Downs KCRP